egr blanking plate???

reefer24131

Jun 9, 2013
kent
first question: ive seen on ebay a pair of blanking plates? surely if if you just blank the exhaust side of it that will do the job?

second question: if fit a blanking plate but drill lets say, 4 or 5 2mm holes in the center, will that stop the eml light coning on or does it just defeat the object of blanking it in the first place?

thanks for reading.

BenG

Ben
Oct 26, 2011
Cove Bay, Aberdeen
Only need to blank off the pipe at the exhaust end.

The engine light issue only seems to affect later cars, e.g: 2004/5. Now I'm writing this reply I can't see what car you've got but if it's older, you might not have the issue...

Some people seem to have kept the engine light off by drilling a 2-3mm hole, though I guess the hole could block over time given the sooty crud that will be coming through.

I got my EGR flow turned down to a minimum using VCDS instead, and just kept the standard EGR valve and pipework. There's a how-to on here somewhere I think.

Third option is just to replace the entire EGR asembly with a 'race pipe' and bypass/delete the EGR cooler (Darkside sell a pipe for this ISTR). Would definitely need to get the EGR function mapped out then to stop the engine light coming on. Only problem then is that you lose the butterfly anti-shudder valve in the EGR housing which could be handy to shut down the engine in the event of diesel runaway, e.g: turbo seal failure or overfilling with oil...

Whatever you do it's probably worth checking how clogged the EGR assembly / inlet manifold are already and considering cleaning them out if they have significant carbon deposits choking the air flow.

reefer24131

Jun 9, 2013
kent
thanks for the reply, ive got a 2004 leon pd150.

i guess i can only try and blank it and see what happens. once i fit blanking plate do i leave the vacuum pipe connected as ive seen some people have disconnected it?

BenG

Ben
Oct 26, 2011
Cove Bay, Aberdeen
Leave the pipe connected. That way the valve will operate as normal and not trigger the check engine light. The blanking plate will restrict the flow.

reefer24131

Jun 9, 2013
kent
ok mate thanks, so im better off cleaning everything, and turning the flow down via vcds rather than fitting a blanking plate with a 3mm hole in the center?

BenG

Ben
Oct 26, 2011
Cove Bay, Aberdeen
Blocking the pipe will disable the EGR valve totally but might bring on the engine light - apparently it does on later cars (2004 on).

Using the blanking plate will limit but not eliminate the flow, as will turning down the flow in VCDS. This will reduce the rate at which crud accumulates in the EGR valve housing / intake manifold. So both these actions will have a similar effect.

Obviously any crud that's already there will stay put until you clean it out...

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise