EGR Cleaning on Altea.

loadswine

loadswine
Well I took the plate out within 5 miles of the light originally coming on, so I could see whather it goes out over the next few days. I used the car first thing this morning and its still lit, but I'll report back on this, as it could help others in the future. Thanks for the input guys its very handy.

loadswine

loadswine
Well, I'm a little closer to understanding what's caused the CEL code anyway. Had a hand held code reader and vag.com on there and both pointed to a problem with the intake manifold flap, which I'm assuming is what I've called the anti shudder valve. Looked up a few instances of this and apparently a blown fuse can cause the code, so checked fuses under the bonnet and sure enough a 10 amp had blown. Replaced it and code cleared for 3 starts and shut downs, but then returned.
Fuse blown again, so I am assuming there is a problem with the wiring on the motor for the valve itself.
Was okay before cleaning, so I'm wondering if the carb cleaner has upset the motor.
I will investigate further and report back, though I think a new one will probably be the way to go.
Wish I could do away with the egr and anti shudder assembly completely, as its a pain.

chrisash32

Altea Driver
Oct 17, 2007
Well, I'm a little closer to understanding what's caused the CEL code anyway. Had a hand held code reader and vag.com on there and both pointed to a problem with the intake manifold flap, which I'm assuming is what I've called the anti shudder valve. Looked up a few instances of this and apparently a blown fuse can cause the code, so checked fuses under the bonnet and sure enough a 10 amp had blown. Replaced it and code cleared for 3 starts and shut downs, but then returned.
Fuse blown again, so I am assuming there is a problem with the wiring on the motor for the valve itself.
Was okay before cleaning, so I'm wondering if the carb cleaner has upset the motor.
I will investigate further and report back, though I think a new one will probably be the way to go.
Wish I could do away with the egr and anti shudder assembly completely, as its a pain.

Sorry to drag up an old post but i could do with some help on this one.
I have had a fault code come up fro my intake manifold flap over the past week which i assume is because it is so clogged up and the flap cannot return to its set position.
SEAT just want to replace it for just over £300 but i would like a shot at repairing it.

Also, where abouts was the fuse that you talk about? I am unsure if mine is fuse related as i can get the code to go away for short spaces of time if i clear it using my ST3 code reader.

Speaking of ST3 as well, how easy was it to get them to send out the new map removing the EGR fault codes. As i might just blank it off if i can get the code removed as well with the ST3.

Any help is much appreciated!

Cheers
Chris

loadswine

loadswine
I haven't had the time to remove my flap assembly yet, but I'm betting that there is a short in the wiring inside the mechanism itself. Funnily enough, my code only showed up after the flap and EGR valve had been cleaned. I'm thinking some contaminats must have found there way into the electrics, but still not sure.
Fuse is one of the red ones on the right hand side of the under bonnet fuse box. My original one was blown, and a replacement lasted a couple of startups only , hence my assumption of a short.
Been running with the cel for a few weeks now and no adverse affects noted, but I will sort this eventually. Its worth a stab at fix it yourself with replacements coming in at £300!
If I find anything new, I'll post it up.
Good luck with yours Chris.

chrisash32

Altea Driver
Oct 17, 2007
I haven't had the time to remove my flap assembly yet, but I'm betting that there is a short in the wiring inside the mechanism itself. Funnily enough, my code only showed up after the flap and EGR valve had been cleaned. I'm thinking some contaminats must have found there way into the electrics, but still not sure.
Fuse is one of the red ones on the right hand side of the under bonnet fuse box. My original one was blown, and a replacement lasted a couple of startups only , hence my assumption of a short.
Been running with the cel for a few weeks now and no adverse affects noted, but I will sort this eventually. Its worth a stab at fix it yourself with replacements coming in at £300!

How easy was it to get the whole thing out when you cleaned your EGR? Also how long would you guess the job took in total?
I really want to block the EGR off but cant seem to find the plate to do it... Am i blind and missing something here??

Cheers!

Chris

ouch... You can get a remap for 300 and get them to remove the CEL light warning and plug in a replacement pipe and do away with the EGR valve altogether:)

chrisash32

Altea Driver
Oct 17, 2007
ouch... You can get a remap for 300 and get them to remove the CEL light warning and plug in a replacement pipe and do away with the EGR valve altogether:)

Do you have details on all the gear needed to do this?
Also any pics as i think i see you have done yours already?

Sounds like a good plan, just got a few questions, eg what do you do with the old pipes going to the EGR and also how were ******* about sending you a new map?

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't as yet fitted my pipe, I have no garage and weather in NI has been crap to say the least of late.

got my replacement pipe from Allard though they have now moved and renamed. the pipes are still available here: http://www.egrvalve.co.uk/index.php?page=products.

the pipe from the exhaust that goes into the egr is blanked off with the plate. not sure at what end as yet.....

As too the "ST3" map and CEL light removal, I hosted the latest release of the software for the PC v3.25 on my of my domains. Fortunately Simon at "you know where".... said he would do both my maps again (due to new the software upgrade to the ST3 device) and he removed the CEL light also.

afaik they will charge approx £50 to remove the cel light from the maps if you just need it removed and already have the maps done.

HTH

chrisash32

Altea Driver
Oct 17, 2007
btw like the new site Chris.. just need a few peeps now:)

Thanks! Its been about for over 12 months, just only got round to getting it active a few months back.

The problem is there are not as many Altea folk about as there are other models!

---

Regarding your other post... The pipe work on that link you sent are all for the 1.9.... Have i missed something?

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
There is no pipe available for BKD engine that I am aware off.
EGR is easy to remove.
Flap/heat exchanger assembly is a bugger to get to BKD since it is round the back of engine block.
Just make a plate the same as the gasket between the EGR ans the silver/chrome pipe that comes into it. Glynnd recommends a 4mm hole to avoid cel lighting up - or just block completely.
I'm not sure if BKD can have cel mapped out either.

loadswine

loadswine
The egr valve bolts can be a little fiddly, but no real problem. A decent 1/4" drive socket helps.
The whole cleaning procedure with removal and refitting takes about 1 to 2 hours depending on how thoroughly you clean things up.
As far as remaps are concerned, I have a remap, done by Celtic, and I did ask them about this and they did not want to map out the cel warning code. If you can get it on the remaps you guys have, then good for you, I'll be interested to see how you get on.
As far as the little blanking plate is concerned, I made an aluminium plate, but just a restrcictor in my case, originally with a 4mm hole, but now 6mm. Running itself is fine, and economy has improved a little as well.

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
Alas, no pictures or prices at that site for BKD engine. Simplest thing is to put blanking plate in, otherwise you loose the antishudder/shut off features I believe.
I don't think the EGR valve stem makes much of a restriction on turbo boosted airflow. could be wrong though.

I don't think the EGR valve stem makes much of a restriction on turbo boosted airflow. could be wrong though.

I think the main thing is dirt/crap and hot gasses going back into the inlet manifold is the issue. considering all the other air passing into the engine has already been cleaned via the filter, and cooled via the intercooler, you wonder what madness possessed the "greenies" to just ignore the fundamentals of the combustion engine and diesel mechanics.

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
yeah if its just the gases and oil vapour then a CCV catchtank and blanking plate is fine and I see no reason for the Allard type kit other than to improve the airflow by removing the egr restriction. Waste of £100 IMHO

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.