DSG Box from D6 -D7 Speed ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 98136
  • Start date

Deleted member 98136

In the past I've had a Leon with a DSG box and whilst driving "normally" the box used to change up from D6 to D7 in the speed range of approx 38/40 mph, now with the Ateca it does'nt change up until I am at approx 46/48 mph.
Bearing in mind the Leon was lighter and only had a 1.2 engine, my Ateca has a 1.4 engine

I was wondering whether this is normal ?

If you've noticed what sort of speed does yours change up into D7.

Can a dealer change this eg reprogramme the system ?

Thank you

Tell

Staff member
Answer the last question they would be braking the warranty. There is a whole lot around the DSG gear box reliability. I think you will have one of the DQ200s which is the dry gearbox.... if looked after etc it's fine but Honest John doesn't like them and doesnt like them fitted to the 1.4 / 1.5 - happy with them on the 1 litre 3 cylinder petrol ones. The issue is suppose to be resolved by the use of mineral all, VAG group started to use synthetic which is where the problem came from so reverted back to mineral oil.... but Honest John still says they have an issue. The DQ380 on the 2 litre diesels is fine, wet one. Dont think anyone reprogrammes the gear boxes.

7th gear is generally thought to be an overdrive gear least in the big engine Atecas. You'd get it coming in at over 65 on the flat, least in the 190 DSG in normal drive. If you want it to change earlier select sport. Petrol most probably all different ;).

Suspect if there is any difference then to get fuel economy they have it changing latter to what you are use to in your previous car. I know when I had my Ateca in 2016 it was a milestone when it changed into 7th :). I had only been drying it on country roads. As said to get it changing earlier use the rotary knob to get it into sport mode. Fuel economy will go down.

Last edited:

hamst

Jun 5, 2020
How
Answer the last question they would be braking the warranty. There is a whole lot around the DSG gear box reliability. I think you will have one of the DQ200s which is the dry gearbox.... if looked after etc it's fine but Honest John doesn't like them and doesnt like them fitted to the 1.4 / 1.5 - happy with them on the 1 litre 3 cylinder petrol ones. The issue is suppose to be resolved by the use of mineral all, VAG group started to use synthetic which is where the problem came from so reverted back to mineral oil.... but Honest John still says they have an issue. The DQ380 on the 2 litre diesels is fine, wet one. Dont think anyone reprogrammes the gear boxes.

7th gear is generally thought to be an overdrive gear least in the big engine Atecas. You'd get it coming in at over 65 on the flat, least in the 190 DSG in normal drive. If you want it to change earlier select sport. Petrol most probably all different ;).

Suspect if there is any difference then to get fuel economy they have it changing latter to what you are use to in your previous car. I know when I had my Ateca in 2016 it was a milestone when it changed into 7th :). I had only been drying it on country roads. As said to get it changing earlier use the rotary knob to get it into sport mode. Fuel economy will go down.
Hey Tell,

How would I know which gearbox I have. My car is 2019 1.6 Diesel.

Tell

Staff member
How

Hey Tell,

How would I know which gearbox I have. My car is 2019 1.6 Diesel.

The build codes when you put the VIN into Erwin, the dealer can give you a list of build codes. Use to be a Russian site that would give them free. Might be able to find it.

Obdeleven or VCDS also tell you under transmission. It's only the DSG DQ200 that are perceived in some quarters to be an issue. Attached first is my 190 tdi, second 1.0 litre petrol Arona with the perceived problem gear box but not in a 1 litre petrol according Honest John :). Shown under system description.

All 1.4 and 1.5 petrol petrol DSQ Ateca's have the perceived problem... but probably isn't an issue. They changed back to mineral oil was the synthetic oil they switched too which was said to be an issue. VAG changed back and that was 2013 long before they built any Ateca's:).

Well I think yours is the TDI if 1.6 using this table if it's accurate on fluid sales would make it a DQ200. List all combinations. Build codes or coding would confirm.

In What Car Audi group say no identified issues with the gear box these days:

》》
“By now, all affected vehicles should have been rectified unless we have been unable to trace specific vehicles/owners.” We also checked the data for Volkswagen Group cars fitted with this gearbox in our reliability survey and did not find that a significant number of faults had been reported.
《《

So it's all history apart from some quarters in the motoring press saying it's not. E.g. Honest John. It probably falls into the category that doctors call "The worried well".

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200731-220202.png
    Screenshot_20200731-220202.png
    342.5 KB · Views: 137
  • Screenshot_20200731-220230.png
    Screenshot_20200731-220230.png
    322.5 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Reactions: hamst

Tell

Staff member
7th is overdrive on eco it ends up free wheeling down hill. I don't use it. Weird sensation when driving and on TDI with SCR wrecks passive regeneration so keep out of Eco driving mode. Best to get those passive regeneration cycles in correctly... My logic than rely on active regeneration to mop up where it hasn't taken place :).

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.