Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

EGR Valve Query

Discussion in 'Leon Mk1 (2000-2006)' started by SalSheikh, May 4, 2018.

1. SalSheikh

SalSheikh Under the Hood

Guys
    I have a 1.9TDI PD150 and I was going to do the EGR delete and have purchased the EGR delete, replacement inlet manifold (cleaned out), inlet gasket, EGR cooler delete pipe and EGR mapped out ECU.
    Last night I thought I'd see how bad my EGR is and to my surprise it was pretty clean (just a little oil in it) so thought do I need to do the EGR delete?
    So, my question to you guys is should I use the mapped out ECU and the blanks for the small exhaust pipe or will I need to fit the EGR cooler pipe too?
    Any advice is appreciated.

#1 SalSheikh, May 4, 2018
    Last edited: May 4, 2018
  2. masterfrodo

masterfrodo Active Member

You can manually stop the EGR from working, by removing and blocking one of the pipes going to it (can't remember which one).
    I have done this in the past. Fuel consumption is marginally better. It removed the 'hesitation' at about 1700rpm when I can feel the EGR kick in. But it does throw an EML

3. Ryan_98

Ryan_98 Leon Mk1 enthusiast

I would say put egr and cooler delete on even if it's not coked up yet it will at some point. And get it mapped out (turned off as much as possible through ECU think it's 5% you put it to) just not sure how you would get on in mot having the egr removed? But they are better with it off as using clean air all the time, and your not hauling the cooler and extra pipe around so less weight (cooler a little bit heavy) so will make a difference

4. myfirstseat

myfirstseat Active Member

I though the EGR was there for emissions purposes. Would removing it cause (more) smoke? I'm not sure how this would effect the new MOT guidelines?

5. masterfrodo

I think the new regs for the smoke are for newer cars than this

myfirstseat likes this.
  6. Ryan_98

Ryan_98 Leon Mk1 enthusiast

if anything removing it should cause less smoke as its getting more fresh air rather than half burnt air which means it actually has a cleaner combustion and thus less smoke. but yeah visual smoke is more really for new diesels so i wouldn't worry about it on yours

7. Andrewwright

Andrewwright Turbo lover

EGR delete is now a fail, mot stations do look for it and check it's present now. mapped out or not it has to be there now. Also any black smoke is a fail, police see you kicking it out...be worried
    Good news..ozone is now fixed yay mankind!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

8. masterfrodo

Smoke issues on the MOT are for newer cars, not our age cars