DSG - Flappy Paddles

ClosetBarry

White '14 Cupra 280 DSG
Oct 17, 2006
South Coast
Greetings All, my first post!

I am just looking at getting a new leon, it will be my first 'fun' car since the kids were born so I am trying to make the most of it.

Here is the spec I am looking at:

Stylance 2.0 Tdi PD DSG in Luna Grey

Sports Pack
Convenience Pack
Bluetooth Pack

Body Kit (PN: 1P1071670)
Stainless Twin Pipe Exahust (PN: 1P1072002)

Anyway, my question is about the DSG box. I took a test drive in exact car that mine is based on but it did not have the paddle shift, much to my suprise, but instead you had to push the auto gear lever sideways into the selection gate and then use that to change gear which kind of ruined the experiance.

So, was this infact the 'tiptronic' box not the DSG or is there an option for paddles or what ?

Thanks in advance

-ClosetBarry

ben182

I went to have a nose round an FR TFSI on sunday (test drive arranged for next week), and the salesman said that they'd had news from Seat the previous day that DSG will be available on the FR from November. He did say that it would be unlikely to have the paddles though.

It looks like the cost of DSG on other Leons is £900 (but without paddles). When the golf gti DSG was first launched, the paddles were a £500 option, and now the DSG on the golf with paddles costs £1400. so that makes sense cost wise.

to be honest I don't know whether the paddles are worth £500 extra, so I'm not not hugely upset that the Leons don't have them.

the debate I'm having with myself is whether to get a TFSI with DSG or a manual cupra... decisions, decisions

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
The FR will have paddles according to the news i've seen from SEAT, as has been said, it should be an order option from November, on both the Leon FR 2.0TFSI and Altea FR 2.0TFSI, it won't be offered on the 170PD's

DSG option on the Golf was cocked up initially, there were many Golf owners who bought their cars with DSG expecting to get paddles, they didn't it was an extra £500 option for the steering wheel. It lead to a climb down by VW for the early adopters, but they have now upped the cost of the option to include the steering wheel and paddles as part of the package.

ClosetBarry

White '14 Cupra 280 DSG
Oct 17, 2006
South Coast
Thanks for the info. I only realy wanted the paddles so I would actualy use the semi-auto, the full auto is so bloody good that I will probably get lazy very quickly.

On another note, I am going for the 'Aero Kit' and I am having prblems deciding what colour to go for. I wanted Yellow (geek I know) to show off the black air vents etc, but the wife refuses to get in a yellow car :(

So what would you say, I did like Zenith grey but you loose the vents in that colour and Red is out as....well just is. So currently I am focused on Luna Grey (Silver ??) any one got comments on what colours look good in the flesh ?

Thanks

-CB

wurzel

Jun 2, 2003
East Anglia
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I only realy wanted the paddles so I would actualy use the semi-auto, the full auto is so bloody good that I will probably get lazy very quickly.

On another note, I am going for the 'Aero Kit' and I am having prblems deciding what colour to go for. I wanted Yellow (geek I know) to show off the black air vents etc, but the wife refuses to get in a yellow car :(

So what would you say, I did like Zenith grey but you loose the vents in that colour and Red is out as....well just is. So currently I am focused on Luna Grey (Silver ??) any one got comments on what colours look good in the flesh ?

Thanks

-CB

The FR looks awesome in yellow... you know its the way forward

ben182

i like the red and the black personally. haven't seen a silver one in the flash yet..

so if the FR is going to have the paddles, I guess it's a safe bet the DSG will cost more than £900 then?

Carnivor

Jul 7, 2006
In my LeonFR 2.0 TDI
I have a Luna Grey FR, looks sweet, check the tag, personally i think black is the colour to avoid, i saw a back FR the other day and it looses so much detail in the bodywork, i seen yellow aswell, i liked it, seen the red, hmm not keen on the red.

wurzel

Jun 2, 2003
East Anglia
Visit site
I have a Luna Grey FR, looks sweet, check the tag, personally i think black is the colour to avoid, i saw a back FR the other day and it looses so much detail in the bodywork, i seen yellow aswell, i liked it, seen the red, hmm not keen on the red.

Have to agree with you mate, the honeycombe detailing just disappears into the bodywork on the black FR, it may as well be a "standard" model. The red looks ok as the rear lights blend in with it but I'm not a fan of red cars.

Silver is good as the black detailing shows up well, and it blends into the "crowd" well. I saw a Zenith Grey one the other day and didn't really like it. Its a shame they no longer do platinum grey.

papdog

Leon FR TFSI is available from build week 45 with DSG, and paddles will be standard. No prices as yet but will let you know when I do. Also some spec changes on other Leon's, Altea and Toledo's as well, mostly for the better.

Best special is a Toledo 2.0 TDI Sport, finished in black magic only, with 18" BBS alloys, Xenon's, Black Leather, twin exhausts and some other goodies as well. If it looks like the accessory car that Seat UK were running for a while it will look great (for a Toledo!)

Graham

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
I wanted Yellow (geek I know) to show off the black air vents etc, but the wife refuses to get in a yellow car :(

So what would you say ?

i'd be most likely to quote "fine love learn to walk or read a bus table- TARA ":lol:

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
flippy things are fun for a week or 2 but i dont remember the last time i used them

sport mode is so good you dont need em

shame about the fr tdi`s not having dsg , surpose vw wont let seat have it as a combination

fivetones

Jul 26, 2005
Cheshire

Nothing beats black for the stealthiness though. We got a black FR TDI and whilst you lose the styling of the grilles you do gain with the lovely deep metallic.

If I had to choose again I'd still chose black.

The last thing I'd choose is yellow. And red is a little adolescent for me.

cuprarstu

Jan 8, 2006
Hertfordshire
The FR will have paddles according to the news i've seen from SEAT, as has been said, it should be an order option from November, on both the Leon FR 2.0TFSI and Altea FR 2.0TFSI, it won't be offered on the 170PD's

DSG option on the Golf was cocked up initially, there were many Golf owners who bought their cars with DSG expecting to get paddles, they didn't it was an extra £500 option for the steering wheel. It lead to a climb down by VW for the early adopters, but they have now upped the cost of the option to include the steering wheel and paddles as part of the package.

So does anyone know why the 170PD's won't be offered with DSG, and is this just initially or a more longer term stance?

And what are people's thoughts about the likelihood of the Cupra being available with DSG?

ClosetBarry

White '14 Cupra 280 DSG
Oct 17, 2006
South Coast
I second that! My girlfriend's first comment was "tell me you didn't order yellow" replied with "walking is always an option" they soon back down!! :lol:

Aye, GF's are ok for that but wives go see a man in a suit and you end up owning just that yellow car.....if you are lucky!

-CB

Zooneycat

Foxy Chick
Oct 18, 2006
Northampton
Nothing beats black for the stealthiness though. We got a black FR TDI and whilst you lose the styling of the grilles you do gain with the lovely deep metallic.

If I had to choose again I'd still chose black.

The last thing I'd choose is yellow. And red is a little adolescent for me.

I have just ordered mine in black, c/w bodykit. Should look good. I currently have Leon Cupra (180) in Luna Grey which is lovely, however, as hubby has just bought a Porsche 911 with GT3 Aerokit on it, i thought i'd have a different colour to him.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
So does anyone know why the 170PD's won't be offered with DSG, and is this just initially or a more longer term stance?

And what are people's thoughts about the likelihood of the Cupra being available with DSG?

Not sure why they are not offering it with DSG on the diesels, don't know if there is a questionmark over the maximum torque they are able to take, but it does seem odd. Not sure if Audi are offering the DSG on their A3 170PD's ??

Im hoping that DSG is an option on the Cupra, but likelyhood seems slim at the moment. Its got me in a bit of a dilemma at the moment, whether to settle for an FR with DSG, or forget it and go for what i know i really want, a manual Cupra. Still hanging my decision on some new announcements, due in November.

Though having drive an FR New Leon, i was impressed by the smoothness and ease of the manual box and clutch, much easier than the Leon R, my left calf muscle is like Popeye's :D

DSG would be so nice for the daily slog to work, sat in traffic. :(

Last edited:

cuprarstu

Jan 8, 2006
Hertfordshire
Not sure why they are not offering it with DSG on the diesels, don't know if there is a questionmark over the maximum torque they are able to take, but it does seem odd. Not sure if Audi are offering the DSG on their A3 170PD's ??

Im hoping that DSG is an option on the Cupra, but likelyhood seems slim at the moment. Its got me in a bit of a dilemma at the moment, whether to settle for an FR with DSG, or forget it and go for what i know i really want, a manual Cupra. Still hanging my decision on some new announcements, due in November.

Though having drive an FR New Leon, i was impressed by the smoothness and ease of the manual box and clutch, much easier than the Leon R, my left calf muscle is like Popeye's :D

DSG would be so nice for the daily slog to work, sat in traffic. :(

Yes, I am facing a very similar predicament as you. I really wanted DSG, preferably on the Cupra. If the Cupra was not going to have it I was probably going to go for the FR170 PD with DSG. But if I can't get that then that only leaves the FR200 petrol with DSG, which I do not really want, in which case I would then probably go back to the Cupra.........I agree with your comments also about the tiring gear changing on the LCR!

Has Syphon decided on his new car yet?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise