Emission control system light on, not flashing

Alessi

Nov 4, 2016
Germany
Hello All!

This light appeared randomly after about 200 Kms on my used Seat Ibiza 2006 1.2, petrol (she has done 80,000 Km in total) and according to the manual, I should: "Reduce speed and drive carefully to the nearest qualified workshop to have the engine checked". Instead, I went home and had a beer. The next day did the same thing and now it has been weeks since. While I do not want to neglect my car, I don't want to fuss over something that isn't important either. It has not ever flashed but is now always on when I drive. I don't really understand the description below. What are the effects of bad quality exhaust (apart from the possible environmental damage)?

The full description in the manual is:

Emission control system* (yellow engine icon)
This warning lamp monitors the exhaust system.
Warning lamp (yellow engine icon) flashes:
When there is misfiring that can damage the catalytic converter. Reduce
speed and drive carefully to the nearest qualified workshop to have the
engine checked.

Warning lamp (yellow engine icon) is lit:
If a fault has developed during driving which has reduced the quality of the
exhaust gas (e. g. lambda probe fault). Reduce speed and drive carefully to
the nearest qualified workshop to have the engine checked.

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
Hello All!

. Instead, I went home and had a beer. The next day did the same thing and now it has been weeks since. While I do not want to neglect my car,

looks like you already did:shrug: ignoring the problem will only get worse/more expensive to fix, get the codes read and then get it fixed before it lets you down/costs a lot of money--then you really WILL need a beer.;)

Alessi

Nov 4, 2016
Germany
looks like you already did:shrug: ignoring the problem will only get worse/more expensive to fix, get the codes read and then get it fixed before it lets you down/costs a lot of money--then you really WILL need a beer.;)

Hi cheshire cat,

Thanks for your input. Upon closer inspection, this light appears to be related to the cat converter which would indeed cost money to fix. To start with I have emailed the dealer that sold it to me as anything emissions related should be checked during the TUV inspection (the equivalent of an MOT, i think) and I was sold the car with a new TUV which is valid until october 2018. This essentially means that only about 8 weeks ago, this particular item was given the green light. Strange that the light would come on so soon after passing the national road worthy test which includes emissions testing.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Things fail at any time, unfortunately this time was not long after the test has been done, the costly damage may have already been done by ignoring the advice\instructions in the handbook, you may have given the seller a way out by delaying contact with them.

Alessi

Nov 4, 2016
Germany
Well it is still weekend so I have not heard back from the dealer yet but I have a pretty good theory on what is going on here. I am sure the car is running rich as there is strong petrol smell and a wet patch under exhaust after idling in same spot for 10 minutes while parked. I noticed this a while back too and asked the dealer who said its fine and nothing to worry about. I had my doubts at the time. Now that the light is on (likely caused by the lambda probe) this is could be caused by the cat converter having issues with all of this unburned fuel being thrown at it. So, the if this is the case, then the root cause would be that the car is running rich which is in turn causing the sensor alarm. Would this all make sense?

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Faulty lambda sensors will affect the mixture, the wet spot under the exhaust? it won't be fuel unless you have a leak as excess fuel will passing through the engine will combust in the cat(causing damage) so not sure where it's coming from unless it wet were you are and it's water running off the body and puddling in the area under the car near the cat?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members