Drivers door locking issue

TeMpTeD

Hi,

I did do a search, but couldn't find a definitive answer...which I really need as I am going to attempt to fix this myself. I have a 54 Leon Cupra TDI.

Sometimes when I lock the car using the key fob, the drivers side door does not lock. It is equally intermittent when I unlock the car using the fob too. I can distinctly hear the locking mechanism struggling both when locking and unlocking though which leads me to believe it will fail soon.

As far as I am aware, all of the other doors are locking and unlocking as usual. I have heard others mention the 'central convenience unit', but haven't yet found any other info on where it is and how change it etc.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

godber225r

T15 PJG
Sep 6, 2008
Whiteley, Hampshire
Its probably the lock mechanism in the door failing. Its a long job to get to as you got to take the door card and carrier off. there are guides on the internet on how to do it. Think they are about 90 odd quid from dealers or go to a scrap yard and get one a little cheaper.

If the convienience unit was broken then none of it would work not just the drivers door.

TeMpTeD

Thanks mate, that goes along with what the garage said yesterday. I'd be looking at about £150 for him to do it which is a lot of money for what it is, so I'm gonna try and do it myself.

TeMpTeD

Yeah, I stumbled across this a couple of hours ago. I got the impression from how the motor in the door sounded though that something was struggling and was going fail.

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
sounds like door control module, it is the only thing that can really affect the lock just on the one side. unless cables have come off which is unlikely

TeMpTeD

Drivers door lock mechanism

Hi,

This thread describes the problem I am having with my door not locking etc.

So I bought a new driver side door lock mechanism from Motors in Motion in Worksop. The mechanism they sent to me looked the same as what I had in mine pretty much, but unfortunately it didn't work and they then proceeded to rip me off.

Anyway, I bought another yesterday from another scrap yard and this second one has attached to it the door lock button pop up thing as well as a couple of other minor differences. This leads me to believe that this is from an older car - since mine does not have the pop up lock/unlock thing. Does anyone know if this will still work and is essentially the same? I can remove the pop up thing which isn't an issue, but I don't want to wait 3 weeks for the weather to buck its ideas up only to find it's not going to work.

Anyone know the difference between the new and old? I looked on the forums and it looks very much like it could have come from an 04 Passat, despite having 'Leon' written on it.

andyc

Jul 16, 2004
Lancing, West Sussex
I had the same problem with my offside rear door not locking. There is a thread somewhere back in December about it.
Anyway I had my mate fit a second hand one that i got off ebay and it still would not lock.
In the end i took it to my local stealers and they diagnosed it as the door control module.
So they shipped one in and changed it again and guess what it still would not lock so they refitted the old one and ordered the main contol motor.
So day three three they fitted the new main controller and it then locked them out of the car.
In the end the car had to have a new main controller and a a new door control module which came to a grand total of £460.
Just what you need the week before xmas.:(

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise