DSG gearbox

fivetones

Jul 26, 2005
Cheshire
I drove a car with a DSG gearbox yesterday (for a short time...it happened to be an Audi a3 2.0 140TDI but this applies to the new Leon too).

I must admit that I found it difficult to get used to and it put me off the car.

My question is: is it worth getting used to? I've since read some rave reviews of the technology (and read up on how the whole thing is implemented) and I think I should probably give the DSG option another go. As it stand I'd still prefer to go with the normal 6 speed.

Any opinions gratefully received...

Cheers

loadswine

loadswine
It depends on how you are going to drive it. If you are going to use it in manual mode the whole time, then you may as well just get the manual, but if you are going to use it mainly as an auto, then its definitely worth getting. You can still get used to driving it in manual mode as you go. Its good fun and like having more than one car.
When I test drove a DSG for the first time, I decided that I had to have one. Its a brilliantly clever piece of kit.
Give it another go, try a Leon maybe. It is a different experience for sure , but, imho well worhtwhile.

paxman21

If your worried about the delay pulling away after slowing down for a roundabout, I'm still not completely used to mine yet.

You can either put it into the sport mode which should get into the lower gears more sharpish or push it into the tiptronic mode and control the gear yourself.

Once you get the hang of it, it's a first class system.

MarkE

Acceptable in the 80s
Jul 20, 2003
Lancaster
www.markeaston.org
It's your car, not ours. :)

Drive a DSG car again - if it's still not for you then that's your answer. DSG offers unparalleled smoothness but it's not a Ferrari F1 paddleshift so you've got to decide whether it's for you or not.

fivetones

Jul 26, 2005
Cheshire
Thanks for the input guys.

I should really give it another go. It seemed to me that as an auto it's preferable to normal auto systems but as a manual it still feels a little less direct.

If/when I try it again I'll report back.

loadswine

loadswine
I'd agree with that, and the delay you sometimes get on pull away from a dead stop does take some getting used to. I think that if you want an auto with a few more options then it will come across better than a super manual box.
The attraction for me was that I wanted a diesel auto with less of a performance/economy penalty than a conventional auto. The manual mode was a bonus.
Do give it a go again, its probably not everyones' cup of tea. The longer the test drive the better .:)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise