Eco Tech Valve

Cupra-Matt

Feb 12, 2005
Notts
Just had my car serviced and have been told that I have a noisy eco-tech valve.

Just wondering where it is, how much a replacement and how easy it is to replace, I am sure it is the idle valve as when i start my car it sounds like a high revving tank. :cartman:

Have done a search and nothing came up for eco-tech valve.

CupraSteve

Feb 3, 2006
ecotek valve is a pointless device that goes in a brake vacuum hose, it is sposed to better fuel economy or performance.

Cant believe people buy these things

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
I am just guessing, but it sounds like its likely to be related to emission/tree hugging type technology. If its noisy, so what. Wait until its broken!

Idle control valve is just that - would not be called an ecotech valve.

chriz1

Dec 13, 2005
ive had my vlave for about 2 years now and yeah it is quite noisy when new but now really quiet i cant hear it anyway and it does work you see a hell of a difference in fuel saved believe me it WORKS!

chriz1

Dec 13, 2005
Sounds Like Its Farting When New Although You Can Get Silencers For Them

Icecavern

Jun 12, 2001
Berkshire, UK
www.icecavern.com
chriz1 said:
it does work you see a hell of a difference in fuel saved believe me it WORKS!

No it doesn't. If it worked all car manufacturers would be fitting them as standard to get better MPG figures.

All it does is make your car sound like an asmatic donkey and give you a nice air leak into your brake vacuum hose.

chriz1

Dec 13, 2005
Im serious the past 2 cars ive had swift gti,206 gti 180,and now the lcr and ran all cars standard for a few months until i got round to fitting it and there is a noticeable difference as for manufacturers when do they ever fit decent stuff that we all like them to,because of cost thats why.

Icecavern

Jun 12, 2001
Berkshire, UK
www.icecavern.com
The 5p it would cost a manufacturer to fit a device like this is nothing when they would be able to give better MPG figures to get one over the next brand.

I've had one of these eco-tech valves and it just didn't work. Made the brakes nice and spongy though :eek:

chriz1

Dec 13, 2005
oh well swings and roundabouts then it looks like,works for me and always has,could see the difference it made when i had my car RR,put my finger over it and the emisssions went up a bit and then dropped when taken away,wouldnt reccomend fitting it to your brake servo vacum pipe any vacum pipe leading to the inlet manifold will do.

Cupra-Matt

Feb 12, 2005
Notts
Really don't think that it is an ECOTEK valve, the car was serviced by a non seat garage so maybe the description is wrong.

The bit/ part/ thingy i mean makes the car go to fast idle every so often when I start the car like a choke, or secondary air pump.

Please help.

gregclarks

Trying to Resist ARBs
May 31, 2006
Could an ECOTEK valve decrease brake performance when fitted correctly??? If i remove it where can i get a replacement hose from as i have had to cut mine to fit it.

I didnt notice any change, i want to remove it i think!

cuprablue

Nov 12, 2006
The 5p it would cost a manufacturer to fit a device like this is nothing when they would be able to give better MPG figures to get one over the next brand.

5p x millions is a significant amount of money.

Anyway 5p is an erroneous figure. Even if that were the true cost of the part to the manufacturer that doesn't take in to consideration all the other factors which add up to the real cost of adding the part to the car ie production/output/tooling/man-hour costs etc

People often incorrectly assume that the manufacturers make the best car they can produce. Not true. They make the best compromise they can make taking in to consideration the price point they are aiming at and their intended market sector. This is true for ALL manufacturing.

5 mpg better economy might be significant to each individual if it cost you £10-£20 to gain it but most people, (who are in the market for a sporty hatchback) won't pay £500+ for it, and the manufacturers know that.

cuprablue

cuprablue

Nov 12, 2006

Interesting indeed.

I didn't read through the whole thing admittedly but I did find it interesting that on the one hand he dismisses the product because of lack of scientific evidence provided by the manufacturer that it actually works and their reliance on anecdotal "testimonial" evidence whilst using exactly the same anecdotal "posts on forums" evidence and also not providing any hard scientific fact that it doesn't work, making the excuse that it would be too time consuming and expensive for him to do so, (much the same excuse the manufacturer would give no doubt).

I should point out that I've never heard of the said product before and have no interest in if it works or not.

cuprablue

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.