Electric Door Mirrors

Bunter

Sep 7, 2003
Nr Oxford
www.tvrccoxford.co.uk
Hi all

I have just bought a Cupra R - must have been about the last new Cupra R to be had, prior to the introduction of the revised model.

Anyhow, I have a problem with the folding electric door mirrors. I've read through the forum, but nothing seems to have solved my problem.

Basically, after I picked it up yesterday, I folded in the mirrors. Now they won't fold out again. I had to fold them out manually (I know you're not supposed to, but a bit tricky parking without them). They will fold back in again (with associated loud clunking noises), but still won't fold back out again.

Any ideas - before I ring my local Seat dealer and get them to look at it?

Thanks for your help.

Dillinja

Throbbing Member
May 16, 2003
Beds
Visit site
I have this problem every now and again.

I only use the foldy mirrors if I really have to. If they do get stuck I just twiddle the knob (pulling it in and out sometimes helps) eventually they pop out again..........

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Bunter

Sep 7, 2003
Nr Oxford
www.tvrccoxford.co.uk
Thanks for the reply.

I've twiddled the knob til I'm blue in the face! Nothing seems to work, although strangely the mirrors will fold back OK, but not out again.

I've booked the car in at my local dealer for a look-see under warranty. Will also get them to sort out the tailgate so I don't have to slam it, see if they can recalibrate the speedo as it reads 5mph over my actual speed (I've got GPS), and see what the funny ticking noise is that's coming from under the bonnet! I can't say I've got anything to compare the sound of the engine with, so I don't know what it's supposed to sound like, but when I open the bonnet it sounds like a diesel. My husband reckons there's an exhaust leak as well, so I'm thinking manifold?

Cheers

Bunter

Sep 7, 2003
Nr Oxford
www.tvrccoxford.co.uk
Vern

Thanks, but I already looked through all the threads and FAQ before posting my message. I've tried everything suggested, and even read the manual (!), but nothing seems to make them want to work. Thing is, this is a brand new car, and I folded the mirrors in when I brought it home from the dealer, then tried to open them out again when I next got in the car. They seemed to try to move back out, got half way there, then folded back in again - so they have never opened out properly. Unless there is something I am missing, or done wrong, which is entirely possible, then I am guessing there must be a fault (genius or what??!!).

Cheers

vern

I Miss Her Below!
Jun 17, 2003
N.Yorks.
seatcupra.net
It deffo sounds like the mirror switch to me,the contacts are faulty,or wiring connections,also because u moved them manually they will need re aligning, thats the clunking your hearing,an easy job if they have the part/s.
Tailgate requires latch/lock adjusting 5 min job
Speedo always read over thats a saftey feature, believe it or not,as seat or any other manufactuers dont want sueing/comeback in a speeding dispute,thats why police allow 10% +2mph for speedo error etc,u can access your true speed in kph through the climate control and other features as well,dont worry over speedo they are all like it (to coin a phrase)
The noise is this with the engine running? prob a daft question,i ask because, do u know that the coolant pump runs on for 10 mins after igntion swich on even if the engine is not started(buzzing sound)and runs with keys out this passes water through the turbo.
any further probs do a search or ask its no prob,theres more knowledge on this site than any seat workshop
Also welcome to the site

regards vern

vern

I Miss Her Below!
Jun 17, 2003
N.Yorks.
seatcupra.net
bunter here are the hidden features of the climate control have a play u cant break anythingclimate features
vehicle speed in KPH is parameter 17, engine coolant temp parameter 51 on so on just follow the instructions
;)

vern

Bunter

Sep 7, 2003
Nr Oxford
www.tvrccoxford.co.uk
Blimey Vern!

So much information! I'll have a look while I'm more awake - 140 mile round trip a day on top of working 8 hours takes it out of you.

I know most speedos reading over the actual speed (our other car reads an almost constant 3 mph over), but thought the 5 I'm getting was a bit excessive. I'm not too worried, but as the car's going in anyway........

Yes, the engine is running when it makes the noise. Like I said, it may be a case of 'They all do that sir (or madam in my case)', as I don't know what it's supposed to sound like. The car seems to drive fine and dandy, but as I'm running it in, I haven't tested it in anger yet, so to speak.

Thanks for all your help - seems I have a lot to learn!

vern

I Miss Her Below!
Jun 17, 2003
N.Yorks.
seatcupra.net
No worries,dont worry over speedo you wont get no joy trust me.
like u say it's either the exhaust or the tappet/s,had that prob on my golf 1.8t,but only from cold, tappet that is,turned out to be incorrect oil viscosity/grade:mad:.
what colour did u get?
U do right to take it to dealers to sort,keep us posted on here of your progress/and what u think of your dealer/ service u receive it helps us all,sorry could not be of more help with the noise,prob could if i heard it;)
If u have any rattles do a search on here all known ones have been solved/cured,enjoy the car u really will,it just takes time to solve the somtimes tiresome teething probs,once done u wont look back,i've owned more expensive cars but none which put such a smile on my face!!,bored u enough now

vern
regards

big ALI H

Cavey
Jun 27, 2003
Cas-Vegas, West Yorkshire
Visit site
Bunter, you got the mirrors sorted mate? I (as Vern mentioned) have had problems with mine. Turned out that the nearside mirror motor was bu66ered and needed replacing. The dealer originally thought it maybe the switch but they tested it and worked ok. They replaced the motor and everything is fine now:cheers:

Stubill

Swine Bird !
Aug 13, 2002
The New Forest
Visit site
and see what the funny ticking noise is that's coming from under the bonnet! I can't say I've got anything to compare the sound of the engine with, so I don't know what it's supposed to sound like, but when I open the bonnet it sounds like a diesel

There is a emission re-circulation valve which makes quite a loud ticking noise under your bonnet. If you park up and open the bonnet with the engine running, the ticking will start after a short while on idle. If you give the throttle a quick blat the ticking will stop, then start again after a while back on idle.

The valve is located on the driver side of the engine bay next to the wing. So if this seems to be the noise you are hearing there is nothing to worry about, it's part of the emmision / environmental control system - just a bit louder than you would expect :D

Cheers

vern

I Miss Her Below!
Jun 17, 2003
N.Yorks.
seatcupra.net
Cheers boys,told u bunter more knowledge on here than u can shake a stick @ on here,keep us posted on your findings, any other probs post em on here, if you've got it, someones had it,if that makes sense!!;) :D

vern

Bunter

Sep 7, 2003
Nr Oxford
www.tvrccoxford.co.uk
Vern

Car is Ebony Black. Really didn't want 'In Your Face Yellow' (one of the reasons I wanted a Cupra R is that it is understated), and the red is a bit Pillar Box-y. Didn't see a grey one, but maybe would have preferred it to black. Didn't have a choice, as it happens.

I bought the car from Letchworth Autoway Centre. Nice bloke and seemed to know what he was talking about. More importantly, he wasn't patronising in the least. Had previously looked at a couple at SMC Windsor, but wasn't overly impressed. Salesman had trouble unlocking the car and the undoing the bonnet. I looked at a used black Cupra R there. Registered Jan 03, done 15.5k miles. Tyres were bald in the middle, brakes juddered and turbo whistled. And - milk had been spilt in the boot. It was up for £15,995.

I'm taking the car to Humphris in Oxford. It's a new dealership and used to be (still is?) Nissan. Bit concerned about their knowledge, but the Service Manager I spoke to seemed to know his stuff and was helpful. I'm getting paranoid about noises - now I can hear wheel bearings and tappets! I'll keep you posted on progress.

Ali

Car's not booked in until 22nd September, so still not sorted. As the mirrors will fold back in OK, I'm thinking it's more likely to be the switch.

Stu

Thanks for the tip on the ticking - it sounds like that is exactly what it is.

Thanks guys - you are all really knowledgable and helpful.

Jo

vern

I Miss Her Below!
Jun 17, 2003
N.Yorks.
seatcupra.net
jo
wheel bearings can be a prob,the 225 version got modified ones just for the record, maybe these could be retro fitted? if this is the prob.mine makes a wheel bearing type drone in between speeds of approx 25-40 mph, but theres no play in em, checked them, i think thats why they were modified, well that and 225 bhp going through the front wheels!!
Does the tappetey sound go away when either warm or cold? or at all?
How many miles u done now?
vern

Bunter

Sep 7, 2003
Nr Oxford
www.tvrccoxford.co.uk
Vern

You ever off this forum? You seem as bad as my husband on Pistonheads :D (see - I'm even trying emoticons now, never could get the hang of them, like txt spk).

Wheel bearing type noise seems to come from nearside, at low speeds like you said.

Not sure about tappet type noise, certainly there when hot. I think I need to listen to another Cupra R. Anyone out there near me (Oxford way)?

Done all of 365 miles now since Saturday. Won't take long before it's run in. Getting fed up with driving like my Mum. Might as well be driving a Moggie Minor. Still, I'll be driving Trevor for a day while the Cupra R is in the garage. Be able to get my speed fix in again. Drove it all last week to work and back. Fun, but a bit tiring over that distance - shakes your fillings loose and makes you deaf!

:cheers: (look - another one!)

Jo

vern

I Miss Her Below!
Jun 17, 2003
N.Yorks.
seatcupra.net
well done jo
i'm on here every now and then til my missis, starts moaning:D
The tyres are quite noisey,assuming u have the pirelli p zero's,which are standard, some guys have goodyear eagle gsd 3's,do a search on tyres if u want the info.
A TVR eeehhh?,u should be used to going to the garage for repairs then;) :D, quick tip get your lcr(leon cupra r)to 1500 miles, then get it tuned apr,revo,jabba this can take u anywhere fron the 210 bhp(they are usually 220 ish any way)270bhp or 350 bhp ihi conversion, do a search you'll see what i mean, then u can keep up with trevor (maybe?) and have a reliable car,without holidaying costa del blackpool:) and keep your fillings bargain!!
:cheers: (and a another one)
vern

vern

I Miss Her Below!
Jun 17, 2003
N.Yorks.
seatcupra.net
JO
this is a platinium lcr 210,it's zboyd's( boss type thing on here):D ,i,m sure he wont mind me nicking his pic,it's the same as mine,but shinier as is coverd in swissol products,mine makes do with maguires for now which i can highley reccomend;)
any cleaning issues ask the wax wizard who posts on here
any ice issues ask pete @ icecavern posts on here(check his website)
any help on getting pictures on etc post a help notice in gen off topic chat etc( although i can reccomend cordobabrendy for the techie stuff)he wont mind!! he dumbs it down to my level
p.s
watch out for sheerin(you will know;) ?
vern
zboydsR8.jpg

Bunter

Sep 7, 2003
Nr Oxford
www.tvrccoxford.co.uk
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Vern

You are a veritable font of knowledge, and a jolly helpful chap (does 'the missus' agree?).

I can't say I'm one for cleaning my cars, modding them (never seen the sense in that - just buy the car you want surely, not morph what you've got into what you want), and definately don't want a mega-watt-thumping-mobile-disco in my car. I'm far too old for all of that.

Pleased to say I've never been to Blackpool. Contrary to popular myth, the Tiv is perfectly reliable (our 2nd). Got a Rover V8 engine in it, albeit slightly tweaked as it is an ex-sprint car. Don't think the LCR (always think of Least Cost Routing with that) could ever out-run it, even modded. The Tiv has too much low down grunt and acceleration for that. Top speed could be close though, although wouldn't want to test that theory unless on a track.

Thanks for the pic. Grey looks nice, but I think I like my black one.

Must go do something girly now - like the ironing!

Jo

vern

I Miss Her Below!
Jun 17, 2003
N.Yorks.
seatcupra.net
Originally posted by Bunter
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Vern

You are a veritable font of knowledge, and a jolly helpful chap (does 'the missus' agree?).
Jo
probably not,

........ right luv wheres all the ironing,leave the washing up, put your feet up,nnnahhh that would be telling porkies,if i did offer she'd think what was i after somthing like a leather re-trim(actually true)
enjoy the ironing jo,dont forget the comfort vapourese,eeerrrhhhmmm!! wheres my 1000 watt drill?

gonna have beer:drink: :drink:

vern

Bunter

Sep 7, 2003
Nr Oxford
www.tvrccoxford.co.uk
Update

Well, not too impressed at present.

Had to wait two weeks before I could get it booked in initially. They had it all day, and could find nothing wrong with it apart from the mirrors. Obviously they didn't have the parts to fix it, so is now booked in again for 13 October - 1st available day for them. Tailgate still needs to be slammed about four times before it shuts. Oh, and they didn't put the service/handbooks back in the car, so had to go and get it - another unwanted trip.

I phoned them about 4.30pm to check it would be ready to collect, which they said it would be, then they phoned my husband to ask if they could keep it overnight to look at the electrics on the mirrors. He was sat in the showroom at the time waiting to collect the car.

Doesn't inspire huge confidence..........

On a happier note, car is well run in now (almost 2k miles) and happily blatting up the M40 every day to work. Hoping that the fuel consumption will improve soon.