DPJ's Silver Leon Cupra GT - no more.

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Great Dave, thank you.
Is the fire wall a bolt in panel?

Yes, but it's sealed in too - with sealant in the overlap. In the interests of science ( :D ) I unbolted it and gave it a few taps but it wasn't coming easily. I got a jemmy under an edge but I was bending it, so I gave up. (Probably needs a bit of heat to loosen the sealant - though it might be intumescent :shrug: )

There's a special sealed piece where the loom goes through in the passenger lower corner - they must fit the loom first, then the panel.

The obvious other conclusion is of course that a different bulkhead panel would make the shell LHD......

Remind me to get you a photo of the climatronic unit - It's only held in with four bolts - but two of them are well hidden. I made a mess of the padding/fireproofing piece on the engine side of the bulkhead - (behind brake lines etc) trying to get it out.

Last edited:

csd_19

May 11, 2005
Angus / Edinburgh
The obvious other conclusion is of course that a different bulkhead panel would make the shell LHD......

:think: Looks like the welded in bulkhead is an asymmetric shape underneath the sealed in panel so I reckon it'll take more than just swapping it out.

Car looks really weird without ANYTHING in there - as mentioned the SEAT logo stamped into the rear boot wall is a great touch!

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
:think: Looks like the welded in bulkhead is an asymmetric shape underneath the sealed in panel so I reckon it'll take more than just swapping it out.

I hear what your saying but looking at ETKA, the panel is listed LHD / RHD and I can't see other body panels that are. You could see that steering / footlevers would be accomodated through the lh side - The only reason I can think it's asymmetric is because the engine itself isn't handed ...... :shrug:

being cheeky here - how much have you made?

Nowhere remotely approaching what I spent on it, but more than I would have got for selling it whole. :)

phantombantam

NUFC forever!
Jan 23, 2006
Co Durham
Wow just looked all through this thread Dave and it's sad to see it just as a shell. I remember it from early on when you came to offer me your help on my red LCR with vag com. (in Coxhoe co Durham) looks like you must've enjoyed the project though. What's next?

PRATTY

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
saving that Job for the Alhambra ;)

:D The charabanc look - or open top bus?

p6313_charabanc_0414.jpg

Wow just looked all through this thread Dave and it's sad to see it just as a shell. I remember it from early on when you came to offer me your help on my red LCR with vag com. (in Coxhoe co Durham) looks like you must've enjoyed the project though. What's next?

PRATTY
Hi! of course I remember you! :)

No automotive projects for a while, I have a building project in Italy.

ndbrgr

THFC
Jul 21, 2008
Kent
Yes, but it's sealed in too - with sealant in the overlap. In the interests of science ( :D ) I unbolted it and gave it a few taps but it wasn't coming easily. I got a jemmy under an edge but I was bending it, so I gave up. (Probably needs a bit of heat to loosen the sealant - though it might be intumescent :shrug: )

Heat should bring it out. I remember seeing a guy on clubgti who put an entire Leon into a mk2 Golf. He got his out with fire. LINK to post.

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
I hear what your saying but looking at ETKA, the panel is listed LHD / RHD and I can't see other body panels that are. You could see that steering / foot levers would be accommodated through the lh side - The only reason I can think it's asymmetric is because the engine itself isn't handed ...... :shrug:

Also remember that when the car is LHD, the pedals are still CBA so no symmetry there...

csd_19

May 11, 2005
Angus / Edinburgh
Also remember that when the car is LHD, the pedals are still CBA so no symmetry there...

Meant to have a nosy on ETKA last night but forgot :rolleyes:

I'd have thought they'd make the hole in the bulkhead symmetrical then just have a different panel to bolt into it depending on LHD or RHD, but it doesn't appear to be the case from your pics. Although thinking about it, it doesn't matter what shape the bolt in bit is, as long as all the controls and bits can attach to it at the correct points.

TDi Ben

Oct 9, 2010
great googly moogly!! that is nice!, what difference does the TT bits make to the suspension?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.