ELM 327 bluetooth not working; tested good on other vehicles; any known issues with 1P models?

Co2

May 2, 2007
Hi!

Quick question.

I've bought not one, but two different dongles. Proper 1.4 and 1.5 versions.

Either with ignition on or engine working they simply don't even turn on the red power light. Needless to say Torque or any other similar app doesn't even acknowledge the dongle exists. Funny though is the fact that the phone detects it and is able to pair the device.

Thought the first dongle was defective, so got another one. Same behavior.

On other vehicles they work without any issues.

My car has the onboard OEM handsfree bluetooth. I've taken care to unpair the phone from it. Still no change in behavior.

I've tried googling and searching the forums but I've been unable to find any information about similar issues.

Has anyone got any idea what's going on? Some incompatibility with the handsfree bluetooth? Is the OBD port on the 1P layout incompatible with these dongles? From what I've read they should work fine with these cars...

What gives? Has anyone got a clue?

I'm tempted about getting a WIFI version. But as it goes I'm not so keen on throwing out some more money on another useless dongle since a proper one still costs a decent amount.

Needless to say the port is a-ok and VCDS works just fine.

Jester

Aug 17, 2018
I had a similar problem with a known good ELM327 adapter on my 1P, bluetooth from phone to dongle was fine but Torque wouldn't connect to the ECU. As you say VCDS works, as does a multi-gauge I have that plugs into the OBD port.
I never found out what the problem was but the only thing that occurred to me was that having a remap on the car was somehow causing an issue with Torque. Very odd.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members