Emissions light

EKE Ibiza

Jul 10, 2009
Devon
www.art-graphy.co.uk
Currently over in France for a holiday, needed more petrol today (first time while over here). Put in the usual 95 unleaded. As soon as I pulled off the forecourt the car spluttered/coughed and the emissions light came on flashing. Quickly pulled over, turned the engine off. Then back on. No loss of power and sounded normal. Drove back to where I'm staying with the light permanently on, fuel consumption normal (52mpg). 1.4 FS petrol

France closes on a Sunday so can't go to a garage till tomorrow for a diagnostic.

Would dirty fuel make the light come? Or something simple as a blown fuse? Typically it's a full tank as well.

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
I am tdi on the Ibiza but my missus is petrol in her Bmw Mini. We have had the light on a couple of times last year which resulted in a £172 diag at BMW only to be told it was supermarket petrol. Sure enough we filled it with a premium brand and after a few miles the light went off and stayed that way for the rest of the year.

Last month she used Asda fuel and guess what the light came back on. Switch to BP and 100 miles later the light is off.

Dont worry at the mo but use a premium brand of fuel. ;)

VWscooby

Apr 20, 2008
Durham
I had the same problem with my 1.4 Sport after filling up at a station in the back of beyond. (Seriously, if there was a toothless man somewhere playing a banjo I wouldnt have been surprised!) and the emissions light came on 15 miles later with the car juddering and spluttering. I got to a major road and shoved some octane boost in and all was well. The 1.4 lump seems really sensitive on fuel quality.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.