Engine Cut Out Problem

PhilM

May 1, 2018
Hi Guys I am completely new to this forum so please be gentle and I also apologise if this topic has been covered before. I did do a quick search but couldn't find exact same symptoms.
I have a 2011, 170TDI and I have had it from new , I have done over 60k trouble free miles with this car until a few days ago when as approaching a roundabout the engine just completely died on me, the dash went completely blank and I had to freewheel with no power steering into the side of the road. After several attempts to restart with still absolutely no sign of life on dashboard and no engine turnover I sat for around 10 minutes before attempting to restart and to my surprise the dashboard this time came back to life and the car started first turn of the key. To try and keep this as short as possible it has now happened 3 times, once on idle with the engine under no load but seems to be more terminal this time as I had to get car transported to a local as it just wouldn't restart . The garage has done a full diagnostic on the car but no faults are showing , they are currently working there way through potential causes but was wondering if anyone has any suggestions that could fast track us to a probable cause . Regards Phil

ray

Jan 7, 2016
When you turn the key does the car try and start or is everything completely dead then it randomly comes back to life?

This happened on my golf years ago if it is the case, and my partners Ibiza.

It was the earth cable both times, one dodgy earth and everything just shuts down. There’s an earth on your battery so check that first, give it a good clean then this also connects onto the engine, just one bolt holding it on so follow it down, remove/clean-re attach. Probably a good idea to use some copper grease which will reduce the chance of it happening again.

Hope this helps, may be a totally unrelated problem and surprising if it wasn’t the first thing a garage checked but worth a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PhilM

May 1, 2018
When you turn the key does the car try and start or is everything completely dead then it randomly comes back to life?

This happened on my golf years ago if it is the case, and my partners Ibiza.

It was the earth cable both times, one dodgy earth and everything just shuts down. There’s an earth on your battery so check that first, give it a good clean then this also connects onto the engine, just one bolt holding it on so follow it down, remove/clean-re attach. Probably a good idea to use some copper grease which will reduce the chance of it happening again.

Hope this helps, may be a totally unrelated problem and surprising if it wasn’t the first thing a garage checked but worth a try.

Hi Ray, thanks for your response.
Everything is completely dead, like you say it,s as if the battery has been totally disconnected . I will look further into the earth wire and probably worth while just doing what you suggest as a process of elimination.... thanks again. Phil

ray

Jan 7, 2016
That may be a good sign then Phil, as it’s such a simple fix and free of course. Let us know the outcome.

Reactions: PhilM
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise