Drivers Door Won't Shut

jeff20v

Drivers door just bounces off the catch when i try to shut it. I've looked at the lock mech and seems ok in comparision to the pasenger side but for some reason will not 'grab hold of' the catch located on the dorr pilar.

I've taken the door card off and now need to remove the inner skin where the window motor is located but looks a bit complex. I take it a undu all the bolts around the edge and then cut around the seal to remove this??

Does anyone know if i need a new lock or can it be fixed?

Cheers

jwfcms

Sep 14, 2008
UK Yorkshire
you dont need to cut the seal, just remove the bolts, the seal isnt bonded on to the door. more like a rubberised seal sort of just stays with the metal skin. im not sure if it could be fixed you may find one from a scrappy or ebay which is the same.. very complicated to try and open and fix i think

jeff20v

no luck i'm afraid, looks like it's gonna be a dealer job......

mat564

jeff this is a complecated job to change ive done it on golfs and leons how confident are you with the old spanners i can tell you the order in how to do it regards mat:rolleyes:

jeff20v

I'm pretty handy, replaced the electric window motor on the pasenger side but just ended up woth a bent lock head (the bit that sticks up out of the door) and so have had to remove the plastic grommit from around it.

If you know how it's done share the wealth Mat, i could do with saving a few quid!!! Will i need a new mechanism for this?

mat564

il have a go the list of the way to do it properly if i can remember
remove door card
remove to big gromets on the armour plating
plug electric window switch back in and wind window down until you can see the 10mm bolts that hold the glass undo the bolts
with a hand either side of the glass grab and lift window up as if the window was closing the tape over the top of the door to hold glass up in closed position
take off the gromet on back edge of the door this is on the door shut directly behind exterior doorhandle open the door and lokk at where the catch is the gromet is above this
whilst holding the exterior door handle fully out unscrew the t20 torks screw that you see through the gromet but not fully take your time until you can pull the back half of the door handle out then clip out the little cable and remove the other part of the handle unscrew the next t2o torks holding the other part of the door handle then undo the 3 screws holding the catch
undo all of the 10mm holding armour door plate and remove complete with catch and inner part of exterior door handle change catch and reverse the order any probs pm me for my number and il talk you through it :)

jeff20v

Cheers, so do i not need to take the inner pannel off the door?

mat564

yeah number 7 you take it off complete with catch and the inner part of the outside door handle

jeff20v

Thanks Mat, i'll have a go tomorrow night, losing the will the live tonight!!! Will let you know how i get on

mat564

if you get stuck pm me and il give you my phone number and will talk you through it its not a hard job but it does go beyond some peoples relm of confidence

mat564

cheers again, any idea on part number or cost?

i can find out from seat i get trade so will let you know tommorow night and also have a breaker down the road so will call them to they may have one

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members