Electrical Issues

Auvache

Feb 16, 2016
Hi, I have a SEAT Ibiza FR 2.0 and I have been having multiple electrical issues over the past few months and I am quite concerned. Please help!

- Electrical issues
Steering wheel locks up while driving and the light is displayed on dashboard.
Every dashboard light flashes up, my window wipers turn on, radio restarts itself and my car makes a strange noise like a frequency wave. Sometimes I just get the lights flash up but don't notice anything else.

The only ways I can unlock the steering wheel is by either slowing right down to almost a stop and then turning the wheel, or by restarting the engine while the car is moving. I have noticed that while not moving at traffic lights, if I wiggle my gear stick I get lights flash up on my dashboard I don't know if this is related? I also find that it only locks up when I put my foot down in first gear to pull away quickly or as I shift into second gear and put my foot down. I don't have any issues with performance though.

I have replaced my alternator as I suspected this was the problem, but still not resolved. I replaced my starter motor and car battery around 6 months ago after my engine wouldn't start, and I feel like this has only happened since then.

Please can someone offer advise?

SEAT Rule

Nov 19, 2019
Hi - we've decided to close this forum, as people are better off posting under the thread for their specific car - is this an Ibiza MK5? If you let me know I can move the thread for you.

ta

Hi Syphon,

I believe the person who started this thread is called Brad, the car he owns I think is a SEAT Ibiza FR 2.0 diesel 2011 MK5 = 2008 to 2017
Or at least he did according to his very first post when Brad joined this Forum back in 2016

Hope this helps
Si

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
Hi Syphon,

I believe the person who started this thread is called Brad, the car he owns I think is a SEAT Ibiza FR 2.0 diesel 2011 MK5 = 2008 to 2017
Or at least he did according to his very first post when Brad joined this Forum back in 2016

Hope this helps
Si

Thanks - I've moved this post into the Ibiza forum already so my previous post isn't required any more (so I've deleted it so it doesn't confuse!) :)

SEAT Rule

Nov 19, 2019
Hi, I have a SEAT Ibiza FR 2.0 and I have been having multiple electrical issues over the past few months and I am quite concerned. Please help!

- Electrical issues
Steering wheel locks up while driving and the light is displayed on dashboard.
Every dashboard light flashes up, my window wipers turn on, radio restarts itself and my car makes a strange noise like a frequency wave. Sometimes I just get the lights flash up but don't notice anything else.

The only ways I can unlock the steering wheel is by either slowing right down to almost a stop and then turning the wheel, or by restarting the engine while the car is moving. I have noticed that while not moving at traffic lights, if I wiggle my gear stick I get lights flash up on my dashboard I don't know if this is related? I also find that it only locks up when I put my foot down in first gear to pull away quickly or as I shift into second gear and put my foot down. I don't have any issues with performance though.

I have replaced my alternator as I suspected this was the problem, but still not resolved. I replaced my starter motor and car battery around 6 months ago after my engine wouldn't start, and I feel like this has only happened since then.

Please can someone offer advise?

Hello Brad,

in my opinion if you have serious faults with steering or brakes that is potentially dangerous to yourself or other road users,
I'd definitely get your SEAT booked in with your local trusted garage ASAP.
Especially as you've mentioned your steering locks up.

Si