Electrical problems?

roger7248

Sep 28, 2013
Bicester, Oxon
A few weeks ago I mentioned a speaker problem LINKY that seems to have gone away.

Well not so sure.
Yesterday the door mirrors wouldn't open out. About 3 minutes of fiddling with the switch, ignition etc they suddenly worked. Not sure which of my "fiddles" did it.

Today the info screen didn't come on, even though the touch was working ie I could change a radio station! Left the car, got back in about 2 hours later, and it booted up perfectly.

Not planning on a trip to the dealer just yet, but if something else happens I may well have to, in case something important fails to work.

Would be interested to hear if anybody has experienced anything similar.

EyesOnly

Hi Roger,

I haven't experienced the issue with the Mirrors but my front passenger door speaker does sound a little out of sorts at times.

I also regularly experience issues where my Touch Screen just starts beeping and acting as though it has been touched even though my hand is no where near it. It often does it first thing in the morning when it has not been used for hours and will either just start randomly changing the radio station if it is on that screen or changing sat nav settings if it is on that screen. On other occasions the screen has become completely unresponsive and won't accept any input no matter where I press.

My car is going into the dealer tomorrow for a warranty issue so I will mention it to them then and ask if it is a software / firmware issue that just needs updating or something more severe.....

I'll let you know what they say! ! !

Andy

Nov 12, 2013
Ayrshire, Scotland
The wing mirrors not budging was an issue I had on the golf, kind of still there but to a lesser extent. The garage found nothing wrong with the electrical system and of course it never happened once when they had it.

I dont know what a modern day car goes through on start-up these days but jumping into the car and turning the mirror unfold door knob straight after starting does it no favours. Now I get in and start it up, put on my seat belt and the likes, wee bit of lippy, then ask the mirrors to unfold. Its a small niggle if your in a hurry to shoot off and need to reverse out of narrow drive/gate.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Essex
If I use the manual control to fold the mirrors they never seem to unfold again unless im moving. I've used it in tight squeezes before and they fold then unfold fine but parked up while I'm washing it I have to start it and move to get them to unfold.

It might be that fold mirrors when parked setting.

Last edited:

roger7248

Sep 28, 2013
Bicester, Oxon
Dean, I have to manually close the mirrors to get into our garage, then manually open them after I reverse out, which is when it happened. So in theory the car should have gone through its "set-up" procedure by then.

I'll be pleased to hear what your dealer says EO.

I know electrics are a bit of a mystery to your average garage. If their kit says its OK, they generally don't offer much assistance especially if its a random occurrence, and does not happen when they have the car.

That's why unless somebody can come up with anything, I reckon I'll just keep a list going until it gets to the point where its more than random. I've got nothing else to see the dealer with, so it will be a bit of a pain to get the car to them, for them to say "we can't find anything, we can't help".

EyesOnly

Roger, I've collected my car from the Dealer and surprise surprise they hadn't received or experienced any other reports of Touchscreen issues from anyone else. So I will keep a log of any future occurrences and take it from there.......

EyesOnly

One point I forgot to mention in my earlier post is that last week my Fuel Tank Flap stopped locking when I activated the central locking. I mentioned this to the Dealer and it is now working, I spoke to one of the Technicians when I collected the vehicle and he stated that the motor that locks the Flap had stopped activating, but as he was not the one who worked on it he didn't know what had been done to fix it sorry!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members