DTUK tuning box

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
yes, I am surprised too, I am starting to think there is too much torque for the Stronic ?

before that, the launch control was pretty consistant, clocking 6,7s almost each time

this is my best run if you have yours too to compare :

0-20 km/h*0.76 s
0-40 km/h*1.58 s
0-60 km/h*2.59 s
0-80 km/h*4.11 s
0-100 km/h*5.82 s
0-120 km/h*8.31 s
0-140 km/h*11.01 s

60 Feet*1.92 @ 17.0 MPH
330 Feet*5.62 @ 61.0 MPH
1/8 Mile*8.79 @ 77.4 MPH
1000 Feet*11.52 @ 89.6 MPH
1/4 Mile*13.84 @ 95.2 MPH
400 Meters*13.78 @ 153.7 km/h

If you have any private roads you can do 100mph on try 40-100 in 4th. Mine is 10.5 on 4+2.

0-60mph on a 2wd diesel with near on 500nm torque is never going to be good for comparing much ;-)

Fraczish

Aug 20, 2013
Thanks Dean, encouraged by your results, I do however wonder what the diffences would be when used in a more urban fashion as the start stop nature may exaggerate the differences more substantially, do you think?

snowfree52

well yes my times were in the wet but how do you know ? [B)]

I've got winter tires, michelin pilot alpin 4

If you have any private roads you can do 100mph on try 40-100 in 4th. Mine is 10.5 on 4+2.

0-60mph on a 2wd diesel with near on 500nm torque is never going to be good for comparing much ;-)

What about 40 to 80 ? or another but less than a 100. will be less difficult for me to try it

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 29, 2013
Essex
well yes my times were in the wet but how do you know ? [B)]

I've got winter tires, michelin pilot alpin 4

What about 40 to 80 ? or another but less than a 100. will be less difficult for me to try it

You can do 80. I have the vids on a previous page so easy to compare.

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
Thanks Dean, encouraged by your results, I do however wonder what the diffences would be when used in a more urban fashion as the start stop nature may exaggerate the differences more substantially, do you think?

Not really. How hard you push it will affect it.

snowfree52

did you do a rolling start from a maintained 40 or from less than that and just started mesuring at 40 ?

edit : nevermind I just saw your video

what we can compare right now is your time from 80kmh to 140kmh with mine

will do it now

snowfree52

that didn't go too weel :

you without tuning box : 80 to 140kmh in 7,2
you with tuning box : 6

me with tuning box : 6,9

snowfree52

I actually think yours are incredibly good !

even my last run alone was worse : 80 to 140 in 7,6 !

you should be at more than 8s without tuning box !

even the 125i 218ps is doing it in 7,7

snowfree52

not in gear pull, just taking 80 to 140 in a video showing a 0 to 200 for example.

I can't post links since I have less than 15 messages, but have a look at zeperf or even at youtube videos

there is a video of a golf GTD 184 and he does it in 9 sec

edit : don't take it badly, I am not accusing you of anything, I am just trying to understand :help:

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
Would they not have gear changes?

I can understand why yours would be slower once it's moving as it weighs over 100kg more, has extra 4wd transmission losses and is less aerodynamic but a manual golf gtd should be about the same standard if it was run in correctly

snowfree52

Yes there is a gear change between 80 and 140 3 to 4

thing is also that I used a G calculator for my times. they are the real times.

With videos, this is more difficult, because :

- you don't really know if the speedo is correct, wich clearly isn't so you have to add a bit, but how much the speedo is lying ? even 3-4 kmh is enouth to disturb everything

- video quality and frame rate., in example in your video, try to get the time between 80 and 140, if we are 4 to do it I guess we will have 4 different times.

do you have an I phone, there is a really good app I use to get bang on times, it can even calculate your horsepower if you fill the weight of your car : Dynolicious fusion.

I can't post pictures but you can do nice graphs with it also

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
Yes there is a gear change between 80 and 140 3 to 4

thing is also that I used a G calculator for my times. they are the real times.

With videos, this is more difficult, because :

- you don't really know if the speedo is correct, wich clearly isn't so you have to add a bit, but how much the speedo is liing ? even 3-4 kmh is enouth to disturb everything

- video quality and frame rate., in example in your video, try to get the time between 80 and 140, if we are 4 to do it I guess we will have 4 different times.

di you have an I phone, there is a really good app I use to get bang on times, it can even calculate your horsepower if you fill the weight of your car : Dynolicious fusion.

I see what you are saying mate. I'll see if it is on android. My main purpose was to compare performance before and after the box was fitted. Id expect the leon to be quicker (straight line) at everything other than a standing start which it really struggles with.

snowfree52

there is pocket dyno on android also ;)

yes this was the same for me. overall my results are better with the tuning box but with the Stronic and launch control I would have expected my times to be consistent, because they were before the tuning box. And now they are not anymore.

Also after 100kmh, the more powerful car should be quicker even if it weights more. for that reason, seeing that your 80-140 is around the same time without tuning box that mine with the tuning box is a bit disturbing. 184 vs around 225 is a lot even if there is 100kg more.

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
I agree. I would investigate the torque limit of the box. That could explain variation on launches too.

How much extra transmission loss is normal with 4wd? An extra 10%? The 2wd leon and octavia has been rolling roaded at 181bhp at the wheels with the box on 4+1?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.