Electronic Parking Brake

Diamond123

Feb 19, 2016
Has anyone came across an issue where the E-Brake is turning off while stationary?

I've came back to my Leon 1.4TSI FR a few times, pressed clutch in to start car, the minute i pull the clutch up the E Brake comes off and the car starts to roll backwards... Usually i would start the car, then manually pull the brake button to take it off.

It doesn't happen every time, im wondering is it something im doing wrong when stopping the car?

loyalbear1872

May 2, 2018
Yes... my 67 plate excellence has done it a few times which also caused me to roll forward and hit a wall. Mine usually done it after the accelerator had been tapped. Whilst at the dealership for repair the manager advised me to keep the parking brake in auto. This was my first car with an e brake. BTW keeping it in auto is fab, just putting your foot on the brake in traffic causes the car to hold but does not fully apply the e brake.

Diamond123

Feb 19, 2016
Yes... my 67 plate excellence has done it a few times which also caused me to roll forward and hit a wall. Mine usually done it after the accelerator had been tapped. Whilst at the dealership for repair the manager advised me to keep the parking brake in auto. This was my first car with an e brake. BTW keeping it in auto is fab, just putting your foot on the brake in traffic causes the car to hold but does not fully apply the e brake.

To be honest i have a habbit of turning the car off while i have my foot on the brake.
But you can hear the car engage the parking brake when its off. Maybe this is it?

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
This happened to me when I had an Ateca as a courtesy car. First time using the electronic handbrake. Pressed the clutch in, started the car let the clutch off. Checking things in the car, and got the sensation that I was moving backwards..... down a slope straight towards the glass fronted showroom! Slammed the foot brake on about 3 foot from the door!

Didn't like the electronic handbrake at all. In stop-start traffic, it kept locking on and wouldn't release easily, and it got progressively worse until I worried that it was never going to release.

Oddmanout

May 19, 2019
I had this system on my golf before I got the Leon. Loved the electric parking break, always kept it on auto and just turning the engine off automatically engaged it. As someone said above keep it in auto rather than doing it all manually. The hold in traffic is awesome too and I miss having the e-brake.

Copra68

Jun 10, 2013
If your using the parking brake by constantly pushing an pulling the button your using it incorrectly and are leaving yourself open to making a mistake. Leave it in auto and let it do the work for you, it doesn't take long to get used to it.

daniel_ley

Mar 3, 2018
Dudley
If your using the parking brake by constantly pushing an pulling the button your using it incorrectly and are leaving yourself open to making a mistake. Leave it in auto and let it do the work for you, it doesn't take long to get used to it.
Yup! I never touch it and it works perfectly. Don't understand people who don't like it, it's great.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
I leave it in auto, but make a point of pulling up the switch anyway when I park - after driving my son's Leon which has a manual hand brake and a couple of near misses on getting out without settling the hand brake.

Reactions: Copra68

Betts-4

Jul 11, 2019

I have this in my FR and maybe I’m doing it wrong but I pull it up to park and have to push down to go.Can I change it to be auto ?
I use the auto stop feature when in traffic and stop it holds the car and goes when I accelerate.
I don’t use the electric parking break unless I’m parking or pulling off from parking but as I said I push or pull it at these points ?

Jul 12, 2019
Pretty sure auto hold only holds the car on the ABS and after a while it applies the actual E brake. I think it’s a marmite system - love it or hate it. Personally autohold is great but can appear a bit jerky with DSG box IME

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
I have this in my FR and maybe I’m doing it wrong but I pull it up to park and have to push down to go.Can I change it to be auto ?
I use the auto stop feature when in traffic and stop it holds the car and goes when I accelerate.
I don’t use the electric parking break unless I’m parking or pulling off from parking but as I said I push or pull it at these points ?

Next to the E brake switch is the auto button, with this pressed the green P illuminates for auto hold then turns red for parking - this is on facelift mk3.

If you open a door or switch off the engine in auto hold then it applies the E brake for you.

davidstarkey11

Jun 7, 2015
Newcastle upon Tyne
I leave mine in auto. It comes off when the clutch bites and goes on when I stop the car and pull the key out. I always leave my car in gear and the wheels turned slightly towards the kerb anyway just in case the parking brake fails.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
I drove a few different cars with ebrake fitted, different cars with button in various places or auto function, just a pain, also when rear brakes are needed not all garages have the auto wind back capability so big dealer bill coming, and of course no handbrake toy in the snow,mud etc. Another thing I could live without.

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
I always leave it in auto and only knock the auto off when I get home. As the drive slopes down hill its a bugger trying to reverse carefully up to my wife's car and when hitting the brake navigating the reverse auto would keep applying and making it awkward to manoeuvre closely. I then initiate it again when pulling out of the drive in the morning.

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
My July 2018 Leon FR Technology has two distinct systems --Autohold & Electronic Handbrake.
Autohold works via the ABS pump and hence operates hydraulically on all 4 wheels. It does NOT apply the brakes but retains the pressure present when the car comes to a stop & the driver removes his foofrom the brake pedal. After coming to a stop I always increase the pressure on the pedal before removing my foot.
The EHB operates only on the rear brakes by electric motors driving screws that push the brake pads against the discs. Only operates after ignition is turned off.
I just leave both in Auto and the systems work perfectly.

daniel_ley

Mar 3, 2018
Dudley
My July 2018 Leon FR Technology has two distinct systems --Autohold & Electronic Handbrake.
Autohold works via the ABS pump and hence operates hydraulically on all 4 wheels. It does NOT apply the brakes but retains the pressure present when the car comes to a stop & the driver removes his foofrom the brake pedal. After coming to a stop I always increase the pressure on the pedal before removing my foot.
The EHB operates only on the rear brakes by electric motors driving screws that push the brake pads against the discs. Only operates after ignition is turned off.
I just leave both in Auto and the systems work perfectly.

Yes any of us with the electronic parking brake have both these features, it would be safe to say they normally come hand in hand.

zedlor

Aug 24, 2017
Warrington
I always leave it in auto and only knock the auto off when I get home. As the drive slopes down hill its a bugger trying to reverse carefully up to my wife's car and when hitting the brake navigating the reverse auto would keep applying and making it awkward to manoeuvre closely. I then initiate it again when pulling out of the drive in the morning.
Yeah that's what annoys me too, it keeps auto handbraking when I'm trying to reverse...so I just leave it disabled all the time now.

Maybe I'm just too scared of reversing into things, haha.