DSG Ibiza (115bhp) - Delay when taking off from standstill

Zoom

Apr 28, 2018
Cyprus
I got my new Ibiza a week ago and so far I love nearly everything about it! :) Maybe I will write a review after I use it for a while more.

The one thing that bothers me is that there is a lack (about 1 second) when taking off when the car is completely stopped (at traffic lights, junction, roundabout etc). When I press the gas pedal it takes a fraction of a second to start moving, then for another fraction of a second it just crawls slowly, and only after that I get proper power.

This is with the start-stop system turned off (which was making things even worst) and it happens even in sports mode.

I suspect that this has something to do with how DSG works, but it is annoying for me and it makes me less confident to e.g. enter the roundabout when I see an opportunity that I would otherwise confidently take.

Any way to eliminate or minimize this delay?

Mik ibi17

Jun 2, 2018
Hello, I'm from Greece btw (I assume you are from cuprus because of the flag), anyway, i have the exact same car as you so i know about the delay you are experiencing. I think that the car is "protecting" itself from damaging so it can wear in the dsg properly, so it wont give you full power from a standstill. All i can tell you is that after the car is broken in (after passing 1500 km) the car will start to get more responsive starting from a standstill (it still wont be perfect or launch like a manual car but it will be a LOT better than it was before). Now i might be wrong but i think that is the only possible explanation of why this is happening

Zoom

Apr 28, 2018
Cyprus
Thanks Mik. I hope you are right and that it will gradually become a lot better!

I wasn't expecting it to launch like a manual, but DSG (at least the one in this car) seems to be a lot worst in this respect from the standard kind of automatic cars I used.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Out of curiosity, how are you 'lanching' the car? I remember I had a Leon with the 6 speed DSG. if you full press the brake, the clutch Disengages. and it takes as you say, a second to 1 enage the clutch, and 2 creep. On the Ibiza with the 1.0TSI DSG 7 speed, i didn't seem to have this problem. At roundabouts, I hold the brake lightly, (eg..if start stop is on, it won't kick in), and when it's time to go, bam! And my head goes into the headrest :).
However, if I hold the brake firmly (if start stop on, engine will go off) when start stop is off, and want to go quickly, it takes a fraction longer, perhaps to move off.

Zoom

Apr 28, 2018
Cyprus
"Start Stop" makes things worst, so I turn it off. But even with start-stop off, and even in sports mode, it still does what you describe: "a second to 1 engage the clutch, and 2 creep" ... and then all the power comes suddenly!

Strange that yours doesn't do this, even though it is the same engine / gearbox. Maybe I just have higher expectations?

The way I (try to) "launch" the car is by releasing the brake and pressing the gas right away. I guess if I was driving in a more "relaxed" way, where I would release the brake and then slowly move my foot to the gas pedal (the car would meanwhile start moving on its own) and then step on the gas very gradually... in that case maybe I wouldn't notice the lag. But I move quickly and the car doesn't seem to be able to keep up.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I suppose your Ibiza doesn't 'take off' like it does in this video @ 4:30?
If not at all similar, wondering if it's a post WLTP quirk.
Also does your car 'stutter' a little when you launch it...at least till 2k rpms, then it's pretty smooth, and when it upshifts, you have a momentary lapse in acceleration, and when 2nd gear is engaged, you go again?

Zoom

Apr 28, 2018
Cyprus
From looking at the video I can't tell if there is any delay from the time he steps on the gas until the car starts moving. After the car starts moving he does say "a little bit of a delay before the engine picks up its power", so that might be the "2nd phase" of this lag issue. I guess I have to make a video of my dials when launching to properly compare.

Other than that acceleration is as expected and I didn't notice any shutter or lapse in acceleration so far, so either I don't have that issue, or is just not something that bothered me so I didn't notice it.

Fr2013

Apr 9, 2014
I suppose your Ibiza doesn't 'take off' like it does in this video @ 4:30?
If not at all similar, wondering if it's a post WLTP quirk.
Also does your car 'stutter' a little when you launch it...at least till 2k rpms, then it's pretty smooth, and when it upshifts, you have a momentary lapse in acceleration, and when 2nd gear is engaged, you go again?

I think we've discussed this previously KXL. I encounter all of the exact 'quirks' that you describe above. I think I'm just about getting used to it, now that it's coming up time to change :)

P.S, for anyone that doesn't already know, I have an MK5 1.0TSI DSG, same as KXL.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I think we've discussed this previously KXL. I encounter all of the exact 'quirks' that you describe above. I think I'm just about getting used to it, now that it's coming up time to change :)

P.S, for anyone that doesn't already know, I have an MK5 1.0TSI DSG, same as KXL.

oh it's time to change already? Me too, in Dec though...what are you looking to change to? Gonna change to something non-Seat (had Seat's for 4 years and it's been fun). Have a Volvo V40 1.5T on order. 152PS whooppiee! Don't think I'll ever see the magical mpg numbers I did with my 1.0 TSI though.

Fr2013

Apr 9, 2014
oh it's time to change already? Me too, in Dec though...what are you looking to change to? Gonna change to something non-Seat (had Seat's for 4 years and it's been fun). Have a Volvo V40 1.5T on order. 152PS whooppiee! Don't think I'll ever see the magical mpg numbers I did with my 1.0 TSI though.
Wow nice, what's made you go for a V40?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Wow nice, what's made you go for a V40?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

It was down to between another Ibiza (but at the time, LED lights were £480 option on FR, now not anymore), another Leon (but prices have skyrocketed, plus wait time too for 1.4 EcoTSI), a Merc GLA 180 Urban Edition (for my height it was very uncomfortable driving position, and couldn't adjust the headrest), Mazda 3 (seriously 2.0 develops 120ps?). The lease company must have had a special deal for V40s, as despite being the more powerful 152PS variant, it was quite cheap... Ulimately it was a toss up between the Mazda 3 and Volvo V40. Mazda 3 had every bell and whistle on top of range Sport Nav trim, even heads up display, and was cheaper per month, but the lack of grunt in the engine really put me off. I think both the Mazda and V40 were at the end of it's lifecycle hence the cheap deals. So V40 was the winner, and it doensn't look half bad either! Just that the quoted mpg is 50, means probably 37-43mpg in real world. Ibiza's was 64, and in real world I got anywhere from 43-52mpg a tank.

If I were to chose a car based on engine, would still have preferred VW's 1.4/1.5 ACT TSi.

Are you getting another Seat @ FR2013?

Oh and only the Volvo V40 and new Ibiza has an 'old school' handbrake. All the other candidates had the e-brake.

Last edited:

José Silva

Nov 24, 2018
Portugal
I got my new Ibiza a week ago and so far I love nearly everything about it! :) Maybe I will write a review after I use it for a while more.

The one thing that bothers me is that there is a lack (about 1 second) when taking off when the car is completely stopped (at traffic lights, junction, roundabout etc). When I press the gas pedal it takes a fraction of a second to start moving, then for another fraction of a second it just crawls slowly, and only after that I get proper power.

This is with the start-stop system turned off (which was making things even worst) and it happens even in sports mode.

I suspect that this has something to do with how DSG works, but it is annoying for me and it makes me less confident to e.g. enter the roundabout when I see an opportunity that I would otherwise confidently take.

Any way to eliminate or minimize this delay?

I have a fr 115cv dsg, and its the same i did try the 95cv and the same too.I will try to change the air filter to a k&n to see if it improve, I have a honda accord and after I change the filter it is faster to move.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.