Ebay VCDS is this the one to get? UPDATE 2...IT WORKS !! sorry

Mcloovin

Sep 19, 2014
Has anyone a picture of the board of the xcar360 one ? i think they are missing power supply protection,voltage regular and few other parts

Aug 31, 2013
Washington Tyne&Wear
update on this well the wire queen suggested from xbox360 just does not work!!

it installs the latest software great...

you click on test run and it says it needs to update the HEX so you click update and it just keeps saying FAILED!!!

tried for ages... unless I am doing somthing wrong lol...

ffs

says this
The Firmware in your HEX interface is out of date!
Current HEX Firmware Version: 1.92
This version of VCDS requires: 1.93

Click the UPDATE button to update your HEX interface.
*The interface MUST remain plugged into the car
* An Internet connection is NOT required.

but wont let me update

Last edited:

Dan FR

Meth addict. Stage 2+ Yo!
Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
If youve updated it then its dead.

You can buy it for less than £11 delivered and it works perfectly. Pinned post at the top of the facebook group 'Vag Talk' for a link. Takes 1-2 weeks from China. If i had access to FB in work i'd post the link but it's easy to find

Last edited:

Mcloovin

Sep 19, 2014

you click on test run and it says it needs to update the HEX so you click update and it just keeps saying FAILED!!!

ffs

says this

but wont let me update

12.12.3 uses fw 1.92 so it's obvious you downloaded or installed 14.10.0 which fw 1.93 chinese hardware's 12.12.3 have blacklist serial or and has very low quality chipset either NEC or CHINA
You can try installing 12.12.3 on VM with no internet try it again

as Dan FR said you have 1 dead interface

BTW ! can you open it post a pic ?

Last edited:

queen

~Nassia~
Nov 29, 2010
Athens, Greece

ffs

says this

but wont let me update

Your cable arrived with a mini disc together right?
The mini disc contains the "paired" VCDS version that is gonna work with your cable.
That's the one you're supposed to install.
If you install any other version or update it's gonna get black listed.
However you can email the Chinese and maybe they can sort it out for you.

Dan FR

Meth addict. Stage 2+ Yo!
Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
^^^:lol::rofl:^^^

Far easier to buy a new one for £11. They will only turn around and tell you it's your own fault, which it is

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Joking aside this kind of thing is exactly what I expect when someone buys a cheapo cable, someone will buy it and it'll work, they'll tout it to everybody else and very few people actually get the same success, seen it loads of times before.

I maintain that spending the extra money on a genuine cable is still the best way to go, like I said it'll still be worth roughly what you paid for it when you come to sell it.

The money you spend chasing a cheap cable that might work, in the end comes to a lot more than the initial £10 you think you're going to spend.

In the grand scheme of things given how much most of us spend on our cars, £250 isn't a great outlay, it just seems a lot because it's just a cable.

Aug 31, 2013
Washington Tyne&Wear
right on the disc it had a load of options

12.12.en
12.12.3a

I installed the 14 as yes I looked at the date and thought the rest where not in use? as when I installed the others it says THIS VERSION IS OUT OF DATE.... so when I installed the 14.10 it worked and I could see the options on what I can use but I needed to run the test for it work install and it said the HEX is out of date so I had to update it.

Aug 31, 2013
Washington Tyne&Wear
12.12.3 uses fw 1.92 so it's obvious you downloaded or installed 14.10.0 which fw 1.93 chinese hardware's 12.12.3 have blacklist serial or and has very low quality chipset either NEC or CHINA
You can try installing 12.12.3 on VM with no internet try it again

as Dan FR said you have 1 dead interface

BTW ! can you open it post a pic ?

yep I tired and kept getting this...

then the 14 this but wont update... this was the only option that kinda worked but not fully as you can see..

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Putting aside all the legal and moral reasons why you should not buy rip-off copies, if you buy the proper VCDS from an authorised seller - and there are many in UK, you will get supported for the lifetime of that product, and when the time comes for RossTech to replace it with an evolved tool, your old version can be traded in. You sound like, so far, you don't have a great car issues and just want to enjoy the benefits of being able to change things slightly in your car, and that is fair enough, but unfortunately, in the future, you will probably want to be able to find out what is going wrong with your car, and either try to fix it or make a judgement on if it is safe to continue to use it. This is where these scan tools come into their own and your £270+ spend will pale into insignificance.

If you plan to work your way through/up the VAG range of cars, getting a proper copy of VCDS will keep working for a very long time, I've had VAG COM since 2002, then traded it in for VCDS, so my total spend of maybe £185 + maybe £155 to upgrade, has kept me up to date for 12 years and going looking after/fixing 5 cars and some friends cars - remember, VCDS can operate as an OBD2 generic engine code reader for any other marques that are playing the game wrt OBD2 code designations!

One last thing, the power that this tool gives me to talk to my cars, kind of keeps me owning VAG cars, because after having this, I would feel lost if I could not check the car faults - duff garage man says "blah blah £1000 mate!" now how can you argue against that when you have nothing to back it up?

Edit:- BTW the "409" being referred to was the final update of VAG COM which used a dumb dongle, ie security/license was in the S/W not the dongle. There was never any possibility to use that tool with "410" > issues of what became VCDS, it became the "freeware" version of S/W also known as VCDS LITE - ie light weight VCDS, so that advert is a bit confusing, though going to China and wringing someone's neck just is not going to work as they sell rubbish food!

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2013
Washington Tyne&Wear
Putting aside all the legal and moral reasons why you should not buy rip-off copies, if you buy the proper VCDS from an authorised seller - and there are many in UK, you will get supported for the lifetime of that product, and when the time comes for RossTech to replace it with an evolved tool, your old version can be traded in. You sound like, so far, you don't have a great car issues and just want to enjoy the benefits of being able to change things slightly in your car, and that is fair enough, but unfortunately, in the future, you will probably want to be able to find out what is going wrong with your car, and either try to fix it or make a judgement on if it is safe to continue to use it. This is where these scan tools come into their own and your £270+ spend will pale into insignificance.

If you plan to work your way through/up the VAG range of cars, getting a proper copy of VCDS will keep working for a very long time, I've had VAG COM since 2002, then traded it in for VCDS, so my total spend of maybe £185 + maybe £155 to upgrade, has kept me up to date for 12 years and going looking after/fixing 5 cars and some friends cars - remember, VCDS can operate as an OBD2 generic engine code reader for any other marques that are playing the game wrt OBD2 code designations!

One last thing, the power that this tool gives me to talk to my cars, kind of keeps me owning VAG cars, because after having this, I would feel lost if I could not check the car faults - duff garage man says "blah blah £1000 mate!" now how can you argue against that when you have nothing to back it up?

100% just going to buy the genuine cable now and yes I want it to check the car over even thow its fine and yes to add some gadgets from it...
as said its not a whole lot of dollar but just wanted to try this first as peeps have and have success

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Update, my last comments, added after you started replying, are probably wrong, it is described as VCDS LITE (409) and it is listed as only being compliant on cars brought to market up to 2004. For that reason, I've never used my hand held Gendan VAG tool on my newer cars as it also "stops" at about 2004 cars.

Edit:- Gendan do sell VCDS www.gendan.co.uk

I used www.onboarddiagnostics.co.uk

I have had no issues at all in using these two companies for diagnostic stuff.

Second Edit:- my comments referred to your initial choice, the second one certainly sounds a bit suspect, and as you have discovered - was!

Last edited:

Mcloovin

Sep 19, 2014
yep I tired and kept getting this...
then the 14 this but wont update... this was the only option that kinda worked but not fully as you can see..
Yes all chinese version will have update reminder mate stop this need to turn pc time back
if you install 12.12.3 connect to the car start software then select [options] > [test] interface
take a screen shot if give's error of any sort you may throw it in the bin

Aug 31, 2013
Washington Tyne&Wear
Yes all chinese version will have update reminder mate stop this need to turn pc time back
if you install 12.12.3 connect to the car start software then select [options] > [test] interface
take a screen shot if give's error of any sort you may throw it in the bin

EDIT

mate you are a GENIUS!!!

it works LOL

cheeeeers man

the obd2 doesnt work thow on it...

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members