DV Relcation - anyone got fitting instructions/guide?

Tallpaul

Jul 2, 2005
just a thought about the vac line... the OE one is very thick rigid pipe, the one supplied with the kit (if that's what you are using) isn't even remotely as rigid. Dunno what sort of boost you are running, or how you have mated the diverter vac line to the OE one - but perhaps it is collapsing under high boost?

probably not, but as was pointed out, the diverter is all that's changed.

or maybe the extra volume of air in the system is causing something???? just trying to think what is physically involved in the kit???? lots of new joins to leak too????

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Hmmm... something to look into I suppose. Might ask forge if there is a max rating on the vac tube they supply.

Its mated to the std hose via a T-piece - this is for the boost gauge. I didnt see any reason to relocate the T piece to the top of the DV in its new position, and found it to be a better fit than the supplied "butt" joint that forge supply anyway.

I'll get VAG-COM on it asap and check for errors, but boost leaks, if there is one at all (car power feels fine) would be hard to find unless you can hear it.

The way i think i see it is that this problem existed BEFORE the relocation kit was fitted. The fitting just made it worse. I would expect that if it was a leak that was the problem, then the same leak would have to be present, although not as bad, when its in std location....

If that makes any sense..

Tallpaul

Jul 2, 2005
fair enough, but you say the problem is worse. a secondary problem caused by the relocation kit might be adding to the DV issue. as you don't know what the first problem is, there is no way of knowing what affect the relocation is actually having on it.

i spend a lot of my time fault finding very high pressure instruments (200bar). If i discovered a fault, the first thing i WOULDN'T do is throw in another variable (ie the relocation kit). Basically i'd want the instrument kept in the EXACT setup it was in when the fault was first noted. Sometimes you discover that the fault has been there for a long time, but it takes a particular person using the instrument in a particular way to make the fault really stand out. Once you know what the the symptoms are you can trace back through results the instrument has generated and spot the fault occuring (getting worse perhaps).

If you really wanna find that fault maybe try going all the way back (or as far as is reasonable).

Take of the relocation, remove the forge DV, switch off REVO. Then run through every combination you can imagine and see if you can pin down the exact point it starts. Then hit it with something, something real heavy.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
lol - cheers mate.

I tried fault finding before the relocation, but the problem was so irratic it only appeared as said once in a blue moon, so wasnt TOO worried. Although it did still bug me a bit.

I was told by a couple of tuners that it was nothing to worry about, and that they all did that. I believed it. I spoke to many people on forums etc (not all tuners but hands on people), and they all said to try different springs, go stonger, go weaker, change dv, put in reverse, change n75, check n249...

I did all of that, bar the n249 check, as i didnt really know what i was doing and bypassing it sounded tricky. Seemed like a complicated process that still wasnt guaranteed to fix the problem I had, and being as irregular as it was didnt bother. (regretting it now)

A few people suggested relocating the DV as helping to SOLVE the issue. So thats what I have done. Its done totally the opposite, so now I have to try and figure out what to do.

I will wait for a reply from forge. Then if I am still stuck, off with the relocation and see how it goes.

As Bill etc have said to me before, they spend ages trying to find the solution to this problem, and nobody can put a finger down and say for definate what it is. It seems a HUGELY common problem, so i would have thought that there would be a fix by now, or at least a common fault area to check. If everyone said, its the n249, i wouldnt have a problem getting it sorted. But because people say Springs too strong, Springs too weak, Hoses split, DV faulty... etc etc I just get stumped trying to figure out which one it is thats causing the problem on my car.

Tallpaul

Jul 2, 2005
if it's a hugely common problem, and i assume only noticeably affecting mod/tuned 1.8T engines, then perhaps it is simply a 'feature' of taking the boost recirculation system to that level of work???

maybe it's not damaging anything? swap the carbonio for a BMC CDA and remove the relocation, maybe you won't hear it anymore!

out of sight (sound), out of mind?! :funk:

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Tallpaul said:
if it's a hugely common problem, and i assume only noticeably affecting mod/tuned 1.8T engines, then perhaps it is simply a 'feature' of taking the boost recirculation system to that level of work???

maybe it's not damaging anything? swap the carbonio for a BMC CDA and remove the relocation, maybe you won't hear it anymore!

out of sight (sound), out of mind?! :funk:

Agree with statement 1 - it does seem to be the extra boost that causes the issues. Although some people suffer with it on standard.

I have thought about swapping my carbonio for the BMC... but not for this reason. I cant hide the issue as its not just sound - i get the "surging" as power is released slowly as well.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
well, when I have logged it before with my Revo dealer the logs seemed fine. Requested/actual was about right. However couldnt pinpoint the time when it surged so will have to have another logging session I think.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
ok quick question :

Will the std bosch DV work ok in my setup? I am wondering if I should put it on and see what I get... but only want to do this if it will work for a while.
That way, if I can eliminate my dv from the possibilities then i can look elsewhere.
cheers!

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Pabs said:
ok quick question :

Will the std bosch DV work ok in my setup? I am wondering if I should put it on and see what I get... but only want to do this if it will work for a while.
That way, if I can eliminate my dv from the possibilities then i can look elsewhere.
cheers!

I would have thought it might struggle to cope with the higher levels of boost from Revo Stage 2..........

Tallpaul

Jul 2, 2005
Pabs said:
ok quick question :

cheers!

try it and see! maybe don't hit full boost to start with. try runs at 50% and 75% of boost and see how you get on. Shouldn't be too hard to control the boost in a high gear, just gotta be gentle getting the speed up.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
trouble is i only really see the problem in higher boost... when accelerating quite hard into 10psi+...
might give it a go at the weekend - i know my dv is around somewhere...

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Email from forge on this subject (after a phone discussion). Richard was VERY helpful and suggests that it might be worth trying the BOSCH OEM DV BRIEFLY (it will probably brake if used for too long) to determine the problem, and if it goes to try blue spring first.
Anyway here is the email:

Hi Paul,
Despite the rumours of DV noise being linked to turbo damage we have never seen this happen before, the noise you get would be similar to removing the air filter or replacing it with a hi flow version of some kind. You are actually hearing the wastegate chatter but this happens anyway and will not cause any damage, it is just more audible with the set up you now have.
Let us know how your stock valve performs.

Best regards,
Richard Washbrook

FORGE :thumbup:

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Right people, just an update here.

Serviced the DV today. New grease, new O rings, new piston, and I decided to put the blue spring in.

So far, WOW :) Either the DV wasnt quite right, or the blue spring makes a big difference.
It seems now that the problem is much better, still made it do it ONCE but that was in a really high gear and really low revs. But overall impression seems to be good :thumbup:

Weird thing is, the boost takes slightly longer to hit max, but when it gets there it stays there a hell of a lot longer! I peak at about 22/21psi, then it now holds 19/20 whereas before it was 17ish........

Anyway, what with this result today AND my lowered suspension it can only be good :)

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
dont really know mate. On comparing the forge with the bosch dv, the forge with yellow still seemed weaker than the bosch, so i said sod-it and stuck the blue in.

I am still amazed at the boost - I seem to be holding 20psi now not 17..... not sure if this is good or not.....

Gave it a good service though. Cleaned it all inside and out. Just seems so different. Perhaps as said before the dv may not have been sealing properly.

Still does it, but instead of 6+ times on one particular journey, it now does it maybe once or twice. Feel much better about it - and after talking to my revo dealer says it isnt likely to be causing any damage anyway.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Feel, outta interest, what boost etc you seeing? Any ideas? Peak/holding? Little bit worried that I am holding a bit high now... don't want to go killing my turbo etc

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
Pabs said:
Feel, outta interest, what boost etc you seeing? Any ideas? Peak/holding? Little bit worried that I am holding a bit high now... don't want to go killing my turbo etc

Don't forget I'm an LCR on Stage 1 - about 26psi I think (1.55 bar measured via vag-com)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members