Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
D is the part number for the casting used to make them not the actual part number of the whole thing
RX is the end of the actual part number and is exchange unit hence the X for exchange

i have since discovered what the difference is on the early VW ones we were on about last week

original early models had 2x 6mm alignment pins inside for aligning the pressure plate and were lighter

later/modified one has a single 7mm alignment pin in and is a larger mass/heavier

*update*
needs cover (single/double cutout) to match by the way probabyl to do with the weight/mass

Last edited:

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
ye the 027105273D isnt an actual part number, well it is but not aftersales - it's the modified part used to make the later style flywheels from - a manufacturing blank number so to speak

just found the same number stamped on the following:

1.4 16v golf 98-
skoda octavia 1.6 (with 3 pins in)

and the part numbers for them end in P

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Fascinating. :yes:

So one couldn't actually identity it precisely.......

One thing that concerns me. The flywheel I took off has a chamfered back face the new one doesn't. I can imagine that the chamfer would make it easier to 'hook' the offside driveshaft flange round the back when mounting the box...

Last edited:

bobak

Opinionated non-mechanic
May 15, 2008
you can simply weld the end of the release plate back in place, without moving anything other than some trim. mine is being done now. my pedal went through all the way to the bottom and the car stalled and i lost the clutch entirely. RAC came out and showe me what was wrong... a lot to be said for RAC, especially when you're not a mechanic at all like me

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
you can simply weld the end of the release plate back in place, without moving anything other than some trim. mine is being done now. my pedal went through all the way to the bottom and the car stalled and i lost the clutch entirely. RAC came out and showe me what was wrong... a lot to be said for RAC, especially when you're not a mechanic at all like me

Sorry, you have no idea what you're talking about. The release plate is in the middle of the clutch, on the end of the crankshaft, and is a rotating part.

(The pedal box can be welded up - if that's the part that failed)

Last edited:

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
The flywheel I took off has a chamfered back face the new one doesn't.

i would imagine that's where some of the extra poundage has been added then - been told the modified one is about 2.5lb heavier

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
no - got enough of the damn things already and now they are all grown up i don't want any more :)

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Swapped the Sachs clutch kit over at ECP this morning. I've got a kit for a 90 2.0 8V PB Golf GTi. Exactly the same as the kit for a 98 Ibiza 2.0 GTI 8v AGG except the bore on the friction plate is a little smaller. The Golf kit was £19 cheaper...... :shrug:

It's unlikely I'm going to have time to sort it this weekend though. :(

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Managed an hour this afternoon.

Popped the PB clutch into the ebay flywheel...... of course the flywheel has one large locating pin, whereas the release plate is made for two smaller ones..... A quick bit of engineering with a grinder solved that one ( with a balancing cut on the opposite side ;) ) :cartman:

Clutch and flywheel all bolted and torqued up in place.

Drained the gearbox ready for its new MTL. I'd bought a new release rod and when I compared it with the old one, the old one had worn down by about 7mm. Popped a new release bearing in while I was at it.

Just need to pop the gearbox back on and bold everything back up now.

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Bloody hell Dave, not a moment too soon either. WHat a $h1tter o a job. Glad to see it's back on track!

Cheers Warren! When this first happened, I never expected to end up knowing everything there is to know about 8v Mk2 Golfs and their gearboxes...

I signed up to a Mk2 golf forum to get some info and I've already been invited to a sleepover.........

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.