emissions warning light error P261a

eande2

Sep 28, 2009
Would appreciate a bit of help here:

Have the emissions warning light on (on for 2 days, then off for 1 day, then back on).
Car is fr 170 CR and is 3 weeks out of warranty, 45k miles. Car seems to be driving normally.

I connected one of the cheaper gendan scanners and get the following error code: p261a
It's not listed in their paper manual, (and couldn't see it on rosstech), but google gives the following generic code:
Coolant Pump B Control Circuit/Open

Any of you come across this?

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
I'm gonna guess that the electric coolant pump (the one that can run after the engine is switched off) has a fault.

As it says open circuit I would check the plug/s to it, maybe re-seat them and see what happens.

Or as said above see if the stealers will look at it on a good will thing from Seat.

eande2

Sep 28, 2009
Cheers for the replies.

Connections looked secure, so I'll have to call into a dealer.
Looking at some audi forums seems afew people have have needed to have this auxiliary water pump replaced on 170 engines. Be interesting to see what they say with it been just out of warranty.

eande2

Sep 28, 2009
Seat diagnostic confirmed fault code, and auxiliary water pump failure.

Auxiliary water pump was replaced.

They did initially quote approx £400 to supply and fit.
Seat UK paid cost of water pump, labour and initial diagnostics as goodwill gesture as car was only 3 weeks out of warranty with full seat service history.

I've just had the turbo actuator fail and there was no help from seat this time.
(perhaps not unsurprising as now nearly two years out of warranty, but was still disappointed something else failed).

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.