Dropped a screw. oops!

brendanb1801

Leon... Gone
Aug 20, 2007
I have been putting in my airbox which I have smoothed and I dropped a screw!

It went down the back of the airbox.

photo.jpg

Top right where u can see a hole with no screw in! I cant find it, is it something to be worried about? what is beneath the airbox? something that could get jammed by the screw?

Thanks

brendanb1801

Leon... Gone
Aug 20, 2007
oh and while im talking about the airbox. I smoothed and drilled it but have just put the standard filter back in until i get a new one. There isnt much more growl from the engine but the dv sound is louder. is this all i should expect until i change the filter?

Aug 24, 2007
whip the air box back off again mate, odds are the screw will be easy to find. Without the top of the box clamped shut you won't get the benefit of the smoothing and risk unfiltered sh!t getting into the car :headhurt:

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
If you take the lid off there is then 2 x 10mm bolts that hold the base of the airbox in place, below that is the plastic trunking wich covers the wireing loom that goes into the pollen filler, the screw is probabley sitting against that.

With regard to the noise, once you change the filter that will add some more noise and so will a 3" feed pipe if you have'nt already done that, then if you want even more noise remove the sound proofing from under the bonnet.

brendanb1801

Leon... Gone
Aug 20, 2007
If you take the lid off there is then 2 x 10mm bolts that hold the base of the airbox in place, below that is the plastic trunking wich covers the wireing loom that goes into the pollen filler, the screw is probabley sitting against that.

With regard to the noise, once you change the filter that will add some more noise and so will a 3" feed pipe if you have'nt already done that, then if you want even more noise remove the sound proofing from under the bonnet.

cool i will whip it back out tomorrow and find the little bugger!

I had a look at doing that 3" feed pipe. I am only just starting to learn my way round the engine bay so forgive me if this sounds stupid! The 3" feed pipe goes into the oval slot that is there currently? The plastic tube that is currently going in there, what happens with that?

brendanb1801

Leon... Gone
Aug 20, 2007
I did earlier but just read the guide. Have now read further on and can see that someone says the 3" ducting replaces the oem feed. May get onto that. Thanks for help peeps!

brendanb1801

Leon... Gone
Aug 20, 2007
got the screw out. it was sitting just under the airbox on a plastic tube. anywho, heres a pic of my completed work. not bad considering all i had was some pincer things, sandpaper and a drill.

photo-1.jpg

brendanb1801

Leon... Gone
Aug 20, 2007
yeh i little bit. i had still screwed it otherside so wasn't open as such, but I am sure by having both screws in it has improved the noise a tad.

most noticeable noise difference is the dv so am getting a panel filter now to give it that extra growl. any recommendations?

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
That stuff will do.
If you have a Cupra then you can get it down to the fog light, If you have a Cupra R you cant because of the side mount intercoolers.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members