Engine Bay - Throttle body thingy...

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
peeps

There is one area of my engine bay that really p*sses me off when it comes to cleaning my car - the throttle body..... (long bar bit that goes horizontal across the engine at the front lol )

Mine has a kind-of pitted/rough finish to it, and I can never get it clean when oil gets on it.....

Whats best to do? I know some people have changed them for polished/chromed versions, but I just want to clean it up to make it look better than it does now.

What do others use?
Cheers

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
sand and polish? With it in situ? I dont fancy removing it......

What kinda grit sandpaper do u use, or would wet-n-dry be better as its less abrasive?

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
lol i meant to finish with - sorry i wasnt very explanatory there.....

Can u do it with it in place? Is it just sand it down then polish? What would you suggest polishing with?
Sorry - total n00b when it comes to things like this..

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
depends how rough it is

i usually buzz em down with a small air powered disc of 120 grit then get the the wet/dry paper from 300/600/900/1200 and then 1500/2000 and rouge/paste the rest up

i find the better the first stages are the better the finish so if you slack on an earlier one itll show more up on the next - can take forever though - be warned

try summat smaller first

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=547333

Last edited:

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
ok so what can i do to clean it?
People must clean theres, surely? I just find no matter what i try it still stays a naff colour and dirty marks on it..

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
The rough surface increases the surface area of the manifold and keeps it cooler. Or at least thats the theory behind the finish anyhow.

RobDon

Pro Detailer
"the throttle body..... (long bar bit that goes horizontal across the engine at the front lol )
" You mean the intake manifold?

Since having mine smoothed and polished I have noticed ZERO difference in power, intake temps, etc. etc.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
thats what i meant rob! sorry - the throttle body attaches to it so i just called it all the same name - but yeh, the intake manifold bit! lol

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise