EGR clean and delete on TDI CR 170hp, just done it!

Mac

Dec 13, 2013
TM. RO
www.racingparts.ro
since tomorrow i have plans to remove the DPF before going to remap it
i wanted to remove the EGR as well
very tricky to remove it because access is not so good, my hands still hurt

after i took it off , cleaned it well to remove all the shi7 inside, and there was lot of it trust me

to block the valve i made a 1.5mm aluminum plate to block the intake , and used it instead of the gasket originally mounted

i took it for 4km ride to see how it goes and everything is ok, no errors on dash

should i talk to revo next week to eliminate the egr from software as well?
or just leave it like this connected?

on the last photo i installed the aluminum plate to block exhaust gas going into the engine

Last edited:

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
That engine is similar to the asz engine in the 2.0 ltr tdi touran 140bhp. It's hard going for space. I haven't researched much into the benefits of egr deletes but the other half of the egr valve at the back of the engine is even harder to get to. I take it you would have to pull out or block the egr cooler as well.

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
Cool. So was the dpf in where that section of weld is. I wonder how then that the MOT are going to able to verify that your car actually hasn't got a dpf other than by pulling it apart.

dazla7878

just got a leon cupra turbo and i think the egr valve need to be cleaned so i was just seeing where it is so please can some one put some pics up for me thank you

Mac

Dec 13, 2013
TM. RO
www.racingparts.ro
the EGR valve is the piece you see in my photos above
i just cleaned it and blocked the burned gas intake, then put it back on the engine, as simple as that
no water lines come inside that piece as you can see

i just have an intermittent error egr pressure to low , but it doesnt evet show on the dash, so it doesnt bother me

also drove home 10km without dpf , no error also , so far

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
The water lines are on the cooler ;)

You will get codes following deletion of DPF and EGR. depends on a few factors, but you will get them in the end. The difference between the pre and post -DPF temperature sensors will be noticed by the ECU

Mac

Dec 13, 2013
TM. RO
www.racingparts.ro
here is the egr replaced on a similar engine, using darkside perf. delete pipe

dont see any water lines around :)

egr cooler should be situated on the egr unit, right?
my engine code is CEG

CBEA_EGR_Delete__10433.1348569497.800.600.JPG

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
No. EGR cooler is around the back of the engine, where the tube is that connects to the exhaust port...where the exhaust comes from for the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation).

Mac

Dec 13, 2013
TM. RO
www.racingparts.ro
i will take a look
but for the moment that piece can stay there if it doesnt bother me or gives any error codes

did you remove it? i see we have identical models

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
i will take a look
but for the moment that piece can stay there if it doesnt bother me or gives any error codes

did you remove it? i see we have identical models

Nah I kept mine on. Benefits didn't outweigh the negatives for me. Reduced EGTs, better cold starts, etc.
I'd rather have that than a tiiiny little bit more responsiveness.

Mac

Dec 13, 2013
TM. RO
www.racingparts.ro
in the end is just crap entering the engine , cant do any good imho
if you see your intake you will not believe your eyes , the dirt inside , for sure it;s not helping the engine run better

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
in the end is just crap entering the engine , cant do any good imho
if you see your intake you will not believe your eyes , the dirt inside , for sure it;s not helping the engine run better

Absolutely. It's more pronounced these days but remember EGRs have been on cars since the late 90s. Some of which have never been cleaned and still run fine.

Yes it will run better with a cleaned EGR. A monthly hit of EGR cleaner also does wonders. No real need to remove it on a car that's only a few years old.

But yes the intake will be cleaner without it

Mac

Dec 13, 2013
TM. RO
www.racingparts.ro
with cleaner all the shi7 goes in the engine , no thanks

in 2 days i will remove dpf and egr from ecu map and do the stage 2 revo

on our race bikes every tuner removes those useless valves , in the end is same with cars

and since it's missing, you cant get issues anymore :)

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
Haha. That is true. And to be honest that's why I considered removing it as well.

But sadly my selfish side kicked in....I never really own a car for longer than 2-3 years so...not my problem hahaha

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
The cousins 2 ltr tdi touran had a hole in the egr valve at the back of the engine that was spliiling all his coolant at a fair rate of knots. I took it off and got it plug welded. It wasn't easy and with my Edd China hands I managed to brake a brake servo vacuum line. The exhaust gases pass through the case which has a coolant jacket going around it. It's operated by a vacuum. It was very soot free and didn't have any junk build up in it, probably due to the higher exhaust gas temperatures. For comparison my egr valve in my 90 bhp tdi AHU cordoba had a medium to moderate build up of soot in it. My cousins touran could definitely benefit from lower exhaust gases being drawn back into the cylinders as it's a bit ropey. He was going to consider the egr delete if he had to replace the valve at near £100 for the valve and £250 or more for the cooler.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.