engine gone rebuild or replace

big phill

big n proud
Feb 12, 2005
scunthorpe
Swapping for another ABF should be relatively straight forward, just the engine and thats it.

Did the car give any warning of this at all, dash lights etc

Is there really no oil in it? Have you checked? its got to of gone some where either in a HUGE cloud of blue smoke or a big puddle on the drive.

Does she drive? Make any strange noises? a car with no oil should make a good old clatter.

I'm almost tempted to come see it for myself, this just doesnt add up.

Cordys are going spares or repair on the bay for £300 ish :(

no no warning lights or anything
the oil is down at the bottom of the dipstick just under the minimum bend
no smoke or puddles in the main places i park
she is missing and compression is down on one cilinder
only fireing on 3 so sounds rough as fcuk
no real clatter as said in the first post the engine just cut out on me as i was driving got the dizzycap htleads and rotary arm fitted them and now it sounds like **** was a bit rough but just thought it was an old engine and to be honest sounded the same when i bought it from you ( no blame there)
will know more hopefully tomorrow when i get the head off

who knows if the vr6 is as easy to fit as they say then might upgrade:funk:

Last edited:

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
you checked the exhaust/manifolds? If theres a leak it could be why a cylinders not firing right.

Wouldn't explain the oil missing though, never had oil issues with it apart from when the head went.

I know what you mean about the noise but it sounded like that the whole two years i had her. totally baffled.

andyj

There's no F in Quality..
hang on..... you say that the oil is just below the 'min' mark.... that means there's still about 3-3.5L of oil in there.... as it takes 4.5L to get to the max mark from 'empty' and only 1L to get from min to max

'if' the garage put 4.5L in at the service, then yes you have lost 1.5L of oil.

Did you check the dipstick after the service?

Possible that he garage didn't put enough oil in @ the service.

Just thinking, it might be worth asking them how much oil a 2.0 16v engine requires for an oil change... if they say less than 4.5L then they're a bunch of muppets.

Still not sure what's causing it to run rough though, as 3.5L should still be 'enough' to keep it running......

andyj

have you tried putting the old dizzy and rotor arm back on?

it sounds like it was running ok before you changed them (just cut out occastionally) and now it's running rough....

did you make sure that the dizzy and rotor arm were all in the correct orientation, and you've put the HT leads back on to the dizzy cap in the correct positions?

something along those lines is likely to be causing the mis-fire etc

big phill

big n proud
Feb 12, 2005
scunthorpe
yeah the all whent back in the right order but there is a drop in compression in one of the plug holes sorry dont know what else to call them.
also doesnt make a difference when theres no ht lead in or not and have tried another lead as well

big phill

big n proud
Feb 12, 2005
scunthorpe
ok spoke to the head of the garage and he had said the same as andy there is still oil in it so thats not the problem. he seems to think that the ht leads my be no good thats why its a miss fire and the compression being down is probably some of the gaskets are on there way out so £40 and i'll have a look tomorrow and sunday at worst it could be valve stem oil seals if its anything more than £200 to fix then i'll be putting in another engine probably another 16v or even been looking at a vr6 conversion

andyj

if the dizzy cap is not in the correct orientation, or the HT haven't been connected up properly, then it'll still give you problem even if you change the leads.

you need to check the dizzy cap is on correctly, and then the leads have been connected up in the correct positions.... try and find a picture on here of the leads connected to the dizzy, so you can check the positioning of yours.....

andyj

this may help:

87896837.78tyNk7A.Image1.jpg

crezz

pedro motorsports
Jun 30, 2007
Woolacombe
i had my engine rebuilt which was everything for just over £1k, thats not including taking out the engine and putting back in

big phill

big n proud
Feb 12, 2005
scunthorpe
ok so wanting to take my car to peices tomorrow afternoon so what i need to know is the timing order and can anyone point me in the right direction for some instructions on how to take the head off preferably with pics or well written instructions

big phill

big n proud
Feb 12, 2005
scunthorpe
ok so thank god for that had a play with it and it now runs how it always has
still low on compression so will have to look into that but at least its not a new engine
only thing now is it still cuts out after about 20 mins,(same as origonal problem)
going to try and get it to seat dealers tomorrow to have a look coz i'm out of ideas

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
ok so thank god for that had a play with it and it now runs how it always has
still low on compression so will have to look into that but at least its not a new engine
only thing now is it still cuts out after about 20 mins,(same as origonal problem)
going to try and get it to seat dealers tomorrow to have a look coz i'm out of ideas

Compression means there's a leak somewhere maybe a manifold? Cutting out i'm not sure on, must be something heat related so this would point to electrics. My polo used to do this and it was the Hall Sender unit, but i don't really know if the 16v has this part.

Bring her to the meet on sunday, i'll bring you a haynes to borrow and we'll go over her there too as between 40 of us there should be some knowledge.

Don't take her to SEAT you'll waste your cash in all honesty as half the techies there will never have seen a 2.0 16v! Any reputable VAG people in your area?, sure they charge less than the £80 hour labour charge of a dealer!!!

big phill

big n proud
Feb 12, 2005
scunthorpe
my dealer will only charge me £45 per hour and the head mechanic that is the only one that tends to work on my car has been there for about 12 years so he was there when they first come out
the problem with bringing her to the meet is that it will only run for 20 min then it'll stop and will need about an hour to cool down enough for me to drive another 20-30 min which would mean it will take me about 4 hours to get there lol

big phill

big n proud
Feb 12, 2005
scunthorpe
tell you one thing i wont be using the garage that told me i'm only running on 3 cilinders as they were wrong and they hadn't even put the ht leads on in the right order.

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
tell you one thing i wont be using the garage that told me i'm only running on 3 cilinders as they were wrong and they hadn't even put the ht leads on in the right order.

prob because they put them on in the wrong order that you were on 3 cylinders!!!!

Good about having an experienced one at the local, must only be a few out there that have people that long so you've landed on your feet.

With the cutting out and not going its definately igniton/dizzy then.

Sounds exactly like my hall sender problem!!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members