Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

Engine Cut Out

Discussion in 'Exeo & Exeo ST' started by CupraMk11975, Feb 18, 2019.

1. CupraMk11975

CupraMk11975 Active Member

In need of a bit of help

Saturday night my Exeo cut out, no power nothing, just came to a standstill. I had about 30 miles left in the tank, cutout within metres of the petrol station I was driving to.

I proceeded to put a fivers worth in the car, car all fine, just had the engine management light on.

Yesterday went out to fill the car up, once filled the engine management light disappeared.

This morning driving to work, cut out again. This time I waited 10 mins, tried starting again, all fine drove home. No engine management light this time.

Anyone have any thoughts what it could be?

2. S70DGE

S70DGE Active Member

is yours a Diesel model? when it cuts out does the engine shut off but you still have all youre ignition lighs on?

3. CupraMk11975

Yes it is a Diesel

Yes, it will try and start again, just won’t tick over

Thanks for the reply

4. S70DGE

S70DGE Active Member

I had the same issue with mine a 59 plate ST you could drive along the engine would cut out all ignition lights would come on leave it 5 mins then it would restart had it on a diagnostic and it found nothing so after a bit of investigating some audi a4 owners had had the same issue it turned out to be the fuel pump relay sticking which is located in the E-Box they are half the size of a normal relay two of them side by side one is for the fuel pump the other for the aux water pump iwasnt sure which is which so I changed them both they were about £20 for them both from SEAT since then ive had no issues surprisingly they have changed part number 3 or 4 times so that's usually a good sign of a problem

5. CupraMk11975

Interesting, I wil check it out

Appreciate the info

6. S70DGE

S70DGE Active Member

no problem when you take out the relay if the part number on it starts 7M0 or 7M3 then its got the old relays in I think the newer version ones start with 4F0

7. CupraMk11975

So, I haven’t changed the relays yet, but decided to give it a small run this morning.

The car was fine, then power dropped, but it didn’t cut out this time, it just wouldn’t rev over 2500.

Do you recall this happening to yours?

8. S70DGE

S70DGE Active Member

my revs didn't drop it just used to cut straight out you could just drive along and the engine would just shut off

regarding not revving above 2500rpm were you pulled up in neutral with the handbrake on?

CupraMk11975 likes this.
  9. CupraMk11975

Re revving, yes I was pulled up, but I think you are going to tell me that is normal.

It got worse yesterday so booked into Seat, I think it keeps going into idle mode, can’t drive, but it can tick over stationery. I’m not looking forward to the bill

10. S70DGE

S70DGE Active Member

yep youre right it wont rev over 2500 rpm if youre stationary in neutral its a safety feature that's supposed to be there so that's normal

11. Nollywood

Nollywood Active Member

Possibly crankshaft sensor.