Engine Idle Speed

wheelwright

Nov 28, 2002
Birmingham
Visit site
07 plate FRTDi 3700 miles on it and having a strange problem with engine idle.

Basically get the car up to normal running temp and the tick-over when idling
at stand still sits at 1000rpm instead of the usual 750rpm. I can rev it but it makes
no difference to it.

IF i turn the car off and re-start it ticks over at 750rpm but may go back to 1000rpm,
The car when this happens don't feel as quick, no kick in the back off it.

On average i get approx 32mpg but i wouldn't say i floor it everywhere.

Its been into Seat who ran a diagnostic and said no problems found BUT i know
something somewhere is not right, have also noticed lately on the cold morning start
it feels a bit lumpy on idle,

Any opinions, ideas ??

hundleton1

Nov 10, 2007
Pembrokesihre, Wales
Sounds like the ecu is detecting some sort of extra load on the engine and is increasing the idle to compensate for it, do you have the climate control on? It could be the air con causing it,

spugg333

My 170 does this on a regular basis due to the fact that week days my better half uses the car andonly does a few miles a day,I believe its the dpf burning the deposits off.Take the car for a good run and if it is the same as mine it will settle it`s self back down to 750 rpm,The problem is caused by low speed stop/start motoring (is this the type of motoring your Leon does)When I get to use it on a weekend:cry:I like to see how deep I can get the go peddle into the axminster;)that seems to do the trick:funk:

wheelwright

Nov 28, 2002
Birmingham
Visit site
hundleton1,

Does leaving the heater on eco mean the climate control/compressor is running? What setting is your heater on?
As it sounds like you dont get the problem i have.......

spugg333,

The car does do short runs but i do give it a blast where and when possible(never had the DPF light on)
But surely if i drove like a pensioner i'd see DPF and get more than the 32mpg i'm getting??

Are your 170's lumpy on start up in the morning??

yellowperil

May 17, 2005
hundleton1,

Does leaving the heater on eco mean the climate control/compressor is running? What setting is your heater on?

spugg333,

The car does do short runs but i do give it a blast where and when possible(never had the DPF light on)
But surely if i drove like a pensioner i'd see DPF and get more than the 32mpg i'm getting??

Are your 170's lumpy on start up in the morning??

Mine runs fine at tickover on a morning. However the power delivery is very rough for the first 30 seconds or so.
This happens every morning no matter what the weather is like. Wouldnt matter but i live 10ft from the A64 so cant gat car going on side roads first.

jonnyash

fr 170 tdi
Jun 6, 2007
north somerset
My 170 does this on a regular basis due to the fact that week days my better half uses the car andonly does a few miles a day,I believe its the dpf burning the deposits off.Take the car for a good run and if it is the same as mine it will settle it`s self back down to 750 rpm,The problem is caused by low speed stop/start motoring (is this the type of motoring your Leon does)When I get to use it on a weekend:cry:I like to see how deep I can get the go peddle into the axminster;)that seems to do the trick:funk:

mine used to do this as well when was first mapped but hasnt done it now for a while. it is correct its the engine creating more heat for the dpf to burn off the soot deposit in the fiter

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
hundleton1,

press auto - climate control - pump on
press eco - air con - pump on
press eco again - manual - pump off

:)

no matter what setting, the rpm shouldnt increase. if the pump is running the ecu will put more petrol/diesel in to maintain idle rpm.

hundleton1

Nov 10, 2007
Pembrokesihre, Wales
press auto - climate control - pump on
press eco - air con - pump on

:)

no matter what setting, the rpm shouldnt increase. if the pump is running the ecu will put more petrol/diesel in to maintain idle rpm.

is it not

press auto - climate control - pump on,
press eco - No air con - pump on

Icehquk

Jun 22, 2007
Staffs
I've had this problem too. I do regular motorway driving but had it a few times first thing before I get onto the motorway. Only seems to reset after the ignition is turned off but I too think it's something to do with the dpf. Wouldn't say it was limp mode but does feel slightly sluggish.

hundleton1

Nov 10, 2007
Pembrokesihre, Wales
My understanding of the climate control is as follows,

Auto= uses the climate control to maintain cabin temperature including the air con compressor to keep the temperature at the required level.

Auto + ECON = same as above but without using the air con to maintain the temperature, relies on the temperature of the outside air to cool the car.

Econ on its own = standard heating system with out air con to cool if temperature is set low.

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
from the h/book;

press auto = fully auto - AUTO displayed

press any of the 3 air distribution buttons, either of the fan buttons or ECON = manual aircon - AUTO goes out.

press ECON switches off air con. doesnt say wether ECON should be displayed or not :confused:.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.