Engine juddering when I put my foot down

boyscott

They were NGK PZFR5D-11. Has a VW logo which prob. doubles the price!
I didn't have time to shop around - Halfords didn't stock them but the dealer did. The other place who quoted wanted a day to get a delivery but they were the same price.
Cheers

uniamboman

Juddering fixed!!

At the weekend I tackled replacing lots of parts on my 1.0 Arosa, and I'm pleased to say my juddering problem appears to have completely disappeared! :funk:

I replaced:

Front brake discs
Front brake pads
All x4 spark plugs
Pollen/cabin filter
Fuel filter

I'm pretty certain it's the spark plugs that were the cause of the judder - x2 of them were completely worn down, so much so that the tips were pretty non-existant! My own fault, they hadn't been replaced since the car was new, and it's done 55,000 miles!!

All the jobs went very well and easily, except the fuel filter. It was difficult to remove, and then when I went to fit the replacement, I had difficulty. I bought a non-genuine fuel filter, and it came with blue plastic connectors - well to cut a long story short, these do not appear compatible with the fuel pipes on an Arosa. I broke the existing connectors getting the fuel pipes off the existing filter, so I now currently have the new filter fitted, but not 100% correctly - the pipes are pushed onto the new filter securely, but are not 100% securely. But no fuel leaks at all so I'm happy! Only a temporary measure though, going to buy a genuine Seat fuel filter ASAP and fit it properly.

A little tip which luckily I did was once I had fitted the rearmost fuel pipe onto the new fuel filter, I thought I ought to prime the filter. This was achieved very easily by getting my Dad to hold the filter over a can (to catch the fuel), whilst I switched the ignition on, then off, a few times, until fuel was coming through the filter. Didn't actually start the engine up, only turned ignition on.

Got all the parts from AVS (www.vwspares.co.uk). Everything I got, apart from the fuel filter, fitted perfectly and appears very good quality. It seems they don't sell cheap rubbish. I can recommend them fully.

1LW, I would advise you to check your spark plugs, as my juddering was only intermittent too, and it sounds like you have a very similar problem to me.

The spark plugs from www.vwspares.co.uk are made by Beru (the same company that manufacturers the OEM HT leads on my Arosa), and for the AUC engine (like mine), cost £3.98 each. They seem very good quality, and I'm 99% sure they are platinum ones (I've thrown the boxes away now, but can remember). In fact I'm 99.99999% sure!

Hope that helps.

estefano

Hi.
At the begining i want to say Hi to all of you :) I'm new in here and i have problem with my 1.0 Arosa (year 99).

I have the same problem like uniamboman, but sometimes i have also problems with starting the car, sometimes it start without any problems, and sometimes i have to turn it for about 10-15 seconds, and today i can't start it at all :( so i'm really mad at the moment :( later i will check is there a spark on sprak plugs, but i need another person for that. I don't think that this is problem with not enough fuel because sprak plugs are wet so fuel is going over there. And one more thing. It's using lots of fuel, on full tank i can make only about 200 miles :/

My car have 40k miles on the clock.

I already changed:

spark plugs
HT leads
fuel filter
air filter
oil and oil filter
i added some fuel flush liquid
i done ECU reset aswell

I just ordered cable to connect ECU to my laptop, but i will get it in about two weeks, and i have to sort it out before that :/

Please help :)

Cheers

Edit:
I just checked spark, and it's ok. I managed to start it but for the first minute it was running like crap and i had to pump gas all the time to let it run, so maybe afterall it's something with fuel? One of my friend told me that there should be some kind of gasket in fuel pump which is not letting fuel to go back to the tank, and he told me that maybe it's used and it's not working properly so i should change that gasket, but he dont know is it possible in Arosa, because in some cars it's impossible to disassamble fuel pump.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

uniamboman

Just an update, I can confirm my juddering problem has been completely solved after changing the spark plugs and fuel filter. I'm 99% sure it was the spark plugs causing it.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
was just running down the list to say plugs and leads - especially the ones with the silly metals caps on the end - have a habit of misfiring inside

just to add for the warning light one - is your throttle a cable or fly by wire ?

early mk3 ibiza's used to have a problem all the time with fly by wire pedals and would spring a light up after similar symptoms - usually a reset/clean did the trick but had a few with dodgy connectors from water ingress

worth a thought if it flags up a fault in that area

Debbie

I have been experiencing this problem since I left my car standing unused over the Christmas period. My car tends to drive perfectly for about the first mile or so and then as soon as I brake and then accelerate again the engine peters out. I have to constantly rev the engine to get any power. yesterday the whole thing just died and would not restart!!

It has been mentioned that it might have something to do with the key not working with the immobiliser. I am in the middle of locating my spare keys but just wondered what you guys think?

Debbie

Please accept my apologies for the double post.

After reading the whole of this thread and still not really any the wiser as to what the problem is I might be willing to take your advice and replace the filters, spark plugs etc.

BUT what I need to know is................would you get it fixed or sell the car. The reason I ask is the the central locking in the drivers door is broken and I have been quoted £250 for it to be fixed. There are large scrape marks on the passenger door from where I had an accident last week. I have no idea on prices for body work and spraying so that needs doing as well. And then there is this juddering.......

The car is probably only worth £1200 at the most and could maybe get £600 Part exchange....

I am torn as I know nothing about cars and wouldnt know if I was getting ripped off by a garage..

Please help

R3bb

Oct 28, 2007
Well, as a guide for pricing, mine doesn't have central locking, and my fitter quoted me £50 per door to supply and fit. Standard Seat/VAG equipment might costa bit more to fix, but not £250.

Bodywork is unanswerable without seeing it, but mobile sprayers are often cheaper.

Also depends on what part of the country you live. London prices for Arosas & labour is higher than say Scotland.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members