Eagle F1 Wear?

ITech

Hi Guys,

I have a an issue which i Would like some advice with. I've owned my Cupra for 6 months now and have so far not needed tyres. Recently I have been hearing vibrations noises coming from the back of the car which I assumed was a wheel bearing. I booked it into a local garage to get it checked out and the guy told me it was the rear tyres at fault. He said that there fully legal with plenty of tread but are wearing unevenly on the inside walls e.g. shaping like a 50p therefore causing the nosie when rotating. Both rears are Goodyear Eagle F1's. He told me that this is a common problem with these tyres on some vehicles but after doing a search on this forum it seems they are one of the best tyres money can buy.

Has anyone experienced this before? I asked if the tracking or something was causing this but he said not. My problem is I don't want to replace both rear tyres for the same thing to happen again in 6 months time. What else would cause this or is it has he says just the tyres?

I have Bridgestone Potenza RE050A on the front, if I do have to change the rears how important is it to have the same tyres all round? Are these Bridgestones any good?

I would greatly appreciate any help and advice.

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
I remember reading a multi page thread about this a couple of years ago.

Like andycupra say's, I think it was started by ruddmeister.

Try a good search and you sould find it.

Out of interest, are the gsd3's the china made versions or german made ones?

LCR64

I m just the cook.
Mar 24, 2006
Uneven wear

There were some threads a while back related to the F1 s manufactured in China that worn unevenly round the edges similar to a 50p.
The threads appeared around the time I had 4 of the PRC finest but after 10K I ve had no issues with them.

ITech

Thanks for the help.

The thread is identical to my issue. I'll get the shockers checked out hopefully their ok then I can maybe put it down to a bad batch of tyre e.g. Chinese import. Anyone know a rough price for standard Shockers?

Either way the tyres are going to need replaced so is it recommended to match the back with the Bridgestones on the font?

guiddruid

The Bridgestone Potenzas didn't last very long at all on my car. I won't buy them again.
I used Michelin Pilot Sport (or Sport 2's more recently) for ages, and they wore well and gripped well.
F1s are OK so far - though they were laughable in the snow (like slicks), they are a little better then the Michelins in the wet... They look pretty too :)
I wouldn't personally worry about a front-back mismatch.
If I still own the car next time the tyres need doing, I will probably revert to Michelin Pilot Sport (2s).

ITech

They are in fact made in China so once I get the shockers checked I'll put it down to these particluar tyres.

Still split between getting some Eagle F1 assymetric or Falken 452.

neilmac

Just starting to tweak...
Jul 12, 2006
I had this problem with my last tyres, Eagle F1 GSD3's - Chinnese. Shocking tyres in the end, they all wore with 50p shape and I had bearings replaced on the front as everyone was convinced it was them, it wasnt it was the tyres. I went to goodyear, told them they had a problem, not interested. Put Falken 452 XL's and have to say theyve been good, though the GSD3's were better in the wet I reckon. Im due new tyres soon...Im torn between F1 asym and 452's though Ive heard the asymetrics are hard to get at the moment due to stock levels?

Jan 3, 2006
East Kilbride
Ive also thought there was a problem with my wheel bearing or something recently but after checking my rear tyres today I noticed they were wearing like a 50p. Tyres in question are the GSD3's, on the rear and have about 2-3 mm left on them... Also couldn't see any sign of my shocks leaking?

Done a quick google search and seems to have been discussed with fellow VW, Audi and Skoda owners as well as BMW owners.

So is the problem the tyres from China? I don't really want to put my car in to a garage to check alignment, shocks etc if it's just down to the tyres...

Last edited:

Blade

Aug 31, 2004
Teesside
I had to bin 2 GSD3s because of this problem on my LCR over my 3.5 years of ownership. No suspension problems,it was just down to poor quality control at the factory. I had this issue with a tyre with only 3k miles wear on it. It was returned to the factory under a complaint - they eventually got back to me saying the wear was within tolerences and basically go away and stop bothering them.

Blade

Aug 31, 2004
Teesside
So pretty pointless complaining to Blackcircles where I purchased them then? Considering how much tread I have left now...

Its worth a shot. The dealer who sold me the tyre wanted to replace it but they had to send it back first. Thought it would be straight forward but they just refused point blank

Holy

Mar 31, 2005
Eagles on the rear of my LCR were worn on the inside and it failed its MOT because of that.

Probably only did about 10,000 milee so they lasted no where as long as my original Pirelli's.

Not sure what the problem was but I had the tracking looked at and realigned. Also decided to go back to Pirellis all round.

Although less grippy because its a harder tyre, I prefer that than changing tyres every year.

ITech

Iv'e e-mailed Goodyear with my complaint and they have told me to send the tyres back with proof of purchase. Mine are also the GSD3's made in China. The e-mail from Goodyear states that if the wear isn't down to mechanical failure then they will refund me the amount of tread thats left based on the purchase price. So i reckon I have about 4mm left on each tyre so that should be about £50 each.

If anyone would like a copy of the e-mail from Goodyear please get in touch.

I will keep you guys posted as to how I get on.

Last edited by a moderator:

andycupra

status subject to change
Iv'e e-mailed Goodyear with my complaint and they have told me to send the tyres back with proof of purchase. Mine are also the GSD3's made in China. The e-mail from Goodyear states that if the wear isn't down to mechanical failure then they will refund me the amount of tread thats left based on the purchase price. So i reckon I have about 4mm left on each tyre so that should be about £50 each.

If anyone would like a copy of the e-mail from Goodyear please get in touch.

I will keep you guys posted as to how I get on.

couple of points:
if there is say 4mm left, they may argue that is in fact 2.4mm as this is the amount of legal tread left.
So if they come with 8mm new, thats 6.4mm legal tread wear, so if you have 2.4mm left thats a little over a 3rd of the tread remaining, (37.5%)

They say they will refund based on tread left if there is no fault found?
well thats very generous of them, there is postage handle etc to take into account and on top of that based on the purchase price? (of which they may only have got or made a fraction of)... they could be at a loss refunding a 3rd of purchase cost.

If they do this then good on them, but i suspect it wont be that easy.

ITech

The wording is as follows

"our passenger tyres are warranted for 5 years from date of manufacture or date of purchase if proof can be shown. The warranty covers any manufacturing defect but not accidental damage, wear caused by a vehicle, driving styles etc. "

"Should we during our inspection offer an allowance (allowances granted are not an admission of liability) it will be % based and is worked out using the remaining tread depth of the tyre. We then advise the recommended allowance to the account holder by letter".

Postage is free and there is no charge even if they say its a fault with the car rather than the tyre. So its a got to be worth a shot. To be honest I would be happy to get any money back to go towards the cost of replacing them with new tyres.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.