Easy Connect Infotainment system going nuts

GTunney

May 28, 2013
Newcastle Upon Tyne UK
Hi Everyone,

My infotainment system has started going nuts lately.

First of all it would not respond to any touch on the screen then about 10 minutes later it'll start thinking that someone is pressing buttons and beeping when nobody is anywhere near it.

Only started doing this last week and seems to be pretty random. Sometimes it will work and sometimes it doesn't.

Anybody had anything similar to this before?

roger7248

Sep 28, 2013
Bicester, Oxon
I've had the odd electrical glitch, but not this one.

The random ghost button pushing could probably be the system catching up on your random frantic "get it to work" pushes.:lol:

alarge

Jan 7, 2014
Just registered as I am having this problem too! Every morning it will have a little episode where it could either not turn on at all, change radio stations, not respond to any touch or even not load the tracks on iPod. Also sometimes doesn't recognise the iPod.

Been to the dealer twice now, first trip they found an error code and quick reset - did nothing, second they hooked it up to Seat system to diagnose, didn't find anything. But they deleted Bluetooth phone pairings to see if it made a difference. We pretty much had no issues at all and I'm not sure that those issues were just it running a bit slow to be honest. Bluetooth is now back on to test it again and it is going mental again! 4 times yesterday!

So basically looks like it could be to do with Bluetooth pairing or something phone related. We've got two iPhones paired to it, I may try deleting my profile and see its ok with just one? Maybe it's an update to ios 7 that's caused it. Because it was fine all spring / summer. Assume lots of others have paired their phones without issue?

Marve

Apr 20, 2013
I have an iphone 5 on ios 7 paired to mine without any problem. But that is just one handset, not two...

GTunney

May 28, 2013
Newcastle Upon Tyne UK
Mine only ever seems to do this in the mornings as well. Normally after I turn the ignition on, but sometimes it does do it just randomly.

I'll try deleting the phone profile and see if that helps although I can't see how a phone pairing would make it think buttons are being pressed.

Also i've been running iOS since beta1 and haven't had any issues yet.

scrich7

Oct 6, 2013
Bedford
I only have 2 issues and neither are as significant as yours...

1. Sometimes when I get a phone call listening to music from a USB, I'll take the call, hang up and the in car ringtone continues going in a loop until I restart the ignition. Not a huge issue as I just switch to the radio, but annoying nonetheless. I get the feeling this could be an issue with the USB key I'm using, rather than the car.

2. Whenever I change the in car ringtone (the one selected really grates on me) it never saves the setting. This is the only setting I've noticed that doesn't get saved.

Suicida1 Zombie

Mar 19, 2013
I had a problem a few weeks ago, my iPod Touch was connected and it would start up, play 10 seconds of a song then the audio would stop, the screen would go black and the system would start up again after around 3 mins and then it would do it all over again until I turned off the ignition for 10 mins and started it up again and it was fine.

The statemnet from gaffer above is very true.

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
Mine became unresponsive one. As with all tech just hold down a button until something happens, in this case the power button for a good 30 seconds until it restarts.

Last edited:

bigos

Aug 16, 2009
Belfast
I have also had all the same faults mentioned above and more with my media system. I have SC FR with Tech pack it was registered last June so probably an early model.
Over the last 8 weeks the following faults or errors have occurred randomly and intermittently

1. Sat Nav starting with map in Germany
2. lcd screen failing to come on at all
3. lcd screen not responding to touch
4. volume of system muting
5. loses/forgets memory stick in usb port exists
6. cant change car phone ring tone
7. and most annoying on occasion the ring tone continues after the call was terminated only radio can override the sound

The issues all seem to resolve themselves when the car is switched off. I think it is software that needs an upgrade rather then issues with USB sticks or bluetooth profiles.
The car is going into the dealers next week as there is also a warning light for LED headlights
Cant beat some new technology!

AJ

Oct 16, 2013
Hopefully they can fix the issues with a firmware or software update? I have had none of the above issues on my media system, in fact it works great. I have a 5dr FR with Tech Pack which was built in wk 50. My media system is on Hardware version: 040 and Software version: 0425 if that helps :)

ac2013

Sep 1, 2013
This is interesting as I too have had a strange issue with my system that has happened 3 or 4times intermittently over the last 3 months.

Whilst driving the radio volume will suddenly drop to a set level and it is impossible to turn the volume up any higher either using the radio volume button or steering wheel volume.
I can however turn the volume up and down below that level. Very annoying.
As with everyone else if I turn off the ignition and leave the car for 5 minutes it corrects itself.

I will trying holding the radio button for 30 seconds next time and see if this resets it instead of stopping the car and leaving it.

JK1

May 15, 2002
Bedford
Visit site
I'd say if your car is more than a few months old get it booked in at the dealers, there's almost certainly been firmware updates for the entertainment system since it was first shipped.

Mark101

Hi new to the forum this is my first reply / post ? I have the same issue (Mk3 FR 13 plate) with the ringtone setting, always reverts back to the annoying one first on the list. Have you have any luck sorting it ??

DreadnoughtPt

Dec 3, 2013
I have a similar issue with mine.

Every once in a while, the steering wheel buttons won't respond correctly.

The most noticeable fault is when I try to skip a song or radio station, and instead of skipping, it mutes the radio.

The solution is then to turn the car off, wait a minute, and everything will be back to normal.

I'm going to book a visit to the dealer's this week, and hopefully they'll have a Firmware update or something that will fix this.

It's not a high profile bug, but it's annoying as hell! [:@]

AndyN

Feb 7, 2014

The most noticeable fault is when I try to skip a song or radio station, and instead of skipping, it mutes the radio.

The solution is then to turn the car off, wait a minute, and everything will be back to normal.

I'm going to book a visit to the dealer's this week, and hopefully they'll have a Firmware update or something that will fix this.

Mine also does this. Thought I was going nuts!! Has anyone been to the dealers yet?

AndyN

Feb 7, 2014

Any update on this?

Phil2837

Mar 11, 2014
Sometimes when I get a phone call listening to music from a USB, I'll take the call, hang up and the in car ringtone continues going in a loop until I restart the ignition. Not a huge issue as I just switch to the radio, but annoying nonetheless. I get the feeling this could be an issue with the USB key I'm using, rather than the car.
I have had the exact same issue, though my music was on SD card rather than USB; this happened following a firmware update in Jan 2014 (note I'm not blaming the update, just confirming that the problem still occurs with latest update).

I pulled over, switched the ignition off, back on and the problem was still occurring (continuous incoming ringtone whenever I selected media, fine with radio). It only stopped after leaving the car overnight (when I assume it had turned "more off") after which everything behaved normally.

I have also seen one other gremlin, which was with the volume on the sat nav; having checked all other settings, and with the navigation announcement volume roughly in the middle, I would still get no audio announcement when using the sat-nav. I went through all the settings several times, enabled and disabled announcements etc. In the end, the fix was to drop the announcement volume level to zero, and then raise it back up again, at which point everything worked fine. Just mentioning in case anyone else comes across it.

Last edited:

AndySX

Aug 8, 2013
This morning I started getting issues similar to the original poster, My 5 door FR with Tec Pack was registered in August 2013.

I started the car this morning and noticed that the touch screen wasn't responding, after much prodding it turned out only the top half was unresponsive. The bottom half responded to touch as normal. I fiddled for a while before leaving for work, then on the way to work the touch screen started reacting to non-existant touches, jumped between screens for a bit, then settled down and worked correctly.

I've got two phones paired via bluetooth, an HTC One and a Nokia Lumia 925. It's all been working perfectly till now. If it happens again I'll need to phone my dealer.

In the mean time, has anyone found a way to fix it, or is a firmware update available?

Thanks,
Andrew

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.