Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest we just want to let you know that our Privacy Terms have changed. You can read them here: New Privacy Terms

EA189 Service Action

Discussion in 'TDi - SEAT Diesel specific topics' started by Dark Andrew, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Dark Andrew

Dark Andrew Full Member

Hi, looking around the internet you would think that all EA189 engines that have had the "service action" software update are ticking timebombs, waiting to fail, yet I find very few references to it on this site. Is this because other sites and forums are exaggerating things and blowing them out of proportion or have I just been looking in the wrong places on here?

2. cheshire cat

cheshire cat Full Member

if you're talking "clean-up" software then this may be the wrong place to look as the cognoscenti (on here)have more sense than go near it

3. Dark Andrew

Dark Andrew Full Member

VW reckon they've "fixed" 2/3 of all the affected cars, so that's a lot of cars. I also understand that they are updating the software by default when they service vehicles, so again, that's a lot of vehicles and I'd imagine that also includes quite a few people on here - so I'm just surprised that there is so little mention of it on here when other websites / forums are full of stories of broken EGR valves and injectors, all apparently caused by the update.

4. cheshire cat

cheshire cat Full Member

whilst I don't doubt the fix has caused problems (mainly injectors?) there must have been stacks of coincidence problems too the over complicated (modern) egr's don't need much help to fail judging by the one I dismantled believe it or not one reason for failure was "ingress" of broken windscreen glass