Engine light - coolant temp sensor

Booya

LCR 225
Nov 17, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
Hey folks,

A while ago my engine light came on, I did a scan, got a code for the coolant temp sensor. I changed the sensor and reset the code, all was well. Since then, I have had the engine light come on again twice. It seems to come on during a longer drive i.e. an hour on a motorway as opposed to a 30min trip through town. If I scan it I get the same code indicating the coolant temp sensor.

Any ideas what my issue could be? I should point out that my temp gauge has been reading inaccurately for quite some time but has presented no issues. could they be related?

Thanks in advance.

747_727

Apr 2, 2012
Essex
Did you fit genuine sender? I fitted a cheap Ebay one and it caused lots if running faults and made the engine light come on.
Even if its genuine it could be faulty or have a wiring fault or the plug could be loose?

747_727

Apr 2, 2012
Essex
You could check to see if there is a spilt on the wires or if you had a multi metre you could check if there is power going to all the pins.

747_727

Apr 2, 2012
Essex
The stats do go wrong on these engines mine needed replacing as the temp kept going up and down. Not sure my it would bring the engine light on though as its not an electrical item?

Kambo

Mar 28, 2013
Hants
Coolant temp sensor code has been known to come on even after changing the sensor itself, had mine come up soon after purchase, renewed coolant and thermostat and the temp sensor with a genuine one and it still came up straight after I cleared it, next time it went away and came back couple of days later

Popped the plug off (temp sensor) and sprayed some Deoxit (same stuff us guys use on the glow plug harness) never had it come back since in 10k of driving

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members