Dynamic range control - facelift led headlights

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
Being summer I've not used the headlights much since new, with only me in the car the levels seem perfect and I've not really thought about the lack of a range adjuster.

However, the other night I had a car full and noticed the headlights were a lot lower than normal. When half the people were getting out I switched off and, when restarting, I noticed the lights came up to their normal setting.

In the manual it states:

Dynamic headlight range control
The control is not mounted in vehicles with
dynamic headlight range control. The head-
light range is automatically adjusted according to the vehicle load status when they are switched on.

But they seem to over compensate and won't adjust again until the engine is switched off then on again. Can the 'loaded' level be adjusted, e.g. when the car is full can the headlight be adjusted up, then remember that setting again - or would this make the normal level too high?

Also, the dynamic description seems wrong, Hella says dynamic should adjust continuously - even when braking etc. The Seat version seems to be a static system that sets once on starting?

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Not sure if this is related, but Seat is pretty cheap when it comes to the headlights auto level. It only has one sensor at the rear of the car, so even if weight is in the front and back it over compensates the adjustment.

Higher end cars have a sensor front and rear.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Not sure if this is related, but Seat is pretty cheap when it comes to the headlights auto level. It only has one sensor at the rear of the car, so even if weight is in the front and back it over compensates the adjustment.

Higher end cars have a sensor front and rear.

From my experience, the headlights only level when you restart the ignition (key). Eg...if i load up the car with people, then start it again, it will level.
However, if say I'm picking up people, arriving with an empty car, reach the station, put it in park (DSG), start/stop kicks in, 4 people enter my car, I drive off again, the lights will not level.

WaveyDaveyGravy

But I'm so tasty
Jan 3, 2006
Shipley
This is a not uncommon issue where the lights don't adjust correctly. Only happens on mine occasionally when the weather is very cold, then only on one side. Took it to the dealers with a video I had and they just said no error code was stored so they couldn't investigate. It resets when you do the ignition, which is a bit of a cop out solution.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
So, last night I had four adults and a boot full of Labradors so the headlights were pointing about 5m in front of the bumper, not very useful.

I've aimed the manual adjuster screw up a little so the lights are perfect when empty, but can't adjust them for fullly loaded as it would dazzle other people when driving empty.

Can anyone point me to the location of the rear suspension load sensor please? I want to see if it's fitted correctly and if I could 'bend it's arm' a little.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise