engine idle issues

kevp2518

Aug 26, 2008
Manchester
Hi everyone,

Wondering if you can give me some advise before I spend a lot of money I may not need to.
I have an Ibiza FR 130 and currently when in idle I am getting a lot of vibration from the engine. I have had the dual mass fly wheel and clutch replaced in the past 12 months along with all the engine mounts.
My regular garage believe this to be an issue with an injector over fuelling the engine.
Other than having the injectors replaced running into several hundred pounds does anyone know of anything else that could help resolve this issue?
I have tried redex for diesel engines but didn't do anything at all.

Thanks in advanced.

Kevin

Badger

Dec 2, 2012
Newcastle, Staffs
Injector looms are common. They cause lumpy idle but pull fine throughout the Rev range.

They are pretty cheap to replace but you could get them tested.

VCDS usually shows an uneven injector reading too.

kevp2518

Aug 26, 2008
Manchester
Ok so had the car in the garage for abit, and now got her back.
Had the Injectors sent off and pressure tested and all working fine with correct spray pattern.
Had a new dual mass fly wheel fitted as the previous one had a lot of play inside.
Also had the EGR valve cleaned by the garage.
Car still vibrates a lot to the point where you can feel it in the vehicle and see things moving also.
Running out of ideas here, is it worth maybe running some shell diesel for a while? currently fill up from Tesco.
Also What do people think about getting the engine terra cleaned?

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
Ok so had the car in the garage for abit, and now got her back.
Had the Injectors sent off and pressure tested and all working fine with correct spray pattern.
Had a new dual mass fly wheel fitted as the previous one had a lot of play inside.
Also had the EGR valve cleaned by the garage.
Car still vibrates a lot to the point where you can feel it in the vehicle and see things moving also.
Running out of ideas here, is it worth maybe running some shell diesel for a while? currently fill up from Tesco.
Also What do people think about getting the engine terra cleaned?

Mine has always done this from 7 miles new.

Try turning on the rear heated screen and the aircon and see if it smooths out. Mine only does this when warming up between 70-90 deg. I just run the aircon all the time now.

Its actually a weak fuel mix problem / design fault. Under warrentee mine went back in 4 times and they eventually admitted they could not cure it.

kevp2518

Aug 26, 2008
Manchester
Not sure on the wiring loom being checked I would have to double check with the garage when I can.

It does this all the time, even after driving a few hundred miles so definitely not the warming up.
It's odd as its only in idol, press the accelerator slightly to increase the rpm by maybe 50 and it smooth as anything.
Just odd as I've had the car two and a half years and it's only been doing this the last year.
Firstly it was the DMF needing replacing then the engine mounts, I've done all that.

Badger

Dec 2, 2012
Newcastle, Staffs
What you're describing is the symptoms of injector loom failure. Only on idle, smooth on acceleration.

If it's not that, it could be a worn camshaft, however, any decent garage would of spotted this when removing the injectors.

kevp2518

Aug 26, 2008
Manchester
Ok so finally replaced the engine wiring loom, this has made no change to the issue what so ever.
Mechanic did say there is some play in the gearbox mount ( replaced last year)
Doing some research standard ones are prone to failure.
anyone know where I can get an upgraded gearbox mount? found one but its well over £120.

Badger

Dec 2, 2012
Newcastle, Staffs
There are two gearbox mounts, a rear and top. Both are prone to fail.

The rear one can be replaced with a poly bush (£30) as you've said top ones are not cheap.

You could get a second hand one fitted and fill it with Sikaflex...

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members