Drivers door won’t unlock

MK R BOY

Mar 5, 2008
hi all,

So my drivers door won’t unlock from the fob, all the others do. The door will unlock manually though with the key.

All doors, including the drivers, lock on the fob and when starting to drive.

So I’m assuming there is something in the drivers door that is broken and I would like to fix it myself if possible.

I’ve had the trim off before, I’ve done the resealing job and on the pass side I’ve done the window carrier job.

So I’m looking for some explanation as to what is actually broken, and hence what needs doing and maybe a guide specifically to the lock.

It’s a 04 Cupar r

Kind rgds.

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Lots of info regarding this, either replace the drivers door module or strip it an re-solder some of the joints. Either way it will require you to strip door internals to get at the door lock module.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
That'll be the driver's lock. I replaced mine a couple of months ago. The door would only lock and unlock using the key in the door, and I found that the interior light didn't come on when you opened the door, nor did the chime go off when I had the door open with the lights on.

The part's cheap on eBay and it's a one, maybe two, bottle of beer job. The fiddliest part is getting the cable from the lock seated in the exterior handle - needle nose pliars will help here. I found that if you don't tighten the lock mechanism until you've done this, it makes it a lot easier to find the cable and get it seated. The scariest part is taking the driver's window out, but it's a good chance to give the whole thing a good clean as well.

MK R BOY

Mar 5, 2008
Sorry for the delay,

Hi Bruce, thankyou but all the links to this job have had the photos removed so they are hard to follow? Ideas?

Hi mooks, thankyou, is that an offer? You can have a crate my friend! Also can the window just be taped out of the way or does it actually need to come out?

Regards
Mk

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
Apart from removing the door card, the job is exactly the same as a MK4 Golf. There's plenty of online guides kicking around plus videos on YouTube.

Not 100% sure about the window but I think it has to come out. Haven't had to do mine yet.

It's also worth getting some butyl tape to reseal the door - I've redone the door seals plenty of times over the years.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Hi mooks, thankyou, is that an offer? You can have a crate my friend! Also can the window just be taped out of the way or does it actually need to come out?

Ha...! There are a few jobs I've done on the car that I've been surprised by how straightforward they are. I mean, I'm freelance, so it's easier for me to call round, get parts numbers, find out how to do this, and I suppose not having to fit everything into the weekend means it isn't just easier to send it to a garage. The only reason I do it myself now is that my most local garage did such a bad job of one of the other doors.

I don't have off street parking, so it was a little stressful making sure I had all the right tools, but if memory serves it's just your standard tool kit (like screwdrivers, pliers etc.) along with Torx (I think it's either T20 and/or T30 to get the screws out of the bottom of the door) and an 8mm spline/triple square tool.

Some people use duct tape to hold the window up, but it's a good opportunity to clean the bits you don't normally see. There are these circular openings in the door that you pop open, and then you wind the window down enough to see the 10mm bolts that you use a socket to undo - but not completely. Then the window just slides out. I put mine on the back seat, but it is a little scary holding such a big piece of glass, so I can understand why some people use duct tape.

It does give you the confidence to do other things though. I've since done a few things like fuel filter change, cambelt (with some help) and when things do go wrong, my first question is "can I do this myself?", so it's opened a few doors...

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members