DTUK tuning box

abulafia

Aug 5, 2016
Greece
So, I went for a proper tuning yesterday, so the car pretty much spent the morning in the dyno being fine tuned. This tuner had a more powerful dyno (stronger brake and fan) so I took the time to retake stock + DTUK box diagrams, and of course the final tune as well. I am posting the final diagrams below (torque & horsepower) and I am also posting the fuel air ratio (red is stock / green is DTUK, p2 / pink is tuned):

2059ths.jpg

j7yvd1.jpg

Some remarks: The spikes that we saw in the previous dyno are still there. As you can see, a small spike exists also in the stock and the final tuned version. However, it's much more pronounced in the CRD3+ box. Overall, however, the results of the box are better than previous dyno. The stock car (red) was measure at 193.4PS, the DTUK at 218.2PS and the final tuning was done at 240.0PS (we could easily get 20-30 PS more but we decided to go conservative - more horsepower is not really necessary for this car). Similarly, max torque figures were (about) 430Nm for stock, 471Nm for DTUK and 525Nm for final tuning. I have tried to smooth the curves and present more reasonable diagrams below:

t9gqgy.jpg

I think realistic figures (after smoothing process) are 190.6PS (stock) / 216.5PS (DTUK) / 236.4PS (tuned).

So, we confirmed that there are indeed some issues in the DTUK box at low revs and full throttle - as you can see in the top diagrams, in 1,800 and 2,000 RPM the revs would slightly drop (engine bogging down) causing the graph to become all loopy. Overall, however, it's a better picture, with higher top end horsepower and higher overall torque (compare to stock).

Of course, the custom tuning has literally transformed the car. I can't begin to describe how impressive it is on the road. Balanced and smooth as stock, but when unleashed it becomes a beast. Here's to manual gearboxes... :happy:

Last edited:

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
So, I went for a proper tuning yesterday, so the car pretty much spent the morning in the dyno being fine tuned. This tuner had a more powerful dyno (stronger brake and fan) so I took the time to retake stock + DTUK box diagrams, and of course the final tune as well. I am posting the final diagrams below (torque & horsepower) and I am also posting the fuel air ratio (red is stock / green is DTUK, p2 / pink is tuned):

2059ths.jpg

j7yvd1.jpg

Some remarks: The spikes that we saw in the previous dyno are still there. As you can see, a small spike exists also in the stock and the final tuned version. However, it's much more pronounced in the CRD3+ box. Overall, however, the results of the box are better than previous dyno. The stock car (red) was measure at 193.4PS, the DTUK at 218.2PS and the final tuning was done at 240.0PS (we could easily get 20-30 PS more but we decided to go conservative - more horsepower is not really necessary for this car). Similarly, max torque figures were (about) 430Nm for stock, 471Nm for DTUK and 525Nm for final tuning. I have tried to smooth the curves and present more reasonable diagrams below:

t9gqgy.jpg

I think realistic figures (after smoothing process) are 190.6PS (stock) / 216.5PS (DTUK) / 236.4PS (tuned).

So, we confirmed that there are indeed some issues in the DTUK box at low revs and full throttle - as you can see in the top diagrams, in 1,800 and 2,000 RPM the revs would slightly drop (engine bogging down) causing the graph to become all loopy. Overall, however, it's a better picture, with higher top end horsepower and higher overall torque (compare to stock).

Of course, the custom tuning has literally transformed the car. I can't begin to describe how impressive it is on the road. Balanced and smooth as stock, but when unleashed it becomes a beast. Here's to manual gearboxes... :happy:

What do you mean by tuned? Do you mean you've removed the dtuk and remapped the ecu or have you tuned something else whilst the dtuk box is connected too?

abulafia

Aug 5, 2016
Greece
What do you mean by tuned? Do you mean you've removed the dtuk and remapped the ecu or have you tuned something else whilst the dtuk box is connected too?

Tuned means the car's ECU was flashed and new maps were uploaded to the car. The DTUK box has been disconnected from the car.

abulafia

Aug 5, 2016
Greece
Forgot to say that fuel was Shell V-power diesel, dyno runs were performed in 4th gear (manual box) and air temp was 21.5C.

garry H bird

Oct 27, 2015
Hi Abulafia nice of you to put on your new stuff many thanks I am also a little confused also as I am reading you say you have disconnected the DTUK box and retuned that would say to me you have had a re-map is this correct?
Cheers GHB

abulafia

Aug 5, 2016
Greece
Hi Abulafia nice of you to put on your new stuff many thanks I am also a little confused also as I am reading you say you have disconnected the DTUK box and retuned that would say to me you have had a re-map is this correct?
Cheers GHB

Thanks Garry - yes, we did a remap from scratch. I am posting the figures to help others to make an educated decision on how to proceed. Hope it helps.

garry H bird

Oct 27, 2015
Hi Abulafia looking at your graphs that the tune slays the DTUK box then glad your happy
how dear I think a few people are going to be upset may be

cheers GHb

abulafia

Aug 5, 2016
Greece
Hi Abulafia looking at your graphs that the tune slays the DTUK box then glad your happy
how dear I think a few people are going to be upset may be

cheers GHb

Well, I don't think the DTUK box is bad - it's ok. Disregarding the low-end spikes and engine bogging down at full throttle, it actually delivers increased power and torque figures (albeit not the promised figures, but still). I don't like the mapping because of the low-end problems, but overall I can see why some people like it and why others wish to buy it. At the end of the day, a custom, conservative tuning from a trusted, knowledgeable tuner will always be the best option.

garry H bird

Oct 27, 2015
Hi Abulafia we always appreciate honest good advice at the end of the day and as what you say is very correct and I am glad your happy and sorted I think there may be some upset people when it comes to the dyno readings of the cars my experience with DTUK as been good so far the box is not perfect I would admit and it is better than standard only just
have a good weekend and enjoy
Cheers GHB

abulafia

Aug 5, 2016
Greece
Hey Garry, thanks for your kind words. I guess it all boils down to whether you are happy with the feeling you get or not. Curves and diagrams say one story, your feeling behind the wheel may say something different. Many people have said that the car is hugely improved with the DTUK box, so that's the only thing that matters: the personal satisfaction you are getting (provided that reliability doesn't suffer of course). Have a great weekend too and enjoy your tuning box without sweating too much about it!

Last edited:

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
So been running my CRD3 for a few weeks now. Running 3+2 was perfect and then all of a sudden the car gets the dreaded flashing coil light as of last Thursday night. So I switched it down to 3+1 and drove it all weekend and it was fine until this morning it happened again. So I've now switched it down to 3+0. I'd like to be able to switch it back to 3+2 as that was my most desired setting.

ukoldschool

Apr 12, 2012
Have run 1.1 for about a month, nice but noticeable flat spot on part throttle around 50-60mph, car 'hiccups'.
Have switched to 2.- and giving that a go. Car feels less instantly urgent so far

Andrew@DTUK

Forum Sponsor
So been running my CRD3 for a few weeks now. Running 3+2 was perfect and then all of a sudden the car gets the dreaded flashing coil light as of last Thursday night. So I switched it down to 3+1 and drove it all weekend and it was fine until this morning it happened again. So I've now switched it down to 3+0. I'd like to be able to switch it back to 3+2 as that was my most desired setting.
Sounds like the boost sensor is on its way out,

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.