engine gone rebuild or replace

big phill

big n proud
Feb 12, 2005
scunthorpe
ok driveing along today and the engine just cuts out it'll start but not stay running
about 30 min later the engine starts again and runs for about 20 min and then it cuts out again
it can't be that the throttle boddies need cleaning as they were cleaned out last month.
have been told could be the coil pacs if so how much are these? and how easy to fit?
thanx for the advice

Last edited:

big phill

big n proud
Feb 12, 2005
scunthorpe
as its the leads what can i get to replace them and i might as well do the plugs aswell any one recommend a set of plugs and leads for the car or should i stick standard ones back in

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Coil was replaced in the 90ks mate, leads were replaced just after i got her, and i think plugs same time. So as she's lived outside for the last two years i'd go for plugs and leads first.

Coils about £90 iirc.

big phill

big n proud
Feb 12, 2005
scunthorpe
fixed it it new dizzy cap, rotory arm, ht leads, and plugs
just a shame i didn't have some money left this month otherwise i would of bought some upgraded ones instead of some cheep ones but never mind
oh yeah thanks for the help

big phill

big n proud
Feb 12, 2005
scunthorpe
ok so i didn't fix it still running like s**t took to a garage and its dropped a ring there appears to be no oil in it.
The biggest problem is there is no noticable leak no oil in the 3 places where i park
heres the interesting part it was serviced on the 18/08/08 so 4 weeks ago and i have only done 350miles since the service
if the garage arn't interested then does anyone know where i can get this done or would it be cheeper to buy a new engine?

big phill

big n proud
Feb 12, 2005
scunthorpe
ok garage said "so what" so now heres my choice
  1. rebuild the engine cost of £1500ish
  2. replace the engine cost uknown
  3. sell for spare or repairs and buy another car
the only prob is i like the car and how it drives and don't have much money deffinatly not £1500 so would have to have it sat on driveway for winter atleast

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
engine swap is easy... but the cost is in knowing that the engine is 'good' - but it'll be cheaper than rebuilding

martin_hill_198

Apr 21, 2008
buy a 2nd hand onw make sure it looks good and has a servie histort..dont need the box or lookm.. get one for about £200 at most easy to fit and when u get give it a gd service and check the cam belt and sud be all gd

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Where's the oil gone then and what dropping a ring?!?!?!

Your gonna have noticed 4 litres of oil draining out or burning off, it just doesnt sound right somewhere. Is this a trusted garage.

old 'uns

Modern Life is Rubbish...
Mar 20, 2003
walsall
Visit site
ok so i didn't fix it still running like s**t took to a garage and its dropped a ring there appears to be no oil in it.
The biggest problem is there is no noticable leak no oil in the 3 places where i park
heres the interesting part it was serviced on the 18/08/08 so 4 weeks ago and i have only done 350miles since the service
if the garage arn't interested then does anyone know where i can get this done or would it be cheeper to buy a new engine?

ok, so dropped a ring because of no oil, no visible signs of leaks, serviced 4 weeks ago...
hmmmmmm....i smell fish, no i think its a big f**k off shark

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
hmmmmmm....i smell fish, no i think its a big f**k off shark

Who serviced it? they did put oil back in the bloody thing didnt they?

However absolutely no oil would of set off a whole array of dash lights i'm sure, i remeber the oil light flashing when the head gasket went and it still had oil!

I'm agreeing this garage is trying to pull a fast one, somethings not adding up!

big phill

big n proud
Feb 12, 2005
scunthorpe
gonna try the garage again tomorrow talk to the owner known and used this garage for years ever since i bought my first seat from them. the problem is they are saying 4 weeks after they have done the service anything could of happened.
This is partly my fault i havn't checked the oil as i just assumed that a month and 350mile there would still be oil in there i normally check it every other week
have looked at other engines they are about £400inc delivery
problem with this is i dont know much about engines except they run and break down
found them here
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-VOLKSWAGEN...2664847QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116
will this fit and how much will i need to change over
does anyone good with engine swaps live near me :cry:
other than this i am going to take off the head and see if i can get the garage down on price still might be valve stem oil seal or some thing else that doesn't need a full rebuild

big phill

big n proud
Feb 12, 2005
scunthorpe
other than this i will sell it spares or repairs how much do you think i could get body work in good condition except one small dint at the back and a big scuff on back bumper but no rust
also has full service history and a mountain of paperwork for eveything ever done to it

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Swapping for another ABF should be relatively straight forward, just the engine and thats it.

Did the car give any warning of this at all, dash lights etc

Is there really no oil in it? Have you checked? its got to of gone some where either in a HUGE cloud of blue smoke or a big puddle on the drive.

Does she drive? Make any strange noises? a car with no oil should make a good old clatter.

I'm almost tempted to come see it for myself, this just doesnt add up.

Cordys are going spares or repair on the bay for £300 ish :(

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.