Drivers door refused to shut closed today

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
Had a problem today which I am hoping was just a frozen lock. I washed the car yesterday but had driven it before night fall. It was a cold morning around -3 deg C when I came out to go to work. I blipped the remote and the door un-locked, I opened it to get my scraper but when I tried to close the door it just bounced back on the rubbers. I did not want to start slamming it as this was 5.30 am but try as i did it just would not catch.

I started the car and came in to look for a torch (which I could not find) then went back out to have another go. After a few heavy pushed it caught on the latch and has been fine all day.

So I am thinking that maybe the catch was somehow frozen open although it has worked fine at much lower temps. Its booked in for a service next week if it goes again they can look at it, but that wont help me drive the car. :whistle:

Ive never had this happen in a car before though, any one else had this. :confused:

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
Ive got normal grease. I also have some silicone grease somewhere in the garage which might be better. I will have a look when i get home from work. Thankfully it was fine today just hope after some lube it stays that way. :D

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
make sure it wasn't the actual handle that remained pulled out...happened to me when i got out to look

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
Glad i am not the only one :D. Went round all catches on all locks with grease today.

Drivers door been fine but the handle is not as smooth as the passenger side :confused: it feels kinda gritty when the catch releases, if that makes any sense :whistle:

I will report back if it fails again.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members