DTUK Tuning Box Problems Leon 184 BEWARE

JamieLittwin

0-60 In Sparrows Cough
Mar 2, 2015
Did you know that DTUK developed and tested their maps with Shark Performance

As much as I love the idea of a box I don't think you can beat going to a proper mapping place and getting your car on the rolling road. At least this way they can tell you if anything is wrong or anything you'd benefit from

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
As much as I love the idea of a box I don't think you can beat going to a proper mapping place and getting your car on the rolling road. At least this way they can tell you if anything is wrong or anything you'd benefit from

I'm sure you can get your car on a rolling road at DTUK if you're willing to make the journey, just like any mapping place

JamieLittwin

0-60 In Sparrows Cough
Mar 2, 2015
Twincharger, so both super and turbo... had it in my vrs, bloody good engine when it came to power delivery just a shame it wasn't more reliable.

Yeah it was quick off the mark when raced with my 184 tdi but the fr was better once the speed got silly, both of his died under 15,000 which was a massive shame. Nice cars but as you say, shame they're not more reliable

Pgcreature

Oct 7, 2013
Surrey
Just want to thank all you guys on your observations here.
Last year I was questioning possible insurance issues on the forum, expecting DTUK to properly advise.
The situation to remove the box before a service or before an up coming accident quite frankly seems ridiculous.
Great to have more bhp to the stock engine, but as many have pointed out the question of what it does long term to the life of the mechanics, and is the rest of the car able to cope with the extra power.

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
Just want to thank all you guys on your observations here.

Last year I was questioning possible insurance issues on the forum, expecting DTUK to properly advise.

The situation to remove the box before a service or before an up coming accident quite frankly seems ridiculous.

Great to have more bhp to the stock engine, but as many have pointed out the question of what it does long term to the life of the mechanics, and is the rest of the car able to cope with the extra power.

Even with a remap you have to re-flash the ecu before a service. I've had it on my car for 5500 miles and on my previous car for 16,000 miles. Never had a problem. I think it depends on the individual motor

noel2014

Jan 6, 2014
Tamworth
My honest opinion having done 30,000 miles since picked car up brand new in March 14 - the car runs perfect with no box on, albeit with "only" 184bhp. Stick the box on and yes, complete difference in performance, BUT constant re-gens even just doing motorway miles which you'd have thought would burn the soot itself, limp mode more often than not, a trip to Seat for a new pressure sensor which DTUK have advised is an issue that other 184 owners have had... And also with the box on the engine just sounds like it's got nails in it - like a constant rattling. A Lot of people (probably myself included for a few weeks) will see past the issues though due to their thirst for power and speed. But the long term implications on a car that isn't cheap, could be very costly and DTUK judging by my experience will wash their hands of any post-sale problems and completely deny the box is the problem. Most friendly company ever pre-sale to get your hard earned money - can't fault that. If anyone asked my advice I would A) wait until car warranty has expired. B) ask for something in writing from DTUK that says if the box causes limp mode/replacement pressure sensor/ nail like sounds from engine - then they'll refund you no quibbles. C) To be honest I would not bother with the box unless you've got a massive need for power and a lot of money to put things right when they go wrong.
I'm going to try and leave a negative testimonial in their website but I bet they don't publish the bad feedback.....obviously.

AlistairS

Jan 3, 2008
Stirlingshire
I have emailed DTUK & said that I am not comfortable putting this on my new car when it arrives having read about the issues on here. I will go to the Royal Mail sorting office & ask for the goods to be returned to sender.

I should get a full refund under distance selling regulations, shouldn't I?

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
I have emailed DTUK & said that I am not comfortable putting this on my new car when it arrives having read about the issues on here. I will go to the Royal Mail sorting office & ask for the goods to be returned to sender.

I should get a full refund under distance selling regulations, shouldn't I?

They give you 14 day money back guarantee anyways

AlistairS

Jan 3, 2008
Stirlingshire
Just had the following response

Please be aware that there is a restocking fee on these items if you send them back.

The thing is they haven't been delivered as I wasn't at home to sign for it. So technically I am not sending them back I am refusing delivery - return to sender?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.