Emails for thread reply notifications - slight problem

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Hi guys

the forum sends me emails every time I get a reply to a subscribed thread.
This is what I want, no problems there.

Issues I do have are random characters like this:

Â

Appear in a lot of the message bodies, although not actually in the replies on the forums themselves.

Anything i can do to fix this at my end? Or is this a bug with the new forum version?
Cheers

BlackFR

Jan 22, 2002
Not too far away
I never see that using thunderbird as a mail client. I do get some mails from another forum to a hotmail account that has the exact same characters as you have put above though.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
all of the above is IE and hotmail.
EDIT:
Have used firefox and the issue doesnt seem to be present, but most of the time i use IE (as I am sure a good selection of people still do too)

Not on the threads on either software tho, just in the text body in the actual email

Last edited:

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
it seems to be when values are in the text.

£780 £684 £10204 £10304

tend to get the chars before the txt.

Also, at the top of the email i get the one char above. Heres a copy/paste example:

ok update time.

after doing some searches on the net, it seems you can get the following prices deals from
highstreet names in store or via website.
for those advertising 9.99 for carry case, if you would like a case this is a pretty good deal
as they seem to cost a fair bit more elsewhere (around £40?)

dixons           £249.00   (plus tomtom case for 9.99 see offers tab on web page)
currys            £249.00   (plus tomtom case for 9.99 see offers tab on web page)
the link          £249.98   (web exclusive)
argos:           £249.99
woolworths   £249.99
halfords        £249.99    (web exclusive)
pc world        £259.00   (includes tomtom case)

ebay.
ignoring dodgy lookiong profiles and auctions, the cheapest ive found on there with a 'good
seller' is:  £229 + £10 packing. total £239).
(same link as badlydrawnbanan found)

That was posted by andycupra in the tomtom thread in GC forum.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
ok - extending on from this problem now - I am not getting emails from every reply.... I get some emails, go to thread and reply. Look back in the evening and there have been 5+ replies to the thread and I have not had any emails telling me.

Was working fine, just the last week really.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
i keep missing replies in threads that get a lot of response - 10 people post replies and I miss the first ones, so i tend to miss the info.
I am learning to reread the threads from last post i made each time...

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
i've signed up to get all teh emails now (I used to have none) but I don't see this problem

sounds more local to me (does it do it it you view the email on a webmail?)

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Right.
Weird characters only appear when figures or values appear ie the £ appears differently - some random chars as above.

All my emails are into hotmail account.

As for not getting all of the email replies - can't be locally surely - if I don't get the email I don't get it! Nothing I can do.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.