Driver's window winding mechanism broken

Jamie Boy

I tried to wind down my driver's door window the other day when it was frozen and I heard a snap. Now it doesn't wind down. When I removed the door panel today I saw that the steel cable for the mechanism has snapped (rusted!). Does anyone have any experience of changing this mechanism? Is it a readily available part. It looks quite tricky to fit and the Haynes manual doesn't give a lot of detailed info. Any help would be much appreciated. :)

ather`s

EXEO Sport & mk2 IBIZA
Sep 7, 2008
mansfield, notts
cheaper to go to breaker`s if you want to go cheaper and the mk3`s mechanism fit the mk2 aswell. paid £40 for mine and got the chance to try it first as it was in the car before i took it out. easy job to do aswell!

valentin

eurocar parts do a new electric one for 70quid, not sure how much a manual one would be

Jamie Boy

Cheers guys. Seen plenty of new mk3 ones on ebay for about £40 so I'll go for that. I didn't realise before that it was the full mechanism including guides that got replaced. Guess it will be easy enough (if not a bit annoying) to fit. Thanks for the replies, especially the mk3 fitting info.

M1KEH

M1KE
Oct 27, 2007
The Middle
I don't know, even the really basic mk3's had electrics i think. My sisters 1.4s which is the lowest spec has electrics on it.

ather`s

EXEO Sport & mk2 IBIZA
Sep 7, 2008
mansfield, notts
sorry, i think afew people thought you were meaning electric windows! not sure about mk3 mechanisms on manual winders. there`s got to be afew on ebay,i know there is afew mk2`s breaking on there!

ather`s

EXEO Sport & mk2 IBIZA
Sep 7, 2008
mansfield, notts
Cheers guys. Seen plenty of new mk3 ones on ebay for about £40 so I'll go for that. I didn't realise before that it was the full mechanism including guides that got replaced. Guess it will be easy enough (if not a bit annoying) to fit. Thanks for the replies, especially the mk3 fitting info.

its the same door so i carnt see why this wont fit! dont think you will find much cheaper. but they are easy enough to do, take your time and mind how you take the door card off. the plastic poppers can be a night mare!

Jamie Boy

Thanks for all the replies. I will go for one on ebay for £40 and it hopefully should fit. No big deal if it doesn't, and it's worth it to be able to wind the window down again. I know what you mean about the door panel - I've had it off a couple of times before and it's a bit damaged already. I'll have to be extra careful this time. Always something to fix on the Ibiza! Maybe I'll get it all done before something else goes? Doubt it! I love driving it though.

codymarleylive

same thing happened to my mk2 and i went straight on ebay for one and found one for £15 quid brand new and it fitted a treat bud it just looking around .. my window was held up by a bit of wood for a few weeks and a rubber wedge just in case it was going to fall and break lol but nothing happen thankgod but make sure u look around !!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise