Driver side indicators not working

John boy

Oct 14, 2018
hi all
Newbe here , the indicators on the driver side are not working I've checked the bulbs they are fine . However there is no 12 v supply to the indicator bulbs .
There is a bulb out warning lamp on the dash too.
I have had most of the dash out to trace the wires back but no luck . Can't find any relays or controllers for it any where .
Is the relay built into the hazard switch I wonder ?
Any help would be much appreciated or wiring diagram .
Many thx
John boy

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Hi, welcome to the forum!

Just one thing, I'm guessing that you have checked that the same thing happens when you switch on the hazard lights?

I'd think that these indicators/hazards are driven from the BCM so maybe that is where you should look for wiring, as far as I know, it is located up under the dash below the steering wheel.

Edit:- years ago the hazard switch housed the "flasher" function, but not now.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Have you swopped the bulbs side to side, ie both front and rear at the same time, lots of people fitted the wrong type of bulbs.

John boy

Oct 14, 2018
Hi, welcome to the forum!

Just one thing, I'm guessing that you have checked that the same thing happens when you switch on the hazard lights?

I'd think that these indicators/hazards are driven from the BCM so maybe that is where you should look for wiring, as far as I know, it is located up under the dash below the steering wheel.

Edit:- years ago the hazard switch housed the "flasher" function, but not now.
Hi many thx for your help
Yes the same prob is there with the hazards on too .
I have changed the bulbs but no luck!
Any chance you could send me a pic of the bcm location or even part no. ?
The brake lights seem to be playing up too .
Would they be wired into the bcm too.
Many thx
John boy

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
The BCM also called Cent. Elect, or J519, which is its circuit reference, could be 6R0 937 087 B.

Now it is a black rectangular block, quite thin, has many connectors plugged into it and is retained within a plastic cage which gets screwed to the car.

If you did buy a used one, plugging it in would allow you to check if that returned your brake lights and RHS indicators, but you would probably need to read your old one and copy its soft coding into the new one to make sure every thing worked as it should.

Brake light switch on these cars has caused some people problems, I think that it is a hall sensor that is bolted directly to the brake master cylinder, the other issue with brake lights not working properly can be wiring damage on the LHS body frame where the cable harness passes a bolt that in some cases damages the wiring, that bolt might be one of the bolts for the gearbox mounting, though I've forgotten so maybe not true. Though this function will get its output from the BCM like lots of other body related functions.

John boy

Oct 14, 2018
The BCM also called Cent. Elect, or J519, which is its circuit reference, could be 6R0 937 087 B.

Now it is a black rectangular block, quite thin, has many connectors plugged into it and is retained within a plastic cage which gets screwed to the car.

If you did buy a used one, plugging it in would allow you to check if that returned your brake lights and RHS indicators, but you would probably need to read your old one and copy its soft coding into the new one to make sure every thing worked as it should.

Brake light switch on these cars has caused some people problems, I think that it is a hall sensor that is bolted directly to the brake master cylinder, the other issue with brake lights not working properly can be wiring damage on the LHS body frame where the cable harness passes a bolt that in some cases damages the wiring, that bolt might be one of the bolts for the gearbox mounting, though I've forgotten so maybe not true. Though this function will get its output from the BCM like lots of other body related functions.
Many thx for your help all sorted now thx

John boy

Oct 14, 2018
What was the problem that was solved, it will be handy for others to know just in case they have a similar problem?
Sorry Rum4mo
It was a bad connection to the bcm that fed the driver side indicators. This wire was black with a green stripe.
Looks as though this has been a prob in the past as the bcm hadn't been fitted properly.
Not the easiest places to get too!!!

Also the brake light has repaired itself!!
Yes the switch is located on the servo unit .
So I'll have to wait until it fails again .
Many thx again for your help
Much appreciated .

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Good, and thanks for getting back with detail of what the issue was, if you have been "working" on the BCM module, maybe that has also sorted out the brake light.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members