EGR Valve

aceman

May 6, 2002
West Yorkshire
Visit site
My engine check light came on this week so had it checked out yesterday and the EGR valve has packed in so a new one is on order at the moment.

First thing that has gone wrong with the car in two years of motoring so I can't complain, funny how it happened just a few days after it's 2nd service but I am sure it is just a coincidence.

Ted Johnsons are efficient as usual though so no complaints.:clap:

Jez13

Did this show up as "Emissions Workshop!" on the computer, if so mine just went after 2 years as well!

Jez13

On the DSG computer it came up as Emissions Workshop. Dealer described it as a manifold flap problem so it's probably the same thing. Wonder if it's a common problem?

Unlike you my dealer took a week to get round to doing the diagnostic (they reckoned 4 hours work!) and the part is on order for tomorrow... not going to hold my breath!

neosir10

Emissions Workshop on Seat Leon 2TDi DSG

HELP HELP HELP!!!!:(

Just drove my car home tonight and I stopped at a petrol station. When I started the car back up it came up with Emissions Workshop and the engine warning light came on...and stayed on:cry:

I'm not sure what this is! I've been getting problems with the car after a month and after reading on these forums I thought it might be the MAF sensor. I bought dielectric grease but havent managed to get round to doing it yet. Now this warning message comes up and I'm :censored: my pants!!!! The car is a Seat Leon 06, DSG 2.0TDi.

Please,does anyone have any ideas what this problem might be. The problem I had before this warning came up was at low revs, I could feel the car kind of struggling to accelerate,unless I really put my foot down, otherwise it would kinda stutter along. I had the engine oil changed and the mechanic put a little too much oil in but I thought the excess would just get burnt out. I dont think its coz of that as the problem still remained.

Apologies for the long message! I could type forever! Please help.

Thank you all!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike5

I had the inlet flap valve motor fail on my last Altea. The motor shorted out and took the cooling fan fuse out. Strange item to connest it to. Anyway it was replaced under warranty with less than a week to run. Was told by the dealer thet it was a £508 job, ouch.

Someone on this site said it was a known issue with this engine but normally lasts untill after the warranty expired. Several other manufacturers also suffer this issue, i.e certain BMW's. Apparently it was considerably cheaper in main land europe. Ripe off UK again.

With this issue in mind when my new car gets toward the end of its 3 year warranty I will pay for an extended one.

dubstar_71

I had the inlet flap valve motor fail on my last Altea. The motor shorted out and took the cooling fan fuse out. Strange item to connest it to. Anyway it was replaced under warranty with less than a week to run. Was told by the dealer thet it was a £508 job, ouch.

Someone on this site said it was a known issue with this engine but normally lasts untill after the warranty expired. Several other manufacturers also suffer this issue, i.e certain BMW's. Apparently it was considerably cheaper in main land europe. Ripe off UK again.

With this issue in mind when my new car gets toward the end of its 3 year warranty I will pay for an extended one.

the inlet manifold flap motor is less than £200, and will take approx 30mins to replace, it's only three torx bolts and one connector to remove....

:)

Martin_DSG

Apr 26, 2009
Stevenage
Apologies for bringing this old thread to life.

But can i just get some clarification.

'emissions workshop' message is on.

I have warranty on my car, what will need replacing?

MWG

Oct 6, 2008
Hertfordshire
The check engine light could be related to a number of things.

If it is a faulty intake manifold flap then that will need to be replaced. Had mine done by the dealers under warranty whilst i waited, took about 1.5 hours to do

this is a known issue with most VAG TDIs especially the BKD engine. it is due to the breather pipe spewing oil into the intercooler pipework. the oil then gets sucked into the inlet manifold and clogs up the Inlet manifold flap and its electrics.

I fitted an Oil Catch Can which definitely stops a load of oil and crap from entering the inlet and intercooler.

more on it over here: http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=227491

nutzu

Nov 5, 2009
ROMANIA , GL
just cancel the egr and you will have no problems . i did that and now the intake is clean and the engine runs better

Wizardtm

egr not possible to cancel on 2.0 TDI

It IS possible BUT the ECU has to be reprogrammed to disable the error light ( and other consequences of the error within the ECU ).

Mine will be closed in combination of a remap.

Sep 27, 2007
I had fault read saying inlet manifold flap sensor, so fitted new diaphragm and then new sensor, now my stutter is worse and present now staright from cold, before it was when warming up. what nest with these diesels???. so has the egr cured your issues?

drummer.gavin

Feb 11, 2009
Dublin
I had fault read saying inlet manifold flap sensor, so fitted new diaphragm and then new sensor, now my stutter is worse and present now staright from cold, before it was when warming up. what nest with these diesels???. so has the egr cured your issues?

Bring your car to a professional mapper, see if they can do an EGR Delete and also blank off the Swirl Flaps using blanking plates thus taking them out of the equation altogether.
If your Swirl Flaps seize up altogether they can be ingested into a cylinder possibly causing piston, valve, liner and turbo damage, this happened to me and I was lucky that there was only injector damage as the flaps in most VAG engines are made of plastic but it's been a serious issue with BMW's as they are made of metal.....my sister in a 320D was not as lucky as me, her engine **** itself from the inside out.