Engine drops to idle and also gear change prob

smokinfox1474

Hi everyone,

I have two probs with my '98 90hp tdi Alhambra.

The first and most urgent problem is that today it became extemely difficult to change gear. The clutch works fine. The gear lever is very stiff in all directions, 1st and reverse are impossible to select. I had to drive home in 3rd, struggling to get 2nd to pull away. I assume it's a linkage prob but guidance would be welcome.

Second problem has only occured twice but I think it's a bit dangerous. Last week I went to overtake a much slower car and on putting my foot down hard the revs suddenly dropped to idle and the throttle had no effect, like a snapped throttle cable. I stopped, switched off, and when I tried again it worked fine. This happened again a few days later but I dipped the clutch and restarted while moving and carried on as normal. Both times when rapidly applying full throttle. What could it be?

Thanks for your help.

Richard

Weasle

check your linkage on top of gear box hard to see but are bad for going rusty and snapping off bits ..second 90% of the time its your turbo sticking under hard acc car goes into limp home mode (no power) until you turn ign on and off you need a new turbo :cry:

smokinfox1474

Thanks

Thanks for your reply Weasle,

You are right about the linkage. I disconnected the cables from the gear lever inside the car and that then moved freely. I greased the linkage on top of the gearbox and it has been ok for a few days. I am going to order a new linkage soon. Do you know if the cables easily pop onto the new linkage or is it a bit harder than that?

On the subject of lost power, I had heard of the limp home mode from other threads but my engine wouldn't limp anywhere. It literally would not rev above idle. I suppose it could have chugged along in gear at 900rpm but obviously that's neither safe or practical. For the time being I will just drive with a light right boot.

Thanks again for your reply.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.