DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Ar$e!

On my way home from work at traffic lights, as I put my foot on the clutch pedal, it decided it didn't want to come up again. Much pushing of car.....

On closer inspection, it isn't the cable that's gone. It seems that something is detached release-wise...

I'm starting to search now, but if anyone has any comments, please feel free.... :)

Car is being trailered back home tomorrow....

AGG 2.0 8v.

:cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
May 31, 2008
The clutch spring could have just slipped out of place? if so is a really quick easy fix.

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
my old red shed was sold to me with "either a clutch od gearbox related problem"... after a two minute drive , even I knew it was neither, once i got home, it was a case of re-sitting the clip back into place, and hey presto ... fingers crossed for you Bud
:D

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
god, i really wish i was could give advice in these type of threads. Sadly i am as f***ing hopelss. Love the kiwi leon though.

I will bow out of this now and let others help you.

:blink:

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
god, i really wish i was could give advice in these type of threads. Sadly i am as f***ing hopelss. Love the kiwi leon though.

I will bow out of this now and let others help you.

:blink:
:D Cheers, orangemuffin.

All is well at the pedal end. The car looks like it has actually had a new pedal box fairly recently. Good cable.

It definitely seems the problem is at the release end. If I get time later, I'll try taking the end cover off.

Question: is the housing (on the nearside end of the gearbox) that holds the release mechanism full of transmission oil? ie if I remove the end cover, will I get fluid everywhere?

I'm thinking not..........

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
We've had a houseful this weekend so I didn't get a chance to get near it until half-an-hour ago.

Removed the end cover, and all is as VW intended and working fine - except that the pushrod is fully in....permanently

P1010036-1.jpg

P1010037.jpg

I'd guess that the pushrod has punched through the release bearing......?

I'll have to drop the gearbox one evening this week.

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Sorry, I think I've grasped this now...

The release bearing is at the end of the box nearest the nearside wheel, so the pushrod rotates. The pushrod bears on the release plate (behind the friction plate) in the clutch.

So, most likely, the pushrod has gone through the release plate...