Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

"ECS HKS BOV Kit" Any expirience?

Discussion in 'Leon Mk1 (2000-2006)' started by petros, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Pabs

the whole reason i dragged this thread up, i suppose, it to get some kind of POLL results - see how many people have tried the bov, and then how many of those were successful.

I KNOW they are not SUPPOSED to work - i want to know who has actually TRIED it! Ie, from experience, and not opinion.

So far, Robdon + 3 other LC's i know of run them and run them without fault. 1 LCR ran with a possible issue (iceman) but might be resolved by removing the reservoir. I only know of 1 person who has put one on and said - didnt work.

So to me, that looks like 5 out of 6 worked.

2. CupraSteve

CupraSteve Full Member

i agree pabs, i would also be a little worried, going by that article though, that even if the car doesnt go into limp mode, it kind of suggests you may be doing damage long term to other components of the car

3. Ruddmeister

Ruddmeister Everything in Moderation

Pabs add to your survey how many miles they have run, putting it on for 200 miles won't exactly be representative

And maybe 'How' they have checked things are 'OK' e.g, VAG COM clear

4. CupraSteve

CupraSteve Full Member

good thinking steve

5. RobDon

RobDon Pro Detailer

As far as length of time goes, mine was on for 8 months straight and thousands of miles, only pending code stored was for pressure leak, which you always get with a BOV, but no check light. Craig and v-g ran the HKS for well over a year and over 12k miles, same thing, perfect spark plugs, no check lights, VAG-COM checked out fine, v-g still has his on. Guy on Audizine well over a year and 10k miles with the Forge 004 BOV, VAG-COM logs show his fuelling is running within normal VAG parameters.

Beauty of the HKS, GReddy, etc. is that they can be re-circulated if needed, simple £10 adapter and it's re-circed.

6. Ruddmeister

Ruddmeister Everything in Moderation

Sounds good...If I still had my car I would try it.......

Anyone tried reading with wideband A/F equipment, assume the LC / LCR is the stock SEAT narrow band stuff ??

7. Mr Roboto

Mr Roboto Domo Arigato

What if the car has had a remap would this make it less likely to work or should not make a difference :confused:

8. Pabs

put it this way Mr Roboto - Robdon's car is highly modified/remapped.... and so is Craigs....

Rob - recirculating the HKS - does that stop it totally dumping to atmos, hence removing the BOV element and "converting" it to a recirc DV? Or does it still make the noise of a BOV, and recirc at the same time? (obviously not recircing ALL of the air..)

9. Icecavern

Icecavern ICE God

if you recirculate the valve there's no point to fitting it, might as well stick to a 007p.

10. Pabs

Pete, that wasnt the question.

If I had an HKS, and it didnt work, but there was a possibility that it would work as a recirc, then that'd also be a big plus.

To get the HKS, I'd probably end up selling my CAI and my 007p. Then the money from these would go to the HKS.

If it didnt work as a BOV, i'd then need to sell it and swap back to a 007p. But if it works as a recirc as well, i wouldnt need to sell it.

11. Icecavern

Icecavern ICE God

Yeah but you'd be better off keeping the 007 ( as it's not worth much second hand ) and then putting that back on and selling the HKS if it doesn't work. You loose less money that way.

12. cupra@180

cupra@180 Guest

13. Pabs

true i suppose mate. Was gonna sell it and my CAI, stick the bosch unit on for a week and then swap, but your idea makes more sense.

14. RobDon

RobDon Pro Detailer

Yes, if it doesn't work you don't have to sell it, just get the re-circ. adapter and DV it, that was my point, it's still a superior valve to the likes of Forge etc. and will work very well as a DV, but you'll get none of the noise.

15. Pabs

ok well cheers for all the comments/advice people. Will just see what comes around now.

16. GaryM

GaryM Golf GTI 1.8T 180

So you're saying that an HKS BOV running in recirc mode with an adaptor is a superior valve to Forge's recirc valves? On what basis, internal workings, build quality?

I've had both a 007P and now an Eliminator (Forge) and both perform perfectly and are built to an extremelly high standard.

17. RobDon

RobDon Pro Detailer

It's a pull relief valve, so more boost pushes it harder shut, rather than boost trying to force the valve open all the time, it's also a dual-stage valve too, smaller valve for light throttle and larger one for high boost. So yes, technically the HKS is superior to most dump valves.

http://www.hksusa.com/products/more.asp?id=792

There is nothing wrong with Forge etc., I'm not saying anything against them (never have done, no need to defend them), but the HKS is superior. Found some vid clips with the HKS SSQV, 2 of a big bhp Audi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rq9Q0qR9yA&search=bov
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlT-DVRXFFY&search=bov
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWCeHWCfBiI&search=bov

18. Pabs

that first vid (S4) sounds AWESOME!!! Is that what the DV really sounds like on your car Rob??

19. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Full Member

So does this valve have to be located in close proximity to the inlet mani or will it (in theory) work just as well in the OE position; obviously with the TIP return blanked.

20. Pabs

#60 Pabs, Jul 7, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2006