"ECS HKS BOV Kit" Any expirience?

petros

Sep 3, 2001
Chania- Greece
Visit site
Hi and Happy New Year to everybody!!

While surfing in a forum i read about ECS HKS BOV(Blow-Off Valve) Kit.
As i realise this is a replacement for the DV.
Any one have any info or expirience about this product?

Here are some adresses about ECS HKS BOV:

http://www.imoto.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/hkswastegatesblowoffs.html (part number and price)

http://www.ecstuning.com/bovfaqpage.htm (faq)

http://www.ecstuning.com/ttecsbovpicpage.htm (pictures)

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=257261
(thread from vwvortex)

Shock_Xe

I looked at this a while back as my GFB BOV worked on standard motor but not on chipped. On VWvortex he running on standard jetta 1.8T which is basically the same engine with no problems (like my GFB), but they say it was designed for chipped cars which could be promising!!!! TBH I really miss my old GFB BOV. I loved the sound weather its boy racer or not! It was a reason for me too have a turbo!

Anyway Can some1 get one to test for the site!!!!!!! could see a few potential people and possibly Group buy!!!

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
hey peeps - so sorry to bring up a very old thread here.

Just wanted some opinions on these HKS BOV's that work on the 1.8T engines.

I know of at least 4 or 5 Leons that run these bov's (including Robdon - believe he's refitting one soon) but still want more opinions if possible.

ECS/HKS all say they work without engine check lights. However, I want to know what the car runs like with one fitted. Is it pot luck if it runs on your car or not? Or do they only run on std engines and not modified/remapped cars?

Its a lot of money for a valve, but if they run then I'm intriegued. Getting one could be a problem, but thats not an issue to me at the moment, as I'm in no rush at all.

Comments/experiences wanted pls. Thanks

Shock_Xe

i ran bout bout 2 years ago. Car either had alot of lag or stalled..... not good

Icecavern

Jun 12, 2001
Berkshire, UK
www.icecavern.com
Mr R ran fine with it on, no error codes, no limp mode nothing... but...

One day it nearly killed me! On my way to a rolling road day, took a wrong turning on a country road. Decided to do a 3 point and go back, half way round I noticed the artic truck gaining on me FAST! Put my foot down to pull the car round wwwhhhoooooossssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh and that was it. ECU decided to open the valve and kept it that way. Result was no power at all, car was going nowhere and the turbo was just forcing air out the BOV.

Eventualy it closed and I just managed to get going before the truck got to me, but it was scarey enough for me to take it off the second it was cool enough outside the RR.

The standard ECU just isn't designed for it, and I wouldn't advise it.

Pete

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
thanks pete - thats good advice.

Seems weird with the mixed experiences though - Robdon, and 2 other heavily modified LC's i know of run em and love em.

But I'm gonna stick with what I have.

RobDon

Pro Detailer
I have the HKS SSQV back on my car again now - no problems once again. The check light I got after 8 months of using the HKS turned out to be nothing to do with the HKS at all, now I have VAG-COM I can check stuff out for myself. One thing worth noting is that removing the vacuum reservoir seems to help when running a BOV. The ECU stores vacuum to open the DV/BOV when it deems necessary, by removing the reservoir the ECU can't hold it open as there is no stored vacuum - I have no running issues at all by removing the reservoir, if anything the DV/BOV is louder! My theory could be way off but it seems to make sense to me.

I removed my plugs after 8 months of running the HKS and they were perfect, not black and sooty like you'd think, so there was no evidence of running too rich, I know of at least 2 other guys who found the same, one guy on Audizine has VAG-COM logs that show his car is running within normal parameters using a BOV.

I hav nothing bad to say about the HKS - very well made, works great and sounds awesome.

Last edited:

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
thanks rob.. admitedly you are once again my inspiration for bringing this up on SCN....

The noise my forge dv & carbonio CAI makes is good - but not BOV-like - its more just like a wooshing of air. If I could get a HKS to work, then I'd revert back to std airbox with a green panel filter or something (smoothed out) leaving only the dump noise from the BOV...

but too many contradictions on these at the moment - i know some people have got them to run, others have had no end of problems. And for £200 ish, or whatever it works out at, its rather a gamble for me.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
hmmm... been contemplating removing the resevoir anyway - just gotta figure out how :) Read it somewhere.....

So if thats removed, the valve might run fine then? It certainly sounds the dogs from the clips i've heard :)

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Will certainly help keep the valve shut. The HKS, Forge 004 and Bailey DV26 are all designed to stay shut at idle - the Forge and Bailey are both around £80 and twin piston, a small piston keeps it shut at idle.

To remove the reservoir all you do is disconnect and unbolt it and block off the pipe, I used 8mm hose and a blanking plug.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
ohh sounds easy then :)

I've already got the 007P - would removing the reservoir have any bad impacts on my car as it is now? Can the 007p run fine without it?

You used 8mm hose and a blanking plug - can you not just plug the original hose that goes to the reservoir? Or is it all 1 piece?

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
I'm also assuming that you get 0 errors due to the lack of reservoir? The errors are because the HKS doesnt connect back to the TIP?

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Yeah the hose is built into the reservoir - no errors so far no, should be fine to remove it anytime yes. You'll always get a stored pending error for a pressure leak between turbo and throttle body (because of venting to atmo), but not a check light.

res1.jpg

res2.jpg

I've circled where I blocked off the pipe that the reservoir hose went to.

Last edited:

RobDon

Pro Detailer
No, I removed it a while ago as it was a PITA and just looked plain ugly, I read a few threads on Vortex and Audizine that loads had removed the reservoir with no effects, if anything guys said even their DV's were louder, I have to say that the re-circ. Bailey DV30 I was running did sound louder with no res.